trans am for novice advice needed

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
jmenorton89

Re: trans am for novice advice needed

Post by jmenorton89 »

Hi Guys,

Im planning to do the trans-am starting in June or July, anyone have any advice regarding flights? Id be flighting from Manchester to Richmond VA and then from San Fran back to Manchester, thought I found a good deal with Virgin Atlantic, however it was actually operated by Delta, which have a different bike policy. Trying to do it as cheap as possible and not get stung to much by baggage fees. Any tips?

Thank Jamie :D
boblo

Post by boblo »

I've found BA as cheap as anyone. Beware flights to the US seem to limit both number of items and weight (depending on class flown). Your bike (up to 23KG in economy) can fly foc if that's your only checked item. You'll pay extra per item over this. Or, fit all your kit in a bike box. If you must have extra bags, consolidate them into a cheap holdall to pay for just one extra bag. Throw the holdall away on arrival, buy another on departure.

You get 32kg in business and 2 items IIRC. And Bob's yer uncle in First if you fancy the stretch. It's very nice but I'm unlikely to spend my own money on anything more than business.
irc

Post by irc »

What price did you have? Looking at going 30th June and back 15th Sept Aer Lingus will do a return for £722 as per Skyscanner. Going Manchester to Washington Dulles. I flew with them a few years ago transatlantic and the bike fee was minimal.

Of course at Washington Dulles you are about 150 miles north of Yorktown. Options? Ride the Atlantic Coast route until it meets the Transam? Or price one way car hire?

Both options have been used by other UK based riders looking to get from DC to Yorktown. One thread ....

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/forum/b ... sted=0&v=d
jmenorton89

Post by jmenorton89 »

Hmm just had a look at flights to Washington Dulles, may be be the better option over Richmond VA, just looking at aer Lingus now, seems like a good option coming at about £650 return, BA was over £1000. From what i can see Aer Lingus carry bikes for £50.

Now does anyone know if it is just that one £50 charge for the outward journey and again for the inbound, or will i be charged again for connecting flights? For instance Aer Lingus flys from Manchester to Dublin to Washington, would this be a £50 charge or £100 for the outbound? Sorry if its a daft question, not done much flying.

Id probably just cycle down from Washington, looks pretty flat so should only take a couple of days.
scottg

Post by scottg »

If you are look for more adventure there is Trans America Dirt Road Trail,
not an offical bike route, but unpaved Jeep & off road Moto trail. Has been used
by a few cyclists.

http://www.swallowbicycleworks.com/blog ... the-finale

if you are buying a bike here, remember decent touring kit is rare here, so you may want to bring your own rack & panniers,

There is plenty of never been actually used on a tour kit in the shops
that will give you plenty opportunities to practice you bodging skills.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
irc

Post by irc »

jmenorton89 wrote:For instance Aer Lingus flys from Manchester to Dublin to Washington, would this be a £50 charge or £100 for the outbound? Sorry if its a daft question, not done much flying.

One charge. Load your bike at baggage in Manchester then pick it up in Washington Dc.
jmenorton89

Post by jmenorton89 »

irc wrote:
jmenorton89 wrote:For instance Aer Lingus flys from Manchester to Dublin to Washington, would this be a £50 charge or £100 for the outbound? Sorry if its a daft question, not done much flying.

One charge. Load your bike at baggage in Manchester then pick it up in Washington Dc.

Thanks, that's good to hear.

