trans am for novice advice needed

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Psamathe

Re: trans am for novice advice needed

Post by Psamathe »

Pete Jack wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
Pete Jack wrote:... If you get a tailwind it can be blissful, if you get a headwind it's not blissful. And there doesn't seem to be any predicting of winds, when I did the NT E-W people in Ohio were telling me I was going the wrong direction for the prevailing winds, in the end I got blown across North Dakota and Montana, The bit in between wasn''t too bad either for winds although there were some magnificent thunderstorms in Indiana.

I have no idea if the winds can be planned but http://windhistory.com/map.html#4.00/42.71/-101.23 gives wind roses for pretty well all of the US. If you zoom in, the station blobs change into wind roses. Don't forget the month filter in the upper right corner to set the period you are interested in. Explanation/instructions http://windhistory.com/about.html.

Ian
I'd lost that link, sorry. But it's a toss up any way with the wind. One things for sure you will get winds in some direction.

On the routes on the ACA web site that I've looked at their "Logistics" section discusses the predominant winds and if there is a better direction to ride the route in.

Ian
boblo

Post by boblo »

For prevailing winds, you're better off going E - > W on the Bicentennial route. If you're unlucky, the winds in Kansas can be hateful, or, you could be doing 150 mile days ;-) It's only a few hundred miles across so soon dealt with if you get a nasty headwind. I managed to get a 50 mph headwind along the Colorado River and rode 30 miles into it on a road that turned out to be closed due to landslip. No way was I turning back and I cheerfully picked my way carefully through the clean up machinery in UK builder hi viz :-)

As for Missouri (Mysery... tssk), it's not so bad just a bit up and down. People make a big thing about scuttling off to the Katy trail. If you can ride in Wales, Cornwall or Brittany, you'll be fine.
irc

Post by irc »

boblo wrote:As for Missouri (Mysery... tssk), it's not so bad just a bit up and down. People make a big thing about scuttling off to the Katy trail. If you can ride in Wales, Cornwall or Brittany, you'll be fine.

I've done it both ways. Road and Katy Trail. The roads aren't bad. But I enjoyed a few days of traffic free riding and the contrast of riding through a green tunnel from the other 4000 odd miles of tarmac. If there was a flat route through Cornwall I'd take it. Missouri road builders have a habit of just going straight up and down hills.

Personal preference. If you like railtrails or not.

A rural Missouri road (not on the Transam)
A rural Missouri road (not on the Transam)

Katy Trail
Katy Trail
welsh trekker

Post by welsh trekker »

thanks Pete Jack - good stuff.

Any advice on type of bike ? Cost to spend ?
I am in the Uk and my plan is to buy the bike on arrival and get to know it on route. Hopefully we will get on !
irc

Post by irc »

welsh trekker wrote:thanks Pete Jack - good stuff.

Any advice on type of bike ? Cost to spend ?
I am in the Uk and my plan is to buy the bike on arrival and get to know it on route. Hopefully we will get on !

It depends. Do you prefer flat bars or drop bars? Disc or rim brakes? How much gear are you carrying? How heavy are you? How much cash will you save buying in the USA? The cost of flying with a bike is minimal if you avoid USA airlines. THere is something to be said for having a bike sorted before you go. SAddle comfort. Overall fit. Getting racks and panniers sorted.

Unless of course you have plenty time and don't mind spending some days in the USA getting the correct size of bike ordered in and set up and tested.
boblo

Post by boblo »

A couple of years ago, we rode with a Swiss couple who bought Walmart bikes and rode Vancouver to San Francisco. They spent a lot of time fixing stuff but the $70 bikes got them there. I wouldn't do that but the OP might choose to...
welsh trekker

Post by welsh trekker »

Not actually planning to save by buying in USA - just ease of travelling by plane. Light luggage and no bike to wrap.

