Sardinia

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Therealsouthstander

Sardinia

Post by Therealsouthstander »

Right, that's the flight booked to Olbia for a 8 day cycle/camping tour at at end ofJune..

Can anyone please advise on any must see towns/villages/roads and is there any area we should avoid..

Our flight home is also from Olbia but I understand the train or bus can take us back if need be...

Thanks in advance
borisface

Re: Sardinia

Post by borisface »

I'm off there in early April, I did put a post up in August/September regarding Sardinia it might be worth trawling back...
honesty

Post by honesty »

Skip costa samarelda, its tacky, expensive, and fake. Head to la maddalena if you go north, isola di caprera is lovely. Alghero and castelsardo are very lovely as well. I never went into the centre but supramonte looks amazing.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Interesting location.
Who are you flying with and costs, please.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Therealsouthstander

We are flying Lufhhansa again, really good airline to transport your own bike..

Being from Aberdeen we are fairly restricted, it's either make our way down to Stanstead and use a budget airline or fly via Heathrow, Amsterdam or Frankfurt using one of the mainline airlines..

We are paying £275 return.. Which is excellent for Sardinia as I've seen it well over £500
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

The mountains are very mountainous, you can easily have a very hard tour in the eastern part of the island, south of Olbia. The trouble is that the rather rounded hills tend to be cut by very deep steep valleys which you have to cross. 8 days doesn't take you very far in Sardinia.

Unfortunately maps are bad and even Google maps is poor - sometimes you have to really zoom in very close before quite important minor roads appear. For example our favourite road doesn't appear until you really zoom very close in, it runs approx. NE of Seui passing by Nuraghe Ardesai and to the W side of Monte Perda e Liana (you can detour a short way up a side turn to get to a car park from where it is a short walk up that odd-looking peak) and comes out at Lago Bau Muggeris. Yet it is an important road as it makes a huge shortcut across a large tract of very wild land.

Not far south of Olbia is a high ridge of limestone, running SW of Siniscola. There's a very attractive road on the W side of it called the SP3. Goes through Lula and Onani to Bitti which are all nice hill villages. Follows a valley, so not too hilly, though does go over a pass in the end. The SP50 through Lodé is also very nice, but hillier, climbs to over 1000m. We stayed in a B&B just off that road, in one of the very highest areas of settlement on the island.

Once small hill town we particularly liked is Orgosolo - has very interesting modern murals - which is just the other side of Nuoro from Olbia, but up a big hill from there - Nuoro lies in a valley that has to be crossed so there's no avoiding it. From Orgosolo the (eventually) dead end SP48 is really nice - really worth going a few km up the dead end section - that section is pretty flat - for lovely scenery - though if you like tough tracks it isn't a dead end though you probably need to use Google Earth to work out where you could get to.

You should of course visit at least one major nuraghe. The best one is at Barumini which is probably too far for you to get to in a circular week's tour from Olbia. But there are important ones near Olbia and Alghero etc. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuraghe
borisface

Post by borisface »

Easyjet Gatwick to Olbia £160 incl bike
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sardinia-Reise- ... dinia+maps

The best map i know of sardinia.

You may think it not as detailed/high a scale as it could be, but as intimated above, italian maps of sardinia are very poor. All maps, including this, appear to be limited to pretty much the same data.

There are loads of roads not shown on maps.

But this will be fine for your shortish trip. It's plasticised, so very tough. Nice clear design. Marks scenic roads and using a red code shows churches nuraghe etc which it reckons are particularly nice. Though placement on the map can be slightly approximate. As the italians seemed to have an extreme cold war psychosis about giving info away. But then sardinia, strange as it might seem, was in the front line of the cold war battle.

Have a good trip.

Pity you haven't got two weeks - 8 days is a bit tight.
Last edited by Sweep on 8 Dec 2015, 11:09pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Tempio Pausania is very nice.

Even if in some ways it doesn't seem very sardinian - that's those pesky continentals/northern italians for you.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Ploaghe - not terribly well known.

Very small central core with, to my mind, some rather creepy looking spanish architecture - someone should do a horror flic there with creepy priests.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basilica_di_Saccargia

Very impressive though study the map carefully to approach it. The main road it has ended up alongside is rather deadly. Though there is a smaller road "round the back".
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... ddG0Wfcwpw

May be handy.

It's a pdf download of a good printed guide which can be a bit hard to get hold of these days.

The sards have been doing a lot in the last few years to get folks away from just frying on the beaches.
Sweep
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Therealsouthstander wrote:We are flying Lufhhansa again, really good airline to transport your own bike..

Being from Aberdeen we are fairly restricted, it's either make our way down to Stanstead and use a budget airline or fly via Heathrow, Amsterdam or Frankfurt using one of the mainline airlines..

We are paying £275 return.. Which is excellent for Sardinia as I've seen it well over £500

Snap.
Inverurie myself.
Does the £275 take you from Aberdeen or London?

I'm looking for a month trip in June/ July
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
Therealsouthstander

Many thanks for all the very helpful tips, no doubt I'll be back nearer the time when I'm fine tuning our route..

Matt - I'm a Newmachar loon myself But you'll often find my oot by Chapel of Garioch on a fine day...

Yeah the £275 is Aberdeen to Olbia via Frankfurt. I've used Lufhhansa for our last 3 trips and they are execlent transporting your bike..

On the way out we always make sure we have a long layover in Frankfurt so our bike makes the connecting flight, it is also a good excuse to go into Frankfurt for a few Weisse beers :D

We fly oot on June 25th so we may bump into you, there will only be the 2 of us..