Loire a velo. Logistics.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
juice

Loire a velo. Logistics.

Post by juice »

I'm thinking of cycling the Loire next summer. The route seems very straightforward, but I'm not sure how to get back to the start. We will be cycling east to west, maybe starting at Nevers. My preference would be to leave a car at the start and return by train, or maybe park up in the middle and a train both ends.
Is it practical? Other options?
Thanks
robgul

Re: Loire a velo. Logistics.

Post by robgul »

Train along the Loire would probably work - have a look at Capitaine Train website for the best routes, fares and whether trains take bikes (most non-TGVs are not a problem)

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
groberts

Post by groberts »

Or as we did in 2014 ride to the Loire from the ferry and along the river, either way, and take the train back to a ferry - not necessarily where you started = problem solved + no car needed:

https://roundthebendpart1.wordpress.com ... mber-2014/
dodger

Post by dodger »

Have you looked at www.cycling-loire.com?
Lots of info there and a cycle-friendly rail service between Nantes and Orleans.
Have been talking of it with Mrs Dodger, so maybe see you en-route. We plan to drive to one end and train back. Mrs D prefers going down river, so we might start at Orleans.
If the railway network was more cycle-friendly, we thought of taking the train there and back to avoid the bother of driving. Perhaps Eurotunnel/TGV there, then back via Morlaix and Roscoff. - A bit of a fiddle, changing trains several times but an interesting journey.
juice

Post by juice »

Thanks folks.
I've done the Nantes to St Malo before, so will plan on driving to Nevers park up and come back by train.
Colgrenfell

Post by Colgrenfell »

If you're camping in Nantes - then Camping Belle Rivière is a really cycle friendly campsite - 15 minute cycle from the city centre. Super friendly -we stayed there twice going out and coming back
mall

Post by mall »

Four of us are planning to cycle the Loire Valley this August, starting in Nevers and going downstream as far as Angers. The immediate challenge seems to be how to get to the start point. Any suggestions would be welcome. We are wondering how we could link to the European Bike Express. I have looked at http://www.cycling-loire.com but most of the resources seem to relate to sections further downstream.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

Have you tried here?

http://en.francevelotourisme.com/base-1 ... eurovelo-6?

or here?

http://en.eurovelo6-france.com

There's a reasonable choice of trains from Paris. A good way to find bike-friendly trains is to use bahn.co.uk - click on 'further search options' and then check the box at the bottom that shows you trains that have bike-carriage facilities. This won't show you TGV trains but it's the easiest option. I've uploaded an extract of the timetable printout.Paris Bercy is pretty easy to get to from the Gare du Nord.

Screen Shot 2016-02-08 at 12.25.57.png
TonyLeroy

Post by TonyLeroy »

Our group cycled Orleans to St Brevin last year. We drove over, left car in a train station car park, and got the train back from St. Nazaire on the last day.

You just have to watch which trains let bikes on at St. Nazaire, we tried to board one that appeared to allow trains and were told to wait for another later in day with dedicated bike carriage.

The ride was fantastic btw.. would recommend it.
mall

Post by mall »

Thanks Andy and Tony. The websites look very useful.

Malcolm
mall

Post by mall »

And having thought about it a little more it had occured to me that Eurostar to Paris and then train from Paris to Nevers might be a better option than EBE.
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

we did eurostar to paris then train to orleans to start the trip. then to get back from the end took the TGV at 6am from nantes to lille for a ridiculously small price. then euorstar to UK. But bikes are extra money and hassle on eurostar now.
andymiller

Post by andymiller »

MartinBrice wrote:we did eurostar to paris then train to orleans to start the trip. then to get back from the end took the TGV at 6am from nantes to lille for a ridiculously small price. then euorstar to UK. But bikes are extra money and hassle on eurostar now.

You always have had to pay extra - and £30 is steep, but the amount of hassle is pretty minimal. For many people it will be the quickest and easiest option - although the ferries from Portsmouth and Plymouth may also be a good option.
forestboy60

Post by forestboy60 »

Last June I cycled from Nevers to Nantes, then across to Roscoff. I live in Cornwall, so it was train to Plymouth, ferry to Roscoff, then train from Morlaix to Paris, and train to Nevers. I bought a copy of the Loire a Velo guide book, which gave me all my campsites, plus B+B's and hotels if needed. I just turned up at the campsites and had no problem at all.
The only problem was on the Paris to Nevers train, having to hang the bicycle up by the front wheel. Meant having to take off the panniers then put back on later.
Take at least one day off to explore the chateau. I stayed 2 nights in Bracieux to allow time to explore Chateau Chambord.
Have a great trip.
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

andymiller wrote:You always have had to pay extra
No - back in the day we partly dismantled the bikes and wrapped them up and took them as hand luggage, and spent an hour reassembling them at the other end. Carrying a dismantled bike on the Paris Metro in the rush hour was something I vowed never to do again. Paying £30 for the bike to go seemed a reasonable price at that point in time!