Recommend (or sell!) me a touring frame (disc 700c)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Chiz

Re: Recommend (or sell!) me a touring frame (disc 700c)

Post by Chiz »

Any use? £399 is their SRP, I'm fairly confident a Genesis dealer will do you a deal. Worth pointing out I have two Genesis bikes so might be a little bit biased.

http://www.genesisbikes.co.uk/bikes/adv ... 5-frameset
JaccoW

Post by JaccoW »

How about a Specialized Awol expert frame?
pete75

Post by pete75 »

djoptix wrote:I had spotted those RSP frames, but they're only a disc fork and I'd like the disc on the back too :)

Disc Trucker is a great suggestion, thanks. Probably £320 is about the top end of my budget to be honest - I dare say I could make something back from selling the Kaffenback, as it's one of the swap-out ones which are quite rare.

£1100 is a bit too much in one hit for me, even though I'm sure one could make a good chunk of it back selling the bits.

Triton cycles have Disc trucker 700c framesets for £319. That's in maroon - the blue ones are 40 quid more for some reason.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Heltor Chasca

Recommend (or sell!) me a touring frame (disc 700c)

Post by Heltor Chasca »

pete75 wrote:
djoptix wrote:I had spotted those RSP frames, but they're only a disc fork and I'd like the disc on the back too :)

Disc Trucker is a great suggestion, thanks. Probably £320 is about the top end of my budget to be honest - I dare say I could make something back from selling the Kaffenback, as it's one of the swap-out ones which are quite rare.

£1100 is a bit too much in one hit for me, even though I'm sure one could make a good chunk of it back selling the bits.

Triton cycles have Disc trucker 700c framesets for £319. That's in maroon - the blue ones are 40 quid more for some reason.

Odd really, because the maroon ones are quicker by an average 2mph.

Similarly, red canoes are quicker than green ones.

Glad I can help...b
irc

Post by irc »

JaccoW wrote:How about a Specialized Awol expert frame?

Have you priced them? £700!!! Getting into custom build territory.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... t-ec128708

Another vote for the Disc Trucker here. Cheap for a frameset. And the Truckers are great do it all bikes.
FarOeuf

Post by FarOeuf »

I rode my Trucker in last years Transcontinental race (~350km per day). And I'm just back from a ride down to and around Morocco. I've commuted on it, been out on roadie club rides, audaxed a lot, ridden to Istanbul twice, up through Norway. So long as you have good tyres you don't need to stop when the road runs out either.

I think it's hard to beat as a good value touring frame. Certainly the expensive touring frame I tried (from a well known brand, and ridden 4000km) was pretty poor in comparison to the Trucker.

Although they don't change the frame design, the colours change each year. Frames with older colours tend to be sold off cheaper, as once they're imported they won't be sent back to the US. Mine is maroon, and it's fast.. :)
djoptix

Post by djoptix »

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice - and the not so helpful :)

Stewartpratt wrote:If you happen to be tall, drop me a PM.

Stewart - thanks very much for the message - I'm still considering it. I'm concerned that my skinny fork might look silly on it. I'm going to be in London a bit over the next couple of months - I'll message you either way.

Super cool, but a bit expensive.

rmurphy195 wrote:I have one of these http://www.condorcycles.com/collections ... c-frameset

Super cool, but a bit expensive...

Chiz wrote:Any use? £399 is their SRP

TEH SEX. I loooooooove Genesis. Still a bit expensive, but after the Disc Trucker that's a great option.

Heltor Chasca wrote:Similarly, red canoes are quicker than green ones.

jags

Post by jags »

that condor is one sweet looking bike love the white frame but yeah i think the green would be my choice beautiful .
mind not unless i win the lottery :(
djoptix

Post by djoptix »

b1galus wrote:http://www.shandcycles.com/bikes/stoater/

Super cool, but very very much too expensive...
moeszyslak

Post by moeszyslak »

+1 for a disc trucker or a straggler if your load/touring is light.
JaccoW

Post by JaccoW »

irc wrote:

Have you priced them? £700!!! Getting into custom build territory.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/spe ... t-ec128708

Another vote for the Disc Trucker here. Cheap for a frameset. And the Truckers are great do it all bikes.

Sorry, didn't know they were much more expensive in the UK. You can buy them in mainland Europe for €599... which is £455. That is very similar in price or even cheaper than the Surly Disc Trucker.
And you can put pretty much any gearing on it. Derailleur, Rohloff and even belt drive.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Sorry, didn't know they were much more expensive in the UK. You can buy them in mainland Europe for €599... which is £455. That is very similar in price or even cheaper than the Surly Disc Trucker.

Disc Trucker's RRP is £399
Currently £320 from Triton Cycles: http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/frames-fo ... wgodVI8GTA