America: the bizarre

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
TonyR

Re: America: the bizarre

Post by TonyR »

pwa wrote:As I said before, risk of physical harm is not everything. Nobody would climb Everest or even go skiing if we let physical danger dictate our actions all the time. And life is always fatal.

Yes, but most people climbing Everest are well prepared for what they are about to face and even then about one in twenty five of them don't come back down. And as an amateur skier you don't jump straight into the nearest chute and expect to survive. If you are familiar with the high risk areas in the USA and well prepared it can be fine but just jumping on a bike and riding through without that preparation and local knowledge would be a bit like jumping into a couloir on your first day on skis. Stick to the green runs though and you should be fine.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Maybe the OP can find a local guide? If I wanted to tour the worst bits of Detroit, that's what I would do. If I knew someone who knew the area who would go with me, though? I'd probably be willing, at least for some areas.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pwa

Post by pwa »

Vorpal wrote:Maybe the OP can find a local guide? If I wanted to tour the worst bits of Detroit, that's what I would do. If I knew someone who knew the area who would go with me, though? I'd probably be willing, at least for some areas.

There are areas in British cities that I would avoid on a bicycle. If you add in the higher murder rate of many such areas in the US, and the much greater level of gun possession, surely the need to avoid cycling there must be greater. But we all find our own risk levels......
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I cannot see why anyone would want to cycle around the rust belt. Much of it is run down, flat and uninteresting. Good areas to cycle around would be Washington, Lancaster County which is charming, and the Williamsburg area which is very interesting. There are areas in Washington to avoid just like any big city. A lot of people seem wound up about cycling across America. You definately wont get the best of it doing that, its a very diverse country.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
pwa

Post by pwa »

al_yrpal wrote:I cannot see why anyone would want to cycle around the rust belt. Much of it is run down, flat and uninteresting. Good areas to cycle around would be Washington, Lancaster County which is charming, and the Williamsburg area which is very interesting. There are areas in Washington to avoid just like any big city. A lot of people seem wound up about cycling across America. You definately wont get the best of it doing that, its a very diverse country.

Al

Washington is one of the dodgiest cities in the developed world, often cited as one of the problem cities in the US. I'd take particular care there.

Cycling across America is one of those End to End things, done largely as an endurance challenge.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I have walked all over Washington, day and evening after dark, of course you avoid the sink bits… doh!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
pwa

Post by pwa »

al_yrpal wrote:I have walked all over Washington, day and evening after dark, of course you avoid the sink bits… doh!

Al

Of course! But you have to be aware that there are places to avoid, and you have to find out which bits they are. Even in the US the capital city has a reputation for violent crime, so it would be silly to go there with no awareness of the issue.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I give up! Being lectured by someone who has never been there…

Al
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

al_yrpal wrote:I cannot see why anyone would want to cycle around the rust belt. Much of it is run down, flat and uninteresting. Good areas to cycle around would be Washington, Lancaster County which is charming, and the Williamsburg area which is very interesting. There are areas in Washington to avoid just like any big city. A lot of people seem wound up about cycling across America. You definately wont get the best of it doing that, its a very diverse country.

Al

I'd say it depends why you are going and what you are doing. Maybe the OP has done many of the typical tourist attractions and major cities. Or maybe he just isn't interested. Touring the rust belt, or even Detroit - Flint - Toledo - Cleveland, or something like that could be interesting in its own way. The culture is so completely different to tourist stops and small town America. Whilst I wouldn't necessarily recommend someplace like Barking to people who are visiting the UK from another country, If someone is interested in it from a cultural perspective, why not?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
irc

Post by irc »

America is full of surprises. I finished the day in a small town in the midwest. In the local pub the big game was darts. Inter pub leagues and all. Electronic dart boards though. Who knew? Google it and there are darts leagues all over Ohio. A days ride either direction I never saw another dart board.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

irc wrote:America is full of surprises. I finished the day in a small town in the midwest. In the local pub the big game was darts. Inter pub leagues and all. Electronic dart boards though. Who knew? Google it and there are darts leagues all over Ohio. A days ride either direction I never saw another dart board.

In some parts of the US, it's very much a working class game. I played darts some when I worked as a machinist in northern Illinois. It's what we did after work on Fridays (or Sundays if working a weekend shift); cash your paycheck at the bar, get something to eat and drink, then play darts. When I worked in professional roles, I don't recall anyone ever suggesting it as soemthing to do, outside of a teambuilding weekend once. We went bowling, too. :lol:
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

On holiday in Oz and NZ last year we became very friendly with a couple from Phoenix Az because of mutual interests in photography and Jazz. They are coming here in September and will stay with us for a few days and next year we will visit with them. I have been around Phoenix before on business and passing through as a tourist but never spent time there. Theres nothing like being shown around by locals. We love desert landscapes. Plenty of interesting places to take them to around here.

Al
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

al_yrpal wrote:.... I have been around Phoenix before on business and passing through as a tourist but never spent time there. Theres nothing like being shown around by locals. We love desert landscapes. Plenty of interesting places to take them to around here.

Al

Spent a month in Phoenix many years ago. All expenses paid as US subsidiary were trying to persuade me to join them (i.e. go work there). There to train and consider relocation. 1st visited offices and they got out a map and ... you must visit Saguaro National Park, Grand Canyon, etc.. Entire month must have spent less than half a day in the company offices and rest of time travelling round, mostly just out into the deserts; drive somewhere, looks nice, park and go off for a walk. Fantastic time.

But the food really got to me. Far too rich. Ended up eating in a real cheapo salad diner as the only place that didn't pre-smother everything in mayo/full fat dressing/cream/etc.

(Company were generous to the point of ludicrous. Gave me a massive wad of notes before departing and basically said if not enough, they'd pay any/all credit card bills no questions - don't worry about receipts/expenses claims just a credit card bill is fine).

Ian
vjosullivan

Post by vjosullivan »

While we're ignoring the OP and going with dodgy statistics; I just thought I'd throw this into the pot...

Homicides USA : UK
Absolute ratio: 18 : 1
Per head of population: 3.8 : 1
Per square mile: 1 : 2.1

Thereby proving that the US is actually a safer place to be than the UK.

V.
E25
pwa

Post by pwa »

vjosullivan wrote:While we're ignoring the OP and going with dodgy statistics; I just thought I'd throw this into the pot...

Homicides USA : UK
Absolute ratio: 18 : 1
Per head of population: 3.8 : 1
Per square mile: 1 : 2.1

Thereby proving that the US is actually a safer place to be than the UK.

V.

If you go and hide in the desert. The OP was talking about Detroit.