Glasgow to Oban

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
IanCh

Glasgow to Oban

Post by IanCh »

Looking for a pleasant cycling route between Glasgow and Oban. I'm familiar with the cycle route to Balloch. The A82/A85 looks the shortest and at 93 miles, just about doable in a day with pannier bags. I have been the Rest and be thankful/Inveraray route and enjoyed it. I just wondered if local members could advise on an alternative, pleasant, route?
irc

Re: Glasgow to Oban

Post by irc »

An option is the local train to Helensburgh. Runs every 30 mins. No need to book bikes. Then A814 to Arrocher followed by your choice of A82 or A83.

From Taynuilt take the back road through Glen Lunan to get away from the main road for a few miles.

If you want to ride every mile and not use trains/ferries then I think the A82/A85 or A82 and A83 are the only realistic options.
Nareloc

Post by Nareloc »

A couple of years ago I rode Glasgow to Oban. First down to Ardrossan, ferry to Arran, overnight at the SYHA in Lochranza, ferry to Claonaig then north to Tarbert, Crinnan Canal then up to Oban. Great, quiet, and scenic route!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

2008, I rode Oban to Arran.
Nice ride. :D
Screen Shot 2016-02-21 at 16.54.02.png
Mick F. Cornwall
largeallan

Post by largeallan »

I did a similar route to Mick, but got the ferry from Wemyss Bay to Rothesay. Cycled up Bute then the short ferry crossing over to Colintraive on the mainland. After that, a lovely cycle to Portavadie and another ferry to Tarbert on Kintyre.....quality cycling!! We camped at lochgilphead,and pedalled to Kilmartin via the Crinan canal path which was very pleasant indeed.