Switzerland, St. Moritz to Martina

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
petevannuys

Switzerland, St. Moritz to Martina

Post by petevannuys »

We're planning a tour for 10 people, riding from St. Moritz to Bolzano IT.
We're roadies, and can ride Hwy 27 in the Inn valley if we must, but prefer "B" roads and paved paths.
We'll be on small wheels-- 406 x 1.5-- so the much used gravel "trekking" paths are not an option.
I've inquired with some tour operators, Swiss tourism, and Graubunden cycle tourism.
They've got a ton of stellar mountain biking and accommodations, but not much for roadies.
Anyone got advice?
First hand knowledge about the routes?
Or whom I should ask?
(Once we get up the switchies to Nauders the Austrians and Italians do a great job of paved alternatives. It's just the Swiss that make it mysterious.)
foxyrider

Re: Switzerland, St. Moritz to Martina

Post by foxyrider »

Whats wrong with the trekking paths? I've used them along the Inntal on more than one occasion with a small wheeled 'road' bike (23c/1" tyres) without issue.

Have you checked out http://veloland.myswitzerland.com/en/veloland.html ? maps/routes for the whole of Switzerland.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

There are a number of options - although I guess it depends to a degree whether you want to avoid the Passo dello Stelvio.

The two Stelvio options are:

- go via the Forcola di Livigno and then down through Livigno into Bormio
- go via Poschiavo down into Tirano and then follow the Sentiero della Valtellina over to Bormio.

Both lovely roads.

You could take the Inn Radweg that avoids the 27 road for much of the way. There are a couple of sections that look like they might be unsurfaced, but with 1.5" tyres you should be be fine. You can climb up to Nauders and from there to to the Reschensee (Lago di Resia) and then follow the Vinschgau Radweg (also part of the via Claudia Augusta) into Meran and then Bozen.

There also looks like there's an interesting road (the 28) via the Passo del Ruorn (Ofenpass) into Mals/Malles. Note though that if you want to pick up that road from Livigno you have to take a bike-shuttle through the Munt de la Schera tunnel.

See my website for more information, on some of this.

This is probably the most useful site for bike-friendly places to stay:

http://www.altarezia.eu
Italy Cycling Guide - a resource for cycle touring in Italy.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I rode up the Umbrail Pass many years ago, which joins the Stelvio Pass road just below its summit. It did involve a short section of poor road surface (a bit gravelly) but was quiet and okay on a loaded tourer. Another favourite was the Albula Pass, with its rail bridges between canyon like cliffs.
cyclingovereurope

Post by cyclingovereurope »

petevannuys wrote:We're planning a tour for 10 people, riding from St. Moritz to Bolzano IT.
We're roadies, and can ride Hwy 27 in the Inn valley if we must, but prefer "B" roads and paved paths.
We'll be on small wheels-- 406 x 1.5-- so the much used gravel "trekking" paths are not an option.

You can go through Martina climbing up to Nauders. I only travelled coming from Austria, I don't know how is the path from St. Moritz to Martina. But from Martina to Nauders you ascend along a low traffic road (that is part of claudia augusta route), then up to Bolzano is a continous paved path just for cycles

From St. Moritz to Martina you can see here:

http://www.veloland.ch/en/routes/route-065.html

from Martina to Bolzano is easy but, if you need, I have the gps tracks