Sleightholme Moor Road

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
andreafj

Sleightholme Moor Road

Post by andreafj »

Has anyone ridden Sleightholme Moor Road from Tan Hill Inn to Bowes recently? Is it suitable for a touring bike with fairly robust wheels and tires?

Thanks in advance :)
Last edited by andreafj on 10 Jan 2016, 11:45pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paulatic

Re: Sleightholme Moor Road

Post by Paulatic »

I was a shepherd on the next door moor but that was 40yrs ago. Last rode it about 25 yrs ago on a mtb. From memory I don't recall it being suitable for a tourer.
I follow this guy on Twitter I'm sure he knows
http://northernbike.com/?attachment_id=1827
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Dean

Post by Dean »

I've ridden it many times, with and without loads, on fixed and with 23mm tyres, I've even taken groups along it. You'll be fine.

These photos are from a couple of years ago, but it hasn't changed much. I last rode it on the summer.

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topi ... msg1518701

It's a great road. The only bit to really watch out for is just after the turn off the Tan Hill road, as there's a fairly steep bit, and half-bricks form a lot of the surface. I saw a few lads really struggling up there on full-on road bikes.

I'd recommend 28 mm tyres as a minimum and take it easy as it's quite a loose surface, but it's one of the finest routes in England. All downhill too.
andreafj

Post by andreafj »

Thanks Dean. That does look just fine even if it will be a bit rough for the top section. I think I will be glad for my Thudbuster seatpost :P I'll keep your tire suggestion in mind. We just have our "go fast" wheels for our tandem so we will build the touring set in the spring.

Andrea

http://ridewithgps.com/events/LEJOG-2016
Last edited by andreafj on 10 Jan 2016, 11:46pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dean

Post by Dean »

Wow, a tandem! I ran the night ride to Tan Hill twice (and may do so again), but I never had a tandem, though there was a bent:

You can just see the steep bit behind Kim, which I recall Kim describing as "a cliff face".

The old railway carriage is no longer there, BTW.

That's a hilly route you've chosen - hope you have a good ride.
andreafj

Post by andreafj »

Thanks Dean! We've got lots of gears, disk brakes and we aren't doing the ride until September so lots of time to get some good riding in.
Chat Noir

Post by Chat Noir »

Happened to be cycling past it today, so stopped and took photo. My companion regularly uses this route to get to the pub at Tan Hill (he lives on the other side of the A66) and he advised me rough but do-able but preferable on MTB when leaving the pub late at night – not sure what he meant by this!

2016-01-11 12.37.30.jpg

Great on the road today, mostly above the thick fog from earlier in the day, even spent some time in the sun, just needed to be a little bit careful with the light covering of snow.

Enjoy the ride.
Dawes Galaxy 1979; Mercian 531 1982; Peugeot 753 1987; Peugeot 531 Pro 1988; Peugeot 653 1990; Bob Jackson 731 OS 1992; Gazelle 731 OS Exception 1996; Dolan Dedacciai 2004; Trek 8000 MTB 2011; Focus Izalco Pro 2012
andreafj

Post by andreafj »

Thanks for the very current update!
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

Ah, what a gorgeous part of the world you'll be in! The Tan Hill Inn reeks of history and is not to be missed. (Perhaps a little less of an adventure under new management since Tracy's departure.) At a minimum you'll want to stop for a bit of the fluid of your choice after the climb up from Stonesdale. Sleightholme Moor is wonderfully open and expansive — magnificent or miserable depending on the weather (but it's England we're discussing …)

Barnard Castle is a delightful northern market town with a nice variety of shops if it's time to lay in supplies or splash out for a good meal. It's the home of the Bowes Museum, which merits a diversion of at least a couple of hours … or days, if 'Barney Castle' captures your hearts the way it did ours.
andreafj

Post by andreafj »

I will check in with the Tan Hill Inn if they will be open when we go by. We are riding Hawes to Haltwhistle that day so it will likely be an early start. Unfortunately, we won't have time to head over to Bernard Castle, but High Force Waterfall is on our list of stops for the day :D
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

andreafj wrote:High Force Waterfall is on our list of stops for the day :D

High Force is breathtaking. If you've been pedalling through several days of torrential rain you'll be rewarded by seeing it in full spate. (This analysis brought to you by the Department of Silver Linings. :wink: )

Even if you haven't much time to stop and stare, Pennine scenery will reward your efforts … if the mist is not too heavy. :?
Dean

Post by Dean »

Tan Hill won't be closed, I can guarantee it. My mate told a story of arriving there early on a Sunday morning, and mixing in with the wedding party which hadn't stopped since the Saturday. Or, possibly, Friday. He also tells the story about when the licensing laws were more restrictive and police had to check that pubs were obeying the cut-off the coppers in Reeth used to call the Tan Hill in advance, "to check that the road was open".

Mistik-ka wrote:Ah, what a gorgeous part of the world you'll be in! The Tan Hill Inn reeks of history and is not to be missed. (Perhaps a little less of an adventure under new management since Tracy's departure.)

I think she still owns it, doesn't she? I almost miss the peremptory shouts to stoke the fire properly, or pour your own [rude word removed] beer, all delivered in a Staines accent.

The new management are definitely trying to sell the brand. They've pushed up the prices, too - it's more in line with the rest of the Dales, to be fair, but far less cheap than it was.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I spent a night there once with one other cyclist. I remember the thick fog made the climb seem endless. The landlady went out for the evening leaving us with an 'honesty' bar which we shared with two lambs. A characterful place.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Ahh Tan Hill..........never been the same since Ted Moult & Everest put in the double glazing!
Sheep show in May used to be a great day out after being stuck at home lambing for weeks. After a day's clipping in another Dale it's funny how you could always make a route home via Tan Hill.
Last stopped there around 15yrs ago, think it was on the Hartside 200, full of tourists and I didn't know a soul.

E2E info
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Amazing what you can find on Ytube
http://youtu.be/MBPWJfq4dDA

E2E info