trans am for novice advice needed

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
welsh trekker

Re: trans am for novice advice needed

Post by welsh trekker »

thanks for the advice everyone.
DavidWC

Post by DavidWC »

Hi, we did the transam with adventure cycling last year, the central route, started May finished early August, you will struggle to cross Rockies before June so East-West is best, Yorktown to Florence Oregan.
But Astoria is a better finish but the wind going north from Florence could spoil that bit.
If you want a full set of maps let me know - no charge
Good luck
David
jmenorton89

Post by jmenorton89 »

Wow, that's super generous David, would have snapped them up if I hadn't just ordered my set, ahhh well, good to support the guys who made it. I'm going the transam-western express route, East to west starting late June I reckon. I'll probably have to carry as much suncream as I do water :shock:
Is it worth bringing cooking gear? Im only using rear panniers and a handlebar bag. While I enjoy cooking at home, not sure I'll fancy it on the road.
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

I am doing the trans am next year East to West so may see you out there!
DavidWC

Post by DavidWC »

DavidWC wrote:
Hi, we did the transam with adventure cycling last year, the central route, started May finished early August, you will struggle to cross Rockies before June so East-West is best, Yorktown to Florence Oregan.
But Astoria is a better finish but the wind going north from Florence could spoil that bit.
If you want a full set of maps let me know - no charge
Good luck
David
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

Hi David I have sent you a PM about those maps and a chat about your route!
DavidWC

Post by DavidWC »

how do i get access to a pm?
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

Click on your messages button - where it says view your posts ... top of the page just under the Board Index sign
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

OR click on the User Control icon at left hand top of page then click private messages tab and then look in Inbox! Just click on your messages to read them and then reply if you want to! I hope I got that right ...
boblo

Post by boblo »

Point of order; if you finish in Florence or Astoria, you won't have completed the ACA Bicentennial Trans Am. For the want of approx 40 Miles in the case of Astoria. I'm a bit OCD/purist about this and you'll have ridden over 4000 miles to get to Florence or Astoria. Finish it off properly there's a good chap ;-)