Charging Devices Whilst Touring - Options??

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Heltor Chasca

Re: Charging Devices Whilst Touring - Options??

Post by Heltor Chasca »

This is what I have and I've been very chuffed. You can get it as low as £55 if you try and with a little solar panel. https://www.powertraveller.com/en/shop/ ... xplorer-2/

I use my hub Dynamo to charge the battery up while riding and the solar panel does the phone. When I get to campsites I use the battery for my iPad and gps. It worked for me although one day I would like a bigger solar panel. They are an amazing team of people in Hampshire. Highly recommended...b
gloomyandy

Post by gloomyandy »

If you read a lot when on tour (and I do) then using a kindle will have much better battery life than using your phone. My kindle will last up to about three weeks using it several hours each day. I usually load it up with maps and travel books for the area I'm visiting as well as a good stock of books to read. Wouldn't ever tour without it! Yes t is another device, but in my case it means the phone stays off pretty much all day and if the kindle goes flat it is not the end of the world.
robing

Post by robing »

gloomyandy wrote:If you read a lot when on tour (and I do) then using a kindle will have much better battery life than using your phone. My kindle will last up to about three weeks using it several hours each day. I usually load it up with maps and travel books for the area I'm visiting as well as a good stock of books to read. Wouldn't ever tour without it! Yes t is another device, but in my case it means the phone stays off pretty much all day and if the kindle goes flat it is not the end of the world.

I second this! And the new Kindle Paperwhite is even better. The backlight means you can read it in your tent at night and still the battery life is amazing. I have the Power Monkey Extreme for charging on the go and have been pleased with it. Fairly light and compact, and has a solar power option.
JackRabbitSlims

Post by JackRabbitSlims »

robing wrote:
gloomyandy wrote:If you read a lot when on tour (and I do) then using a kindle will have much better battery life than using your phone. My kindle will last up to about three weeks using it several hours each day. I usually load it up with maps and travel books for the area I'm visiting as well as a good stock of books to read. Wouldn't ever tour without it! Yes t is another device, but in my case it means the phone stays off pretty much all day and if the kindle goes flat it is not the end of the world.

I second this! And the new Kindle Paperwhite is even better. The backlight means you can read it in your tent at night and still the battery life is amazing. I have the Power Monkey Extreme for charging on the go and have been pleased with it. Fairly light and compact, and has a solar power option.

Thanks.

I've been looking at these products from Bushnell - http://bushnell.com/all-products/outdoo ... /powersync

Any comments or feedback from users on here??
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I use a garmin legend for navigation that takes 2 AA batts. I have a charger from the £1 shop that takes 2 AA batts. I've gone mad and spent another £1 to buy a spare. It a small plastic basic thing with a USB attached that I can plug into a computer or wall socket through a mains plug. If somebody nicks it I'm down a £1 and maybe the Batts.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

A charger for £1 Big Jim.

That surely must be terrible and will fry the batteries?

I have a Maplins fast charger (maybe about £15) which I later learned was damaging rechargeables. So I later got a Technoline.

I supppose your system is fine if you use super-cheap rechargeables and are happy to trash them on a trip - I accept that it's still a cheaper solution than non rechargables.

I would though be wary of plugging in a £1 charger in my own house - better to burn someone else's place down.
Sweep
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

A charger for £1 Big Jim.

Yup. Got to love those Chinese. Worked fine for the last four years and about 7 tours. No burning buildings yet.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Can someone help me with my ignorance please? I have a capacity rating on my battery (mAh) that is about 3 times that of the battery my oldest daughter has on hers. At full price (which I didn't pay) my battery is 8 times more expensive than hers.

Although my battery is waterproof and very rugged, what other factors affect the quality and therefore the price of these batteries? I've seen some supposedly large mAh ratings at low prices. Am I missing something?

As an aside: My battery takes a long time to charge which is deliberately engineered by the manufacturer so the battery lasts for many years if looked after.
Bigdummysteve

Post by Bigdummysteve »

I'm not too sure, I think a lot of the engineering went on the casing. I use a portapow 10000mha battery, I did try another bat but I found it discharged into the solar panel in low light,the portapow is designed to accept I trickle charge and has no such problems. I coupled it with a 14W portapow panel (roughly the size of a dummy rack) total outlay about £55, highly recommend kit, on a bright sunny day the panel will even charge a iPad direct. Power is going to be one think I need to address when I change to the ECR. I'm really,really going to try and slim down my kit!
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Bigdummysteve wrote:I'm not too sure, I think a lot of the engineering went on the casing. I use a portapow 10000mha battery, I did try another bat but I found it discharged into the solar panel in low light,the portapow is designed to accept I trickle charge and has no such problems. I coupled it with a 14W portapow panel (roughly the size of a dummy rack) total outlay about £55, highly recommend kit, on a bright sunny day the panel will even charge a iPad direct. Power is going to be one think I need to address when I change to the ECR. I'm really,really going to try and slim down my kit!

Yes! There's something so satisfying about solar power. I have a 3w panel which 'limps' along. Must improve my options.

Apart from the challenge of having WAY too many vowels I like the look of this: http://www.suaoki.com/products_solar1.html