How much did you budget for day to day stuff, like food and camping. I reckon ill probably be eating out of supermarkets and the odd greasy diner. Hoping to have about £5000 saved although this will need to pay for flights as well, and ideally id like to come home with change. Already have the bike and all that related stuff.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Lots of things are cheaper in the USA, but your budget largely depends on what sorts of things you want to eat. If you are going for cheap stuff, sliced bread with peanut butter, porridge oats, pasta, tinned veg and soup, etc. you can probably get away with $100ish per week. If you want nicer foods, fresh fruits & veg, and some gourmet things, probably twice that much. I'm assuming cycle touring kind of calorie consumption. If you don't eat so much, I would think that you could get 2500 - 3000 calories per day for $75ish per week, but that is an absolute minimum, and not necessarily the best food that America has to offer :P You can live off resaturants for under $50 per day, as long as they aren't extravagant ones.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
irc

Post by irc »

jmenorton89 wrote:How much did you budget for day to day stuff, like food and camping. I reckon ill probably be eating out of supermarkets and the odd greasy diner. Hoping to have about £5000 saved although this will need to pay for flights as well, and ideally id like to come home with change. Already have the bike and all that related stuff.

The first time I was there in 2009 I spent around $31 per day for everything except flights and travel insurance. Allowing for a bit of inflation say £25 per day. For an 80 day trip that's around £2000. That cash was buying a diner breakfast or a Subway most days and having a couple of beers most days. All camping fees. Motels, hostels. But I camped almost all the time, often for free. Bought a set of tyres part way through as well. Bought a new pair of gloves etc.

Diners and Subways are fairly cheap and let you meet the locals. While eating supermarket food would be cheaper I think eating in diners is part of the experience. You can always do it cheaper but allowing £2000-£2500 for everyday expenses should be a reasonable target. With £5000 saved you'll have enough in reserve to not worry about what you spend.

On the subject of cash check what charges your bank has. Most banks have 2 charges for withdrawing cash overseas. This amounts to around 6%. But you can get cheap cards. I've just opened a 2nd bank a/c with a bank which has no fees for overseas cash withdrawals.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel ... rd-charges
welsh trekker

Post by welsh trekker »

thanks everyone for tips and ideas. If I decide to travel without a bike and buy one in perhaps Washington DC , where would you advise to go ? for the best advice and choice ?
Or what other city ?
I am assuming I shall fly into DC from the UK.
welsh trekker

Post by welsh trekker »

bump
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I don't know DC. I think if I were planning to buy a bike on the East Coast, I'd start with Harris Cyclery http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/

Otherwise, if no one else has recommendations, you can check the map of member shops on the ACA site https://www.adventurecycling.org/resour ... ber-shops/
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
irc

Post by irc »

welsh trekker wrote:thanks everyone for tips and ideas. If I decide to travel without a bike and buy one in perhaps Washington DC , where would you advise to go ? for the best advice and choice ?
Or what other city ?
I am assuming I shall fly into DC from the UK.

I'd suggest posting your question on crazyguyonabike. There are a good few cyclists based in the Washington DC area on there. As well as getting advice on where to buy a touring bike in the D.C. area you may get other tips/offers. As a result of being a regular forum user on crazyguyonabike when I posted the fact I was starting a tour from D.C. a local rider offered to pick me up at the airport and dropped me at the hostel in downtown D.C.

It's also the place to post if you have any issues during the tour. Cyclists will go the extra mile to help other tourers and there are a lot of USA based tourers on crazyguyonabike.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Vorpal wrote:I don't know DC. I think if I were planning to buy a bike on the East Coast, I'd start with Harris Cyclery http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/
That's a bit like recommending a bike shop in Leeds for someone landing at LHR.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Pete Jack wrote:
Vorpal wrote:I don't know DC. I think if I were planning to buy a bike on the East Coast, I'd start with Harris Cyclery http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/
That's a bit like recommending a bike shop in Leeds for someone landing at LHR.

Well, it's not quite that bad. The trip from DC to Boston is easier than LHR to Leeds. :lol: But that said, the OP has not yet bought his tickets, and also asked about alternative cities.

Anyway, I wasnæt necessarily suggesting that he go to Boston. I think that even if I knew I was going to DC and wanted to buy a bike there, I would try both of the methods I suggested. I would, however, begin by emailing Harris Cyclery and asking if they have closer suggestions.

Probably irc's suggestion to post on crazyguyonabike is better.