Hotel in Bilbao at start of Atlantic route

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
DGG1941

Hotel in Bilbao at start of Atlantic route

Post by DGG1941 »

Anyone recommend a bike friendly hotel in or near Bilbao. I'm arriving on the Portsmouth Bilbao ferry (they don't take bikes any more but will accept trikes - albeit at car rates!) just after midday in May, and I'd like to spend a little time in the city, rather than heading off straight away as I usually do. Ideally would like secure accomodation for the trike, an ICE Adventure.

Plan is to then cycle up the coast via Angers, to Ouistreham.
When I see an adult on a bicycle I do not despair for the human race, H G Wells.
RobH

Re: Hotel in Bilbao at start of Atlantic route

Post by RobH »

I used the Hotel Bilbi a couple of years ago. The area it's in is not the smartest, but I felt safe enough coming and going, and it's just a short walk down to the river, and across the river to the old town. Anyway, for your purposes, the thing that the Bilbi has going for it is a lock up garage just across the road, which is where I stored my bike and which would be ideal for a trike. My first choice would be Hotel Bilbao Jardines but, while I was able to park my bike in one of the store rooms downstairs, I'm not sure they could accommodate a trike.

Don't underestimate the time it's going to take you getting from the ferry port to Bilbao. You might consider crossing the river via the
Vizcaya Bridge at Portugalete and then just following the river.

Enjoy yourself! Bilbao is one of my favourite cities.
MartinBrice

Re: Hotel in Bilbao at start of Atlantic route

Post by MartinBrice »

it's 90 minutes on the train from santander, and the ferry from portsmouth to santander does accept bicycles, at bicycle rates, so you might be better off going to santander thence bilbao. i accept the trike on the train is trickier than a two-wheeled machine, but iguess that's still a lot cheaper than paying for a car. and flying is impossible with a trike, obvs.
European Bike Express might be able to help? I've found them to be very good indeed.