Sri Lanka

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
matt2matt2002

Re: Sri Lanka

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Thanks Simon
Good info on Ethiopia
I am following Timothy Tower on crazy guy.
He is a week or so into his trip.
A northern loop.
No stone throwing yet but early days.
Good points about the roads and economy.

I think Sri Lanka would.be an easier.country to tour than Ethiopia so I must decide on that basis.
It was.tough last year in the Pamirs so may give myself an easy year.
Once again, thanks for your input.
Any more Sri Lanka info on weather would be appreciated

Matt
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Sankhurst

Re: Sri Lanka

Post by Sankhurst »

I have returned a couple of days ago from a one month cycle tour of Sri Lanka. I would thoroughly recommend it as a touring destination, There is plenty of cheap accommodation and food is good and cheap too. The people are incredibly kind and helpful, and many speak some English even in the rural areas. The main roads are excellent, most of the B roads are good quality too, though there are quite a lot of road works, where the roads are rough, and some tarmac can be broken up quite badly. The mountain areas are incredibly beautiful, and the infamous road from Kandy to Nuwara Eliya, climbing up through the tea plantations, is one of the most beautiful rides you can do. At this time of year the weather was really good, in a month we only had half a day of rain. All the accommodation we stayed in had mosquito nets, so that wasn't a problem. We found the other road users were considerate and left us a lot of space, though their style of driving is different to ours and takes a little getting used to. The towns are a bit hectic, but as soon as you are a kilometer out of the town, there is little traffic. I cant comment on the weather in July, but I believe that the North and East have a different wet season, so maybe that is the place to go.