Logistics/timing Pacific Coast Route

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bicycleadventurer

Logistics/timing Pacific Coast Route

Post by bicycleadventurer »

Hi guys, I am planning on riding the Pacific Coast from Canada to Mexico (US). Can anyone give me some logistics about this trip,, best routes, things to see along the way, best time for the route, how long will it take? Thanks, Tim

<Mod: sponsors' advertising removed>
tatanab

Re: Logistics/timing Pacific Coast Route

Post by tatanab »

bicycleadventurer wrote:best routes,
I am planning on doing this next year. I will use https://www.adventurecycling.org/routes ... fic-coast/ as a basis. They have an inland route as well https://www.adventurecycling.org/routes ... -cascades/
best time for the route
once tourists have largely gone. I plan on September. This means it might be a bit damp in the north but in southern California the temperatures will have moderated, although it is usually ok along the coast. I have lived in Washington state and in southern California.
how long will it take
How long is a piece of string? It depends how far you want to ride each day and how much time you will spend looking around or doing touristy stuff.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I did Canada to Mexico (Vancouver to San Diego) in September/October 2015. I came inland through the National Parks and glad that I did, met quite a few people who said the coast road was too busy/dangerous

I did 2300 miles in 26 days, but 3 weeks would be doable

Stayed in motels and traveled light

Fantastic trip, can't recommend it highly enough
jacksonz

Post by jacksonz »

I rode from Jasper to Flagstaff, it took about three months (August-October). Best to arrive south after summer.
I used a combination of routes from the American Adventure Cycling Association. There is a lot of fabulous country to be visited... You can take many side trips. I wish I had taken 4 months....
Personally I'd avoid the coastal route for reasons already stated!
raybo

Post by raybo »

A few things:

In Washington, you need to decide on whether or not you want to ride through Olympic National Park. It is heavily forested (think tunnel of trees) and all the good bits are off-route and up hills. The other option is along the Hood Canel where you get views but ride on a narrow highway. Here is a journal of my ride from Bellingham, WA (north of Seattle) down to south of Portland, Oregon. I decided to take the Hood Canal.

In Oregon, there are several tunnels along the coast highway. Bring lights.

Don't miss the Coastal redwoods near the Oregon-California border. Plan to spend a day (or more) hiking among the trees.

Highway 1 north of San Francisco is also used by trucks to deliver goods to coastal towns. Ride with a rear view mirror and pull off the (shoulderless) road when they are coming up on you. Here is my journal of a ride from Ft. Bragg down to Gualala on Highway 1.

Here is a guide to riding from San Feancisco to Los Angeles that I wrote.

It is a great ride. Have fun!
Visit my on-line bike touring archive at www.biketouringtips.com
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I think the coast is worth doing. The scenery is amazing. The coastal roads can carry a fair amount of traffic, though. I would avoid weekends and peak times.

Besides, the redwoods, I think Crater Lake is a worthwhile detour, though it can be snowy up there much of the year. Late summer is a good time to be there, though other times can be okay, as well. Check their website, if you are thinking of going.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
hamster

Post by hamster »

I did Portland to San Francisco 20 years ago in July. It was very pleasant. A couple of sections were busy but not at all bad, especially if you are intelligent about picking the time of day.

I drove the Big Sur road last spring and certainly would not want to do it over a weekend.
petevannuys

Post by petevannuys »

September's a good bet: Pacific Coast Hwy tourist traffic should be down, but still a factor. Adventure Cycling's Pacific Coast Route is of course the most popular, but how much oceanside cycling can one person stand? After countless miles of, albeit majestic, pine forests and rugged Pacific shores, consider an inland meander. It's up to you, of course, but Oregon and Calif. both show their "real" sides once you get over the Pacific Coast ranges-- just a thought-- hundreds of miles of varied ranching, farming, logging. You can always take a day to high-tail it back to the coast if you must.
In central CA you might think about Hwy 25, which runs from Gilroy to San Miquel through the San Andreas earthquake fault. Seriously. Past Pinnacles National Monument. Not desert but ranches in the middle of Nowhere. Good local wine and even a few really good places to eat.
Back out the coast in SoCal cause the beach "scenery" is especially attractive.
And stop by my shop in San Clemente to say Hi. We're right on PCH at North Beach. Where, BTW, you can always put your bike on the train for San Diego if you're feeling burt out on bike touring by then.
Oh, but do visit Tijauana at least. Mexico and the Baja Coast is worth the visit and the whole drug-war thing is pretty much over. Ensenada is cool and the food (and Margaritas) are worth it.