Northamptonshire/Bedfordshire/Cambridgeshire tour advice

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
keithlackie

Northamptonshire/Bedfordshire/Cambridgeshire tour advice

Post by keithlackie »

Hello,

I would appreciate the Forum's advice on possible bike tour routes around the above three counties. I currently reside in Wollaston (nr. Wellingborough, Northamptonshire), which is pretty close to all three counties, and would like to ride out of my home and go four a two/three/four day tour. I'm quite new to the area.

I would be looking to cycle 30-50 miles per day, and prefer to take the quietist route available. My bike is rigid and road-orientated but can do reasonable off road. I would also like to camp along the way as I find this more adventurous, but I also appreciate hot showers!

Thank you in advance for any help, and if anyone would like meet up for a ride then let me know. I'm a fairly slow 'take it easy' rider and stop to take the odd photo.

Keith
foxyrider

Re: Northamptonshire/Bedfordshire/Cambridgeshire tour advice

Post by foxyrider »

used to live in Wellingborough but I'm a little out of touch with how much traffic is about now! Used to ride up to Leicester, down to MK, across to Coventry/Banbury, out to Peterborough/Huntingdon as day rides, often hardly seeing traffic outside of the towns. Campsites are not in huge supply - Thrapston/Oundle/Peterborough/Grafham/Huntingdon/Towcester/Emberton/Stony Stratford are ones I recall. There are road bike rideable bridleways out to the east and up towards Bosworth.

The Eleanor Cross route will give you a nice cross section through Northants from Stamford down to Northampton and beyond.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
whizzzz

Post by whizzzz »

keithlackie wrote:Hello,

I would appreciate the Forum's advice on possible bike tour routes around the above three counties. I currently reside in Wollaston (nr. Wellingborough, Northamptonshire), which is pretty close to all three counties, and would like to ride out of my home and go four a two/three/four day tour. I'm quite new to the area.

I am not sure on the campsite front, but there might be a few around the Towcester and Silverstone ( South Northants area ), the small roads around there are fairly easy going and there are some nice routes around Stoke Bruerne ( nice for a visit and has a nice pub / cafe on the canal ), Paulerspury etc.. If not there are B&Bs about to cater for visitors to the race track near Silverstone.

Between Market Harborough and Northampton is a nice railway track ride ( Sustrans Cycle Route 6 ) which goes through a couple of long tunnels and other than a couple of times it crosses roads its car free. Its a nice easy ride on a good track but remember to take a light!

I hope the above helps and please let us know which route you plan to take !
pwa

Post by pwa »

If you look at the Audax UK website's calendar of events and find the Heart of England 300 (starts in Cirencester) you will find a printable route sheet. The easternmost part of the ride might be of interest to you. It travels from the Bosworth area down to Daventry, and it mostly follows quiet rural roads. Definitely worth a look if you need a few pointers in that area.
truckturner

Post by truckturner »

Some rides in the opposite direction. I live in Earls Barton which is 5 miles from you and am looking at some short tours up to the Norfolk Coast from here. As yet I have not worked out a route but it seems the best option for a longer tour and there are sure to be a site or two open . Good back roads from here to Leicester area around Rutland where there are a number of Camping Club sites. This makes a nice 3 day tour to include Oakham. I use OS 1-50 maps and work out a route. I generally find the minor roads quiet between 10 and 3 and cycle around Harrold, Turvey and Olney 3 times a week on my day rides. lovely part of the world even in winter

Peter
mjr

Post by mjr »

truckturner wrote:Some rides in the opposite direction. I live in Earls Barton which is 5 miles from you and am looking at some short tours up to the Norfolk Coast from here. As yet I have not worked out a route but it seems the best option for a longer tour and there are sure to be a site or two open . Good back roads from here to Leicester area around Rutland where there are a number of Camping Club sites. [...]

I can help with links from Rutland Water to the Norfolk Coast: I think it should be fairly easy to find a back roads route to Spalding and then miles 60-100 of http://cycle.travel/map/journey/14880 is one way to the Norfolk Coast, or continue to Holbeach and pick up miles 0-23 of http://cycle.travel/map/journey/12672 - or follow NCR 63 from Spalding to March and http://cycle.travel/map/journey/6454 is the rest of the route in, avoiding the collapsing Belt Drove.

I'm interested to read of new routes opening up in the N/B/C area. I knew about NCR 6 but it used to be pretty poor cycling around south Northants: busy roads and no infrastructure.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
truckturner

Post by truckturner »

Thanks for the links will spend some time on this site tonight cheers