Plan to sell bike at the end of trip.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

One question (you may not have the answer to right now) regarding visas: Depending on your chosen route and given that buying a bike (and getting it set-up) will extend the time in the US as will selling it at the end, are you looking to get a visa. If so I'd be very interested in how easy/difficult that process is. In the days I was looking to walk the PCT (which would need a visa due to time taken) many from UK said that they got quite a "grilling" at their interview, basically asking loads of questions about the walk, etc. to verify that they were genuine in their stated intent.

So if visa is needed (and you don't already have one) then please do post back about how easy the process was, etc.

Ian
dandru

Post by dandru »

I'm riding the Trans Am this year, and will start in May, but for a very big planning tip. Join Netflix and watch the Ken Burns Wild West and Civil War documentaries. It'll give you a better understanding of America, I'm watching the Ken Burns WWII doco at present, that's a winner as well. Someone mentioned the Katy trail, I'm riding that because it borders the Wild West (Missouri River) for most of the ride.
dandru

Post by dandru »

Psamathe wrote: So if visa is needed (and you don't already have one) then please do post back about how easy the process was, etc. Ian

The process is the same regardless of country.

I'm applying for the extended visa in Oz at present, but I reckon, if you get through the application process, then you're in the running for the visa. With the application, they want to know everything about you, I had to hunt around for a lot of the stuff, so it's not an application that can be filled out in a flash.

This guy walked the PCT and got an extended visa
http://bikehikesafari.com/pacific-crest-trail/
boblo

Post by boblo »

Dunno about Ozzies but UK bods can apply for a 90 day visa online (ESTA) . No interviews necessary.

You'd have thought there'd be freedom of movement between all the old colonies :D
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

boblo wrote:Dunno about Ozzies but UK bods can apply for a 90 day visa online (ESTA) . No interviews necessary.

You'd have thought there'd be freedom of movement between all the old colonies :D

My thought was that with some of the ACA routes "around 3 months" and then add a bit of time to purchase and set-up a bike and a bit more time to sell it on completion and you've already broken your 90 day visa.

Ian
dandru

Post by dandru »

boblo wrote:Dunno about Ozzies but UK bods can apply for a 90 day visa online (ESTA) . No interviews necessary.

The process is the same, regardless of Oz or Uk, we get 90 days as well, but I reckon 120 days would be a better deal.

If you want to ride the Trans Am, it'll be a 90 day ride to enjoy it and thats still working pretty hard. Then you've got to get to the Start and Finish which might take a few days.
irc

Post by irc »

Psamathe wrote:My thought was that with some of the ACA routes "around 3 months" and then add a bit of time to purchase and set-up a bike and a bit more time to sell it on completion and you've already broken your 90 day visa.

I think the 90 days is plenty. It depends on your daily miles of course but bear in mind if you are not tour fit when you start you will be after a couple of weeks! Schedule a rest day or two early on if you are working into it. I do very little over 25 miles at a time in the UK. I still did a 4500 mile USA coast to coast in 80 days. Only 56 miles per day. And that's 300 miles more than the transam route. 56 miles is only 4 or 5 hours cycling if it isn't too hilly. I tended to ride longer days and have a rest day every week or two.

Just to be pedantic it isn't a 90 day visa it's the visa waiver scheme. Currently $14 per person and valid for 2 years. https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

The advantage of the visa waiver is that you don't need to make an appointment at the US Embassy in London and spend a day there getting your interview done for a 6 month visa. For that experience there is an account at

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/pag ... 46802&v=4x

If you think 90 days is borderline it's another reason for taking a bike with you. Get it set up to suit you then you are good to go as son as you land. Costs about £30 each way with BA taking a bike as a second hold luggage item on an economy ticket. IMO that's less hassle than getting to London and speding a day at the US Embassy.
welsh trekker

Post by welsh trekker »

good advice Irc... appreciated.

Could be March /April start, Trans Am / Centennial, with Katy thrown in.....and take my own bike...... ?

to be considered further......... :shock: