Grand Union and Leicester branch Canals

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Fudger

Post by Fudger »

Hi all, new to the forum.
I am planning on a ride from Reading, Berkshire to Nottingham, via The Slough branch, Grand Union and Leicester branch canals. I know the route 6 follows a lot of the canal but I prefer to stay with the canals if possible. Has anyone ridden these sections and advise me how good the towpaths are? My plan is to do this in May or possibly April weather permitting.
Richard Fairhurst

Re: Grand Union and Leicester branch Canals

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Depends on your bike!

The Leicester Line from Norton Junction (near Watford Gap) to Foxton (near Market Harborough) is famously rural - don't expect a good-quality towpath. From there to Leicester it's generally better though still mostly unsurfaced.

Through Leicester as far as Cossington/Syston is very good.

From Syston towards Nottingham it's a fieldpath with stiles - as is often the case with river navigations - and I'd avoid it on a bike. NCN 48 up the Wreake Valley, then cross-country to Nottingham, is a lovely alternative.

I don't know the GU main line from Uxbridge to Norton Junction as well, but there are certainly some bits that have been improved for cycling (e.g. around Leighton Buzzard/Milton Keynes) and others that are more primitive. As a rough rule of thumb the urban sections will be ok, the rural ones are likely to be bumpier.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Fudger

Post by Fudger »

Thanks for the info Richard, will be useful to avoid any really poor parts as I plan to do the trip over two days. I'm on a hybrid Dawes bike with 700c x 35 tyres which seems to tame most towpaths but anything too rough can be a struggle. Definitely going to need to avoid styles as I will be carrying two bags and a tent on board.
millimole

Post by millimole »

I work as a volunteer on the section between Kilby and Leicester and know it intimately!
It is rideable all the way, but....
Between Kilby and Glen Parva (Blue Banks Lock) it can be tricky riding due to a 'single narrow rut' being the main riding surface, the further north you get in this section in *wet weather* the worse it is - it can be unrideable around Blue Banks Lock. Beyond Aylestone the surface is tarmac, reasonably smooth and not busy until you get to the city centre.
I'd personally suggest using the Great Central Way (Sustrans6) between Glen Parva - Whetstone Lane Lock - and Birstall, just north of Leicester.
There is no towpath to speak of on the river section beyond Cossington.
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
millimole

Post by millimole »

There is a 'motorbike' barrier just to the south of Kings Lock Aylestone. Almost impassable with a heavily laden machine.
You may also find the bridge hole at Kings Lock a bit of a challenge with a heavy bike - a very steep path down from the lock doglegs into the very narrow bridge hole!
(But there is a splendid bike friendly tea room at Kings Lock as compensation)
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Fudger

Post by Fudger »

Thanks Millimole, great info. I'm guessing I will have to find alternative routes at some points but that's the fun part of an adventure. I'm always on the lookout for places to re fuel so cafes and pubs along the way are of paramount importance :D just trying to split the route in two to workout the most suitable area to find a camping ground. Not keen on wild camping as I'm not going to carry any food or cookware. Somewhere after Milton Keynes would do it. Anyone recommend somewhere?
ossie

Post by ossie »

Fudger wrote:Hi all, new to the forum.
I am planning on a ride from Reading, Berkshire to Nottingham, via The Slough branch, Grand Union and Leicester branch canals. I know the route 6 follows a lot of the canal but I prefer to stay with the canals if possible. Has anyone ridden these sections and advise me how good the towpaths are? My plan is to do this in May or possibly April weather permitting.

Ive done Reading to Watford on a longer (European) tour....followed the Canal from Newbury and hit the Grand Union before peeling off towards St Albans.

The Grand Union was probably the worst bit, just need to concentrate. Good in stages but rough and narrow in others .....tree roots are your biggest nightmare, knobbly -ish tyres would be ideal..

Just dont fall in :wink:
Last edited by ossie on 4 Mar 2016, 7:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

Useful post! I'm gradually doing the Grand Union Canal by walking it in stages - doing it from the London end bit by bit every year with a friend down there and from Nottingham with friends or family up here. It's occurred to me that it will take me a very long time especially in the rural sections which will be difficult to reach by public transport so I've been thinking about looking into cycling some parts. I've already cycled the section from Bletchley to Leighton Buzzard and it sounds as if that's the most cyclable bit outside of the cities!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
Fudger

Post by Fudger »

My idea is to get to Nottingham or just the other side where my brother lives. I'm thinking of giving myself 4 days in case the going is wet and difficult. However, if I make it in 2 days then that's extra time to have a few beers in Nottingham before the train back. Just struggling to find camping near to Leicester and Northampton.
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

I tried finding campsites in that area last year - few and far between. I didn't go there in the end, but Brook Meadow might be OK www.brookmeadow.co.uk/CampingCaravannin ... anning.php It sounds expensive but they said they'd charge me £10 rather than the usual £17! (I do email expensive sites to ask how much for a single cycle-camper, and sometimes get a good deal). Good Luck!
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
millimole

Post by millimole »

No promises, but it might be worth contacting Waterloo Farm Leisure who have an entrance directly onto Sustrans Rt 6 near Great Oxenden south of Market Harborough - they are very cycle freindly so may be accommodating
millimole

Post by millimole »

There's also Proctors Leisure Park next to the river at Barrow Upon Soar - you'd almost certainly be able to camp there, but contacting them in advance - I gather - might be a challenge
Fudger

Post by Fudger »

It seems that a lot of camping grounds are without any kind of website or contact details. I'm toying with the idea of B&Bs but prefer the idea of camping. Of course the vital ingredient in a camping location is a pub with food as I won't be carrying food or cooking pots. I'm guessing you're never more than a few miles from a pub along the canal or route 6.
Annoying Twit

Post by Annoying Twit »

Fudger wrote:It seems that a lot of camping grounds are without any kind of website or contact details. I'm toying with the idea of B&Bs but prefer the idea of camping. Of course the vital ingredient in a camping location is a pub with food as I won't be carrying food or cooking pots. I'm guessing you're never more than a few miles from a pub along the canal or route 6.

The Canal and River Trust shows a nice green dotted line beside the Soar all the way up to where the Soar merges with the Trent. However, as Millimole mentions, there are parts of the river with no real towpath. Cossington meadows, North of Leicester does not allow cycling. Though, when we went there we pushed our bikes around inside it, and no-one objected. I don't know how much of the towpath is cycle-able between here and Nottingham. I'd like to find out. But one thing, if you do go to where the Soar meets the Trent, how do you get across the river? There are rail bridges and a bridge for the M1, but where else?

The Canal and River Trust have removed their cycling maps from their website as they think that some of them are inaccurate. They are asking for volunteers to check out some of their old paths. https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/walking- ... and-rivers

I will say that personally I think the route to Nottingham from Sileby through the villages is a nice one. But, no canal towpaths.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

There's no way across the Trent there other than detouring west to Sawley. (Or hitching a ride on a passing boat!) River towpaths are often owned by the riparian landowner rather than CRT, so you don't necessarily have permission to cycle along the Soar as you would on a canal.

CRT don't really have any consistent data about the surface quality on their towpaths, so making a cycling map is difficult. When I was building their online maps for them last year, I did put together a prototype of a cycling version which worked by matching up their waterways against the Sustrans GIS data, and highlighting the places where they coincided. It was ok, but certainly fallible - for example, the Shropshire Union is in the Sustrans GIS as a cyclable "local route", which much of it really isn't unless you enjoy mud.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides