Cycling in Northern Cyprus

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
John Holiday

Cycling in Northern Cyprus

Post by John Holiday »

Shall be in Northern Cyprus in January & propose to take the Brompton to use in conjunction with local buses.
Anyone had any experience of Kyrenia area or further afield?
Richard Fairhurst

Re: Cycling in Northern Cyprus

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

I was hoping someone with more experience would answer this, but failing that I can give some hints from a few bits of cycling on holiday several years back...

Kyrenia and the coast road nearby are pretty clogged with traffic. I didn't greatly enjoy cycling there. Further east the roads are much quieter and more pleasant. A Brompton/bus combination sounds like a sensible way of getting away from the traffic quickly.

There is however a great ride along the ridge southwest of Kyrenia, heading west until it ends, when you descend back to the coast. See if you can get a bus/taxi ride up to the top of the ridge (not just to avoid the climb, but also the traffic on the 'motorway').

Paper maps are hard to come by, and the one we eventually found wasn't up to much - take a phone with an offline map loaded on.

Watch out for the ever-present military - there are loads of signs around forbidding you from taking photos etc.

And enjoy - it's a friendly and relaxing place.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
jgurney

Post by jgurney »

Many travel insurers will not cover visits there because of the recognition issue. Double-check that you have effective insurance.
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

Thanks for the comments.
Have been reading some of the books, & have checked on Travel Isurance, & Northern Cyprus/Turkey is deemed Europe.
Hope to stay in Istanbul on way home for two nights, so that should be interesting on the Brompton!
John Holiday

Post by John Holiday »

Just back from three weeks in Northern Cyprus( & Istanbul) with Brompton.
Not many cycles about, but Brompton created lots of interest,particularly amongst youngsters who were keen to try it.
Roads no worse than UK,& only a couple of impatient drivers who thought that a bike shouldn't be on their road!
Easy to carry Brompton only local mini-buses.
Having the bike meant was able to see so much more,particularly in Istanbul,where I broke the journey for a few days on way home.
Whilst very congested,much of the old town traffic was so slow, it was easier getting about on the bike!
Stopped to talk to a local cyclist,who organised 'Critical Mass' rides,but said they had very few participants.
Istanbul well worth a visit with spectacular old buildings etc.
Whilst cycling across bridge from Asia into Europe(novel thought!), noticed car alongside filming me. He waved & then waved a cycle helmet,so was not sure whether he was indicating that he was a fellow cyclist or that I should have worn a helmet!