touring on a trad touring bike?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
reohn2

Re: touring on a trad touring bike?

Post by reohn2 »

kylecycler wrote:I'll take back everything I meant about the aesthetics of 26-inch wheels - notwithstanding the practicalities, if someone doesn't like this, visually at least, there's something wrong with them, IMHO - I've never seen a bicycle that looks so 'right'...

ff-496-studio-1_24600611286_o (Large).jpg

http://theradavist.com/2016/01/firefly-for-jan-heine/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/fireflybi ... 3986789435

IMHO,from a practical POV,the rear caliper would be better in the rear triangle,though I suspect it's been fitted where it has due to the short c/stays,which rules out a rear rack,which limits it's carrying capacity,which rules it out as a serious load lugger.
The tyres(2.3inch) are huge :shock: and theoretically would cope with some seriously bad roads,but they're uber lightweights,so I ask myself,if I ride some seriously rough tracks on 700x40s(actual 37x37mm)tyres and consider them comfortable,and quick on tarmac.Would I need 2.3inch rubber? .
There is the possibility of fitting 2.1inch knobbles(?) which would handle anything.
The riding position looks a bit extreme to my eye but everyone is different.
That said,I think I'd refer a longer head tube for a more upright position with a longer steerer for some adjustment either way.
I don't like the idea of only having front panniers as it limits luggage capacity and of course offers no option of carrying luggage on the back where I prefer it for (lighter)touring.
As a tourer it's overgeared.
Where's the mudguards(fenders)?

From a purely aesthetic POV,though I like big rubber,there's a limit :shock: and I don't like amber/skinwalls,much prefer all black tyres,though don't mind reflective sidewall strips.
I like a more compact frame so would prefer a shorter seatube,steeper angled TT.
I don't like the black forks,or the gold headset,they're just plain wrong aesthetically to my eye.
The chainset hasn't got a lot going for it either.
With the rack off it looks more like a gravel race bike than a tourer and is geared as such too.

My personal 2d's worth YVMV.
Last edited by reohn2 on 29 Jan 2016, 5:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
hamster

Post by hamster »

It's an American tourer - suited to long dry summers. Most of their roads are graded: I never needed a gear ratio lower than 28/30 in 800 miles of camping touring there. For the UK's short, vicious climbs and wet roads it wouldn't be nearly so much fun.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

bretonbikes wrote:I think it very much depends on personal taste of course, but taste is also something we develop (I didn't use to like olives or red wine;-).

At the risk of you tempting me into an off topic digression breton, i can understand the olive thing (now i love them) but the red wine! Were you some sort of freak/prisoner of french rather than italian wine culture :)
Sweep
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

Sweep wrote:
bretonbikes wrote:I think it very much depends on personal taste of course, but taste is also something we develop (I didn't use to like olives or red wine;-).

At the risk of you tempting me into an off topic digression breton, i can understand the olive thing (now i love them) but the red wine! Were you some sort of freak/prisoner of french rather than italian wine culture :)

I was converted to both in one rather crazy evening in Paris, but that's a long story;-)
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Well this story we must be told breton, even if in another thread.

And long or short.

And gotta ask, were any other tastes/flavours involved other than olives and red wine :)

Please excuse possibly scurrilous post on the grounds that this post comes from a london pub under the influence of a fine wimbledon beer :)
Last edited by Sweep on 29 Jan 2016, 7:09pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

kylecycler wrote:
Bicycler wrote:Oh well, you've just confirmed what I've always known; there's something wrong with me! :lol:

Each to his own.

Yeah, well, it's a personal thing - I suppose it depends how you define 'right' and 'wrong'! Each to his own, right enough. :)

Yes, and coloured rimwalls are just so necessary on a touring bike.

Have you taken into account the fact that rimwall fashions may vary in the countries you are pedalling through? Or is this the next big thing - rims connected to the web and satellites and social media so that the tyres/rims/tyre walls can change colour as you progress?
Sweep
scottg

Post by scottg »

hamster wrote:It's an American tourer - suited to long dry summers. Most of their roads are graded: I never needed a gear ratio lower than 28/30 in 800 miles of camping touring there. For the UK's short, vicious climbs and wet roads it wouldn't be nearly so much fun.

More info on the style bike shown. Gearing is fine is you ride PBP in under 60 hours.

https://janheine.wordpress.com/2015/04/ ... road-bike/
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

Sweep wrote:Well this story we must be told breton, even if in another thread.

And long or short.

