Calais

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
robing

Calais

Post by robing »

I'm planning to get the ferry back from Calais to Dover on the return from a cycle tour. I'm just wondering did anyone experience any difficulties with the migrant situation last year - and did you feel vulnerable/threatened on a bike? Is Calais probably best avoided?
sabrutat

Re: Calais

Post by sabrutat »

I caught the Calais - Dover returning from the Alps in August. I actually went looking for the 'migrant problem' because I had a few hours to kill, but I couldn't find hide nor hair of any of the type of things being shown on the news. I think it's been blown vastly out of proportion by the media.
pwa

Post by pwa »

There certainly have been problems with migrants trying to get on the ferries, but I've not heard of any attacks on tourists, cycling or otherwise. As things are at the moment, I would not be worried.
robgul

Post by robgul »

I would suggest that you approach the port area from the town side rather than from the east/south - that way you are in the "built up and populated" area for longer.

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

I was in calais (in a motor vehicle) last summer. Migrants everywhere. Mostly at the hypermarket looking for cheap booze and fags.
So seriously, there were a good few wandering around looking bored, small groups of security guards with dogs here, van loads of police there, nothing happening. We hear on the ever-so-politically-correct daily wail that they are getting keener to move on, perhaps its the cold wet weather. Why they want to come here to avoid British weather I dont know, perhaps they get housed while we have our own people living in shop doorways. Anyway, that wont smuggle themselves onto a train or ferry hidden away in a saddlebag, so you should be ok. Barring the low-life element that want to nick your bike to sell on, get enough cash to pay the gansters who are smuggling people across.
Id want to be in daylight populated places with plenty of passers by.
Better off going to Bologne. Its a lot prettier a place to stop and fail to find a decent cup of tea.
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

Agreed that Boulogne is a nicer town but it doesn't have a ferry service any more. Closest alternative would be Le Shuttle or Dunkirk.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Bologne !!! The ferry service(s) stopped back in 2010. :mrgreen:
robing

Post by robing »

Actually, Dunkirk might be preferable, then it would be a full 'diagonale' from Hendaye. Where does the ferry go to from Dunkirk?
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

robing wrote:Where does the ferry go to from Dunkirk?
A little south of the main town. Easy to see on a map and easy enough to get to, I was approaching from the east. I used it 2 years ago and just missed a ferry by 10 minutes (boarding closed) so had to wait 2 hours for the next one. The waiting area was nice enough with coffee and snack machines.

Calais, ok it has been about 4 years since I last went via Calais, but I left towards the east by following roads along a canal. Nowhere did I see any problem.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

robing wrote:Actually, Dunkirk might be preferable, then it would be a full 'diagonale' from Hendaye. Where does the ferry go to from Dunkirk?

It goes to Dover from Dunkirk. The Dunkirk ferries are run by DFDS and it may be best to book with them even if travelling Dover Calais because any trouble closing that port they divert the Calais boats to Dunkirk. I don't think any of the other companies are able to do this because they don't have facilities there.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pulseezar

Post by pulseezar »

We've been to and from Calais a couple of times last summer at the height of the media hysteria and Daily Heil xenophobia but had absolutely no issues at all. Went to and from the town and also to and from the East and had no problems either time. Think it is very unlikely that anyone is going to be trying to get across on your bike.
robing

Post by robing »

It sounds like Calais isn't too bad then. I guess there's a free campsite nearby ;-)
windysmithy

Post by windysmithy »

There certainly is, but very few of the european volunteers stay there overnight any more. Although almost all the residents are sound, there are certainly enough wrong'uns to make a decent nights sleep unlikely.
If youve got 3 or more days to spare on your travels, there is always a need for volunteers at the Auberge des Migrants warehouse shelter workshop and distribution centre, a mile or two from the Jungle. Camping space is basic but feasable there for volunteers. If youre up for volunteering, email calaisaid@gmail.com or if you have building skills calaisbuild@gmail.com Best not take your nice bike onto the jungle though, they are like gold dust.

If you want to avoid the humanitarian crisis situation altogether, just cycle through town, rather than approach the port from the east side. Its been a huge eye opening experience for those of us who have got involved with helping these mostly wonderful people, and i wouldn't miss chicken and rice in the Afghan Flag restaurant for anything.

http://www.windysmithy.co.uk/blog/jungle-shelters-and-burners-film-david-rafique
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

windysmithy wrote:. .

This thread has the makings for descending into a PC v non PC political argument. Your comments make it clear what camp you are in (no pun intended) - there are some who have views diametrically opposed to your own. IMO this is a primarily a cycling forum and the original thread was Calais.
For what it's worth I've cycled and driven through Calais on numerous occasions through the years. Even several years ago one had to be careful about having bikes and equipment stolen - so not linked to recent issues. Other than that I've had no problems recently.
The "Cyclo club Calaisien" has a randonee in early June which I intend to ride as I have on several occasions in the past.
windysmithy

Post by windysmithy »

I guess it depends what sort of c you like your p in. A lot of Cycle tourists are interested in expanding their horizons and it has been a pleasure to meet and work with people from countries that I have long wanted to visit. Having spent decades travelling ( in the take home and family from workplace to workplace variety), I and others have a curious affinity with the travel weary and itinerant residents of the jungle, whatever their motivations or intended destination. Believe me , I cannot recommend youkay as a land of milk and honey and it is increasingly unlikely that many of these will find safe passage north. A winter under Canvas on a windy landfill is the best option for the moment. What the long term holds, I have no idea, but please not a civil war in our land between bickering ideologues. A lot of recent refugees had no idea 2, 3 or 5 years ago that this would one day be their lot.
If you have ever considering travelling in Ethiopia Eritrea Syria Afghanistan Iraq iran Kurdistan sudan , or if you fear that this may never now be possible, then then bear in mind that by walking the 1 mile length of the camp, you will meet people from all these countries and more. Sort of what cycle touring is all about, for many of us.

But yes your bikes going to get nicked unless you park it somewhere safe.