Cinelli hobootleg with columbus rustproof steel

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
molzor

Cinelli hobootleg with columbus rustproof steel

Post by molzor »

has anyone got one of these http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cin ... e-ec057665

I am interested in this "rust proof steel", has it been treated somehow? i know rust isnt really a huge problem anyway (steel bikes last forever) but why arent all steel bikes using this?
greyingbeard

Re: Cinelli hobootleg with columbus rustproof steel

Post by greyingbeard »

dunno
doesnt say stainless, so presumably rust-resistant as opposed to cannot-rust
looks a good bike, shop around if you want one.
Des49

Post by Des49 »

If this was posted in the Tech section I am sure it would get more attention from some of the material experts. I have been out of the sector too long really, but the steel could just be more resistant to rust than some other grades by having a greater content of certain alloying elements, like nickel. But not enough to be classed as stainless steel.

Unfortunately steel frames do not last forever if not looked after. I caught a couple of ours just in time before corrosion had gone too far.

But, whatever the Cinelli uses to be more rust proof can't be a bad thing. I would still spray protectant inside the tubes too, as damp can lead to internal corrosion more than from the outside.

Looks a nice bike and sensibly specced for the price. I was amused by one of the reviews on your Evans link, they had taken off the racks, mudguards and may change the 35mm tyres for something slimmer. Seems they have missed the point of the bike as a good tourer.
Neil C

Post by Neil C »

Cinelli website says "Frame and fork are made by triple butted Columbus Cromor steel with a special protective electro deposition paint treatment inside and outside the tubes for a total protection against corrosion and extreme reliability."

http://www.cinelli.it/site/index.php?pa ... t&Itemid=9
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

I have one if these and it is a fantastic tourer, fast too.

Unfortunately I have no idea about the rustproofing apart from what I read on tye cinelli website.

I paid a grand for the 2015 model and the 2016 model is identical apart from a different looking front shifter and is 200 pounds cheaper!
molzor

Post by molzor »

it looks like a great bike, I have to say! it ticks a lot of boxes

I saw it on this video...its a good watch, but warning, you will be sold dreams of freedom and escape

https://vimeo.com/76049367
Des49

Post by Des49 »

That is a fantastic video and a great advert for the bike. Reminds me of my time in that part of the world, a long time ago.

Obviously these guys are awesome bike handlers, way better than I could ever be, but their urban riding really did make me cringe. Also a lack of respect for the landscape to see them skidding though the trees in Deadvlei.

Another point - at 05:31 cooling towers do not mean nuclear!! As far as I know the only nuclear power station in S. Africa is Koeberg in the Cape region.
m-gineering

Post by m-gineering »

molzor wrote:has anyone got one of these http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cin ... e-ec057665

I am interested in this "rust proof steel", has it been treated somehow? i know rust isnt really a huge problem anyway (steel bikes last forever) but why arent all steel bikes using this?

It is made from entry level columbus cromor tubing (ie equivalent to Reynolds 525), but the wording is carefully choosen to suggest it might be the stainless XCR.
The 'rust proof' probably means it wasn't painted in Italy
Marten

Touring advice for NL: www.m-gineering.nl/touringg.htm
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

molzor wrote:it looks like a great bike, I have to say! it ticks a lot of boxes

I saw it on this video...its a good watch, but warning, you will be sold dreams of freedom and escape

https://vimeo.com/76049367

At 4:00 those guys are going wrong way on a busy road?
That is very stupid in itself, and very wrong to be shown in public. I don't think anyone can be "cool" enough to be condoned for such lack of respect to the other road users.
A video like this does NOT put cyclists and tourers in a good light :-(
It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best,
since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them.
Thus you remember them as they actually are...
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Neil C wrote:Cinelli website says "Frame and fork are made by triple butted Columbus Cromor steel with a special protective electro deposition paint treatment inside and outside the tubes for a total protection against corrosion and extreme reliability."

I'll take it is Cataphoresis. Used in cars, not much on bicycles but it seems to work well so my take is that isn't used to cut costs. I.e. Scapin steel bikes had that treatment and it worked.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

saw one on the Cinelli stand at Spin today.
Thought it looked really nice.
Well specced.
Sensible price.
Apparently dealers will semi customise it if you want - flat bars, or Sputnik rims.

It has a square taper BB {FFE - family-friendly edit }!

Who would have thought modern Italians capable of producing such a thing (not a country noted for cycle tourists - all due respect to our member on here).

I gather an American was involved.

All due respect to Cinelli.

I wish them well.

(PS - there were some beautiful classic steel frames on the stand as well - £2,000 or so)
Sweep
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

Des49 wrote:I was amused by one of the reviews on your Evans link, they had taken off the racks, mudguards and may change the 35mm tyres for something slimmer. Seems they have missed the point of the bike as a good tourer.

If they spend 48 or 50 weeks a year not touring, and go on half day club rides with faster riders the rest of the time, it can seem a reasonable thing to do.
Just put the bits back on when you do go on tour.
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

Gattonero wrote:
Neil C wrote:Cinelli website says "Frame and fork are made by triple butted Columbus Cromor steel with a special protective electro deposition paint treatment inside and outside the tubes for a total protection against corrosion and extreme reliability."

I'll take it is Cataphoresis. Used in cars, not much on bicycles but it seems to work well so my take is that isn't used to cut costs. I.e. Scapin steel bikes had that treatment and it worked.

I agree it's an excellent method of rustproofing and Cinelli are to be commended but, however, not a new thing on cycles; Raleigh were the first large scale manufacturer to use this method in the 1980's
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.
Gattonero

Post by Gattonero »

Sweep wrote:...
It has a square taper BB {FFE - family-friendly edit }!

Who would have thought modern Italians capable of producing such a thing (not a country noted for cycle tourists - all due respect to our member on here).

No offence taken, it is true.
"Commuting" is fairly unknown in Italy, and "touring" as well is still seen as "grandpa's bike and a tweed cardigan with leather patches on the elbows, don't forget your courduroys" :lol:
Never agreed with that, and is not because sometimes I wear a cardigan or corduroys (for real, though no elbow patches) :lol:

Sweep wrote:(PS - there were some beautiful classic steel frames on the stand as well - £2,000 or so)

perhaps one of those 8)
https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2816/9533032700_23919234ba_b.jpg
markjohnobrien

Post by markjohnobrien »

markjohnobrien wrote:
Gattonero wrote:

I agree it's an excellent method of rustproofing and Cinelli are to be commended but, however, not a new thing on cycles; Raleigh were the first large scale manufacturer to use this method in the 1980's

Forgot to say: it's a really, really, nice frame with nice kit - did think about buying one in the past when on sale...
Raleigh Randonneur 708 (Magura hydraulic brakes); Blue Raleigh Randonneur 708 dynamo; Pearson Compass 631 tourer; Dawes One Down 631 dynamo winter bike;Raleigh Travelogue 708 tourer dynamo; Kona Sutra; Trek 920 disc Sram Force.