And gotta ask, were any other tastes/flavours involved other than olives and red wine :)

Please excuse possibly scurrilous post on the grounds that this post comes from a london pub under the influence of a fine wimbledon beer :)

I'm afraid it isn't at all scurrilous... First trip abroad in 1985 - birthday present from my (new) wife. Met her friend. Went to student quarter to a disreputable student restaurant. Sat next to the kitchen. Waiter dropped every half-drunk bottle of wine on our table as he cleared the tables. My wife managed to get myself, and her friend home via the metro. Don't really remember that bit, but she says it was 'interesting'...
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

As far as I'm aware from occasional glances at his blogs, Jan Heine isn't so much into touring as what you might call adventure riding and audax-style stuff, so I'm not sure it's quite appropriate to judge this bike as a tourer.
FarOeuf

Post by FarOeuf »

Bmblbzzz wrote:As far as I'm aware from occasional glances at his blogs, Jan Heine isn't so much into touring as what you might call adventure riding and audax-style stuff, so I'm not sure it's quite appropriate to judge this bike as a tourer.

His thing is related to the original randonneuring in France, back in the 1930s onwards. Frame design, tyre sizing, luggage fixings, etc. His opinion is that the French (back then) got it right, and those style of bikes are perfect for long rides on road and on piste (fire track). One of the 'ideals' of that period was leave work on a Friday, ride 40 hours and straight back into work on the Monday.

You're right in that he's not so much into touring, and that's not a touring bike. But it is a bike perfectly suitable for ultra light long distance European (or anywhere) riding.

cheers,
pwa

Post by pwa »

FarOeuf wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:As far as I'm aware from occasional glances at his blogs, Jan Heine isn't so much into touring as what you might call adventure riding and audax-style stuff, so I'm not sure it's quite appropriate to judge this bike as a tourer.

His thing is related to the original randonneuring in France, back in the 1930s onwards. Frame design, tyre sizing, luggage fixings, etc. His opinion is that the French (back then) got it right, and those style of bikes are perfect for long rides on road and on piste (fire track). One of the 'ideals' of that period was leave work on a Friday, ride 40 hours and straight back into work on the Monday.

You're right in that he's not so much into touring, and that's not a touring bike. But it is a bike perfectly suitable for ultra light long distance European (or anywhere) riding.

cheers,

I'm sure you are right to say that there is an application for which that bike is the right tool. But a traditional tourer with fittings for a rear rack is a very versatile thing, which this bike isn't. If you are like my next door neighbour, with seven expensive bikes in his garage, this bike may be for you. If you are more like me, with two bikes that have to meet all my needs, that bike is too niche. I like the metalwork of the frame, though.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

FarOeuf wrote:...........that's not a touring bike. But it is a bike perfectly suitable for ultra light long distance European (or anywhere) riding.

cheers,

I'd agree,and would be suited to gravelly roads fire roads and bridleways due to the big clearances and big rubber.
With a spare pair of wheels fitted with say a pair of Conti Speed Kings would go anyway,though the riding position would need to be less extreme to be a real capable off-road machine,though that's a personal preference.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
FarOeuf

Post by FarOeuf »

pwa wrote:I'm sure you are right to say that there is an application for which that bike is the right tool. But a traditional tourer with fittings for a rear rack is a very versatile thing, which this bike isn't. If you are like my next door neighbour, with seven expensive bikes in his garage, this bike may be for you. If you are more like me, with two bikes that have to meet all my needs, that bike is too niche. I like the metalwork of the frame, though.

I didn't say a touring bike couldn't also do the same rides. I also wasn't suggesting this bike was for you, just highlighting what Jan Heine's position is. Randonneuring is/was long distance endurance riding, partly to see the countryside and partly to get good physical exercise. If a person wanted a a fun, lightweight bike capable of quick riding over most terrains, and equipped with dynamo and lights, then I think that bike is fine. I wouldn't leave such a bike locked up outside in a town centre if I went shopping though. So I can see why people might want two bikes.

I have a Surly Trucker, which I off-road, long-tour, go shopping, commute, and endurance race. One (touring) bike, does everything. So I have one less bike than you... :-)
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

bretonbikes wrote:
Sweep wrote:. Sat next to the kitchen. Waiter dropped every half-drunk bottle of wine on our table as he cleared the tables. ..

My sort of restaurant. It's name and location are i assume a closely guarded secret.
Sweep
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

reohn2 wrote:
pwa wrote:I use bar end shifters. If you tap them with your knees, did you cut a bit off the end of the bars to allow for the extra length of the levers? If not, do that. Most drop bars have an overly long bottom section with a few cm that your hands never use. Carefully saw it off to make the gear lever occupy the area where the end of the bar used to be. It works for me.

We're back to preference.
There may be a section of unused drop/hook of h/bar for you,but others may use it all.
I use every bit of drop part of my compacts,(forgetting the RVM FTM)I could cut some off to compensate for the b/end boss,but it'd be no more than 25mm,the pointy bits of the levers are a hazard where knees are concerned YVMV:-

Thread drift sorry. What bar tape is that reohn2? No 1 liners ok? [emoji6]