Java Sulawesi North Maluku Trip

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Carbonblue

Java Sulawesi North Maluku Trip

Post by Carbonblue »

Hi

looking for anyone with experience of cycling in the above places, planning a trip starting on the 25th Jan in Jakarta. Tickets are booked.

I travelled in Sumatra a long time ago and that was great but that was on foot, I do know it hot. :-)

I also need to buy a bike.

Type of bike needed would be a good start, good places to go, clothing, routes.

Thanks J
beardy

Re: Java Sulawesi North Maluku Trip

Post by beardy »

The monsoon season doesnt end until March. I got out just as it was starting (November) so I dont know how bad it is.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Often posts don't have enough information to make a sensible reply. From your post it appears that you have done little or no planning apart from buying a plane ticket. Hopefully this is not the case.

How long are you going for?
Where do want to buy your bike?
What sort of roads will you be riding?
What distances?
How much luggage, I presume you won't be camping.
Etc, etc,etc?

Re clothing, I suggest you want stuff that covers you. The sun is strong! I wear a long sleeved gents type shirt and often !ong shorts to cover the top of my legs. A cap and once the sun is high, a brimmed hat is useful. You could wear cycling gear and slap on the sunblock, but I prefer to simply cover up. Also be aware of any modesty issues in what is essentially a Moslem country.

You will also need to think how you are going to carry your luggage. Most use panniers because they are best. Youll also need a rack.

The more I write the more I wonder how much of this you must have already thought of, so I will stop and await any reply.

Finally, sorry to be pedantic, Beardy, but its not the Monsoon, just the wet season. The Monsoon is not a period of heavy rain, but an annual weather system of wet and dry affecting countries in Asia north of the equator.
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

well, if its the rainy season youre going to get wet, and dirt roads very hard to pedal through. Have fun !

When did the spelling change from Djakarta ? Or Djibouti for that matter ? Are we all to be dumbed down like the Americans ?