10 big slow cyclists around Geneva...ideas?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
matata

10 big slow cyclists around Geneva...ideas?

Post by matata »

Hi all, Ten of us in all ( average age 50!) flying to Geneva next may for three full days cycling. approx 180 miles in total. Any ideas of where to go, stay hostels? , things to see etc. It will take us all day to do 60 miles but we like a bit of a challenge....maybe some big mountain pass or something. As little traffic/main road as possible. Many thanks for your experience Nik
TrevA

Re: 10 big slow cyclists around Geneva...ideas?

Post by TrevA »

You could do a Circuit of Lac Leman (Lake Geneva) round to Aigle then down to Martigny, then over the climb to Chamonix (Col de la Forclaz), then back to Geneva via Bonneville. There are also some good climbs to the SE of Geneva - Morzine to Avoriaz is one that springs to mind. It is sometimes used as a short time trial in the Tour de France. Most traffic goes on the motorways like the A40, if you follow the old roads like the D1205, there should be less traffic.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

You need to ask in Tour and Expedition - you'll get a better response there. Or at least try in Does Anyone Know (general bike Q's)
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

you could head north towards Yverdon les Bains across to Gruyerre then back via Lausanne - nothing too strenuous climb wise :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
whoof

Post by whoof »

I can possibly offer you some advice on where not to go. Last year I rode from Strasbourg to Geneva. We got to the lake from Saint Claude, west through the Parc naturel Haute Jura. This decent down to the lake was reasonably busy with traffic and I wouldn't have enjoyed it much coming up that way.

We rode to Nyon to a campsite that no longer existed and then around the lake to Geneva. I was hoping that we would be riding alongside the lake on a quiet path, instead it was on a main road with a shared foot/cycle-path. Geneva itself was expensive and a little underwhelming. We stayed in the Premier Class Hotel (a cheap chain mainly filled with reps and workmen) just over the border in France next to the airport for a couple of nights and cycled to the lake side for picnics (bought at the Carrefour on the French side) and swimming which was nice.

I've also ridden from the airport through Geneva south to Nice. I found it to be very busy with traffic which I am quite capable of riding in it's just not near the top of my 'enjoyable things to do list'.

On the plus side if you ride South to Lake Annecy this is a nice region and that are some good climbs nearby. There are plenty of campsites around the lake and many of these have chalets to rent. I've never been to this site just did a search for 'camping lake annecy' for an example. In May a chalet to sleep 3-4 71 euros a night

http://www.campinglesolitaire.com/en/fees.html
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

I was going to suggest Annecy too. If you want a challenge, you can go there via a mountain ridge called Saleve, though there is a bit of tedious suburbia to ride through to get to Annemasse at the north end of the ridge. There is also a train to get back if you don't want to ride, or get there even.
matata

Post by matata »

Thanks everyone so far. We're having a committee meeting in the pub next week so keep them coming. Much appreciated. Ta Nik