Porridge - what is the difference?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bigjim

Re: Porridge - what is the difference?

Post by bigjim »

[quote="iandriver"]Am I the only one who has porridge followed by a full English :( :wink: :? :shock:[/quote
Had that every morning in Ireland in May this year. I did not have to cook it though. Oh. Plus toast. :)
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

bigjim wrote:
iandriver wrote:Am I the only one who has porridge followed by a full English :( :wink: :? :shock:[/quote
Had that every morning in Ireland in May this year. I did not have to cook it though. Oh. Plus toast. :)

Too right. What's the matter with these people in the OR camp :wink: I'm an AND man and proud :D
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

iandriver wrote:Am I the only one who has porridge followed by a full English :( :wink: :? :shock:
If I liked porridge, I would HAVE to eat a full English afterwards.

Anyone listen to You+Yours on R4 this afternoon?

Quite interesting discussion about diet and how different people NEED different diets and how some folk metabolise carbs differently to others. It's all in the bugs in the gut. We all have different bugs.

Some folk can eat neat sugar and it doesn't alter their blood-sugar, and others can't eat bread without altering their blood-sugar. It seems that it's not a case of one diet suits all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06s2rtp
Forget the latest weight-loss fad - science may already have worked out what diet is best for you. Experts say a personalised approach could transform the way people lose weight.
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I feel we have reached the point where we are beginning to wade through porridge… :lol:

Did they have porridge for breakfast at Downton Abbey?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
nez

Post by nez »

It's gruel-ing
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Mick F wrote:
bigjim wrote:What do the Pros have for breakfast before those long rides?
I bet it's not porridge! :lol:

Think you'll find it is! I've tried it before some of this years 'long days' and it certainly works for me. There have been quite a number of experts promoting porridge as pre exercise food from BC through to the assorted rags i am known to peruse.

Doesn't mean i eat it every day of course. :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

I don't know if Spike Milligan ate porridge every day but he wrote a poem about it...

Why is there no monument
To porridge in this land?
If it's good enough to eat,
It's good enough to stand!

On a plinth in London,
A statue we should see
Of porridge made in Scotland
Signed, "Oatmeal, O.B.E."

:D
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

simonhill wrote:
Re food miles, why go all the way to Scotland for your oats, I get mine from Aldis its only 2 miles away!

Aren't Aldi oats somewhere towards the end of the dust/sawdust scale?

NB - not a snobby anti aldi comment - a lot of my shopping comes from aldi, and via the bike.
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

foxyrider wrote:
Think you'll find it is! I've tried it before some of this years 'long days' and it certainly works for me. There have been quite a number of experts promoting porridge as pre exercise food from BC through to the assorted rags i am known to peruse.

Doesn't mean i eat it every day of course. :lol:

Yes, seem to remember that someone high up in brit cycling got good oat supplies to take on a trip with a team - can't remember if it was a training or competition trip. At a foreign customs he was asked if he was in charge of an old folks' party :)

Oats are hard to get hold of in Italy, especially at any sort of reasonable price. I think they think they are for horses. Which shows that the italians don't know as much as they think they do about food.
Sweep
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I love my porridge. Have it every morning. Can't say if it helps my cycling because I have it every morning (so no with/without comparisons).

Make mine from porridge oats (sometimes jumbo oats), using a microwave (nothing instant). Tried the various low cost Tesco Essentials, Basics, etc. but didn't like them so I now always use "posh" ones. But still pretty low cost (compared to breakfast cereal).

Ian
Bigdummysteve

Post by Bigdummysteve »

I'll have a pot of the instant porridge first thing in the morning, the only because it's easy. Wake up get the hot water on for coffee and the instant porridge job done. Followed by second breakfast about 10, my best one on this years jogle was in the new Forrest,HUGE! I think any real porridge would be a real faff in the tent with the cleaning up of the pans afterwards.
One thing I find is that my body tells me what I need, I found myself eating chicken burgers if passing a McDonalds of KFC, not something I would do normally. Basically just eat lots but I would agree with MickF a full English with everything sets you up grand for a long day
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

bigjim wrote:
iandriver wrote:Am I the only one who has porridge followed by a full English :( :wink: :? :shock:[/quote

Blimey ! porridge ,full english AND toast , no wonder they call you ' big jim ' ! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Tacascarow wrote:How do you stop your oats from welding to the pan?

Ziploc bags of porridge with some powdered milk, and then you only need to use the pan for heating water. There's also something therapeutic about warming your hands up in the morning on a bag of porridge before venturing any further into the day...
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mick F wrote:Calories, that's what you need. A long day in the saddle will consume perhaps 7,000cals or more.
Can you get that from porridge in the morning to get you through the miles?

No way! :shock:

Yes way! As well as it being OK for protein and the stunning benefits of its beta-glucan for people with high cholesterol, you can add tons of stuff to a porridge base like nut and seed sprinkles (to further boost protein content too, plus some omega oils), fresh fruit (if you have it - dried if not), or various syrups (I like maple/carob blend) to boost its calorie count in various ways. It'll get you through the morning and maybe then some, then spend an hour having a good salad-and-bread lunch and a pint...

Eating cured and fried meat before a ride seems most unappetising... but I guess we all like different things. Bananas can go rot somewhere far away from me, for example.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Graham

Post by Graham »

AlasdairMc wrote:Ziploc bags of porridge with some powdered milk, and then you only need to use the pan for heating water. There's also something therapeutic about warming your hands up in the morning on a bag of porridge before venturing any further into the day...

Interesting idea.
Which sort of ziploc bags can stand this sort of treatment ?
How do you clean the ziploc bag(s) day after day ?