Touring Japan from Tokyo to Fukuoka in October

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
sylwekbala

Touring Japan from Tokyo to Fukuoka in October

Post by sylwekbala »

If anyone interested I have just compiled a short video about touring Japan in October 2015. Really interesting experience.

https://youtu.be/l8RSMnK1F3o

Enjoy watching! In case you have any questions do not hesitate to send me an email.
foreversummer

Re: Touring Japan from Tokyo to Fukuoka in October

Post by foreversummer »

Nice video of cycling in a beautiful country! Thanks for sharing
Did you write a blog?
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Nice one! Not sure about all this sitting in the road though!

I toured there last year and it was a pleasant reminder of some of the stuff I did. Tried Korea this year, preferred Japan. Hope to go back next year.

One criticism with the film, I would have liked a little more time with the map bits. I am fairly familiar with the geography of Japan, but I struggled to see where you were before the map shot ended. Probably not important to most people watching, but to nerds like me.............
sylwekbala

Post by sylwekbala »

thank you forevesummer! Not at the moment I'm planning to write something up soon. I will let you know once it's done.
Last edited by sylwekbala on 21 Nov 2015, 11:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
sylwekbala

Post by sylwekbala »

simonhill wrote:Nice one! Not sure about all this sitting in the road though!

I toured there last year and it was a pleasant reminder of some of the stuff I did. Tried Korea this year, preferred Japan. Hope to go back next year.

One criticism with the film, I would have liked a little more time with the map bits. I am fairly familiar with the geography of Japan, but I struggled to see where you were before the map shot ended. Probably not important to most people watching, but to nerds like me.............

Hahaha the same feedback from my wife :)

in terms of sitting on the road there was no traffic - after 4 hours climb to the top I found the road is closed due to the landslide. That would explain why there was no cars. But you are right sitting on the road in Japan is definitely very dangerous. Drivers do not seem to know how the speed limit road sing look like and how interpret them.

Thanks for the very constructive criticism!
groberts

Post by groberts »

Nice video - thanks.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

This looks amazing, would love to do this, how far is it?
sylwekbala

Post by sylwekbala »

mnichols wrote:This looks amazing, would love to do this, how far is it?

I'm glad you like the video. The main purpose of the video was to help a bit people planning a cycling touring in Japan.

To be honest I didn't measure the whole distance I rather enjoyed cycling without counting miles. From the estimation it is about 1200 miles.
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

I've been inspired. I'm going to do this in 2016. Thanks Sylwester
sylwekbala

Post by sylwekbala »

mnichols wrote:I've been inspired. I'm going to do this in 2016. Thanks Sylwester

I'm pretty sure you will enjoy it. Any video actually shows what you really experience on this kind of trips. So the most interesting part of this trip was observing the Japanese society. LOVELY PEOPLE!
Before going to this trip I recommend reading: "Round the World on a Wheel" - John Foster Fraser. In my view this is timeless book for any touring cyclist. There is an interesting part of the book where John describes their experience when they went to Japan. I must say I had very similar experience even though it's been more than hundred years ago. Enjoy!
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

How difficult is it to tour in Japan if you don't speak or read the language?
DaveGos

Post by DaveGos »

I have not toured , but did a days cycling there and have returned from a very recent 2 week trip. Its not that difficult without speaking the language , most signs are in English, most younger Japanese speak a little english , Smart phones with maps and language translators are a big benefit
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Mnichols, you may be interested in the post on cycle touring in Japan. viewtopic.php?f=16&t=92289&p=842412&hilit=Japan#p842412

Here is what I wrote about knowing the language:

I don't speak Japanese and got by OK. I was surprised to find how little English there was. I think this is a result of poor (spoken) English teaching and a reluctance to try - the Japanese are a very reserved people.

Annoyingly, there is lots of written English, but it is just for show, eg shop names, the name of a cake on a packet although the rest of the writing is in Japanese and my favourite, a folder in the hotel labelled "Information" in English, but all the stuff insde was in Japanese!

I don't think travelling is rocket science and I find it easy to get by in most places. When I walk into a hotel, they don't think I have come to pick up the laundry or fix the lift, but realise I want a room. In the convenience style food shops all items are priced and you just hand them over and they ring them up on the till using the same numbers we use. The restaurants either had a menu showing the food or plastic models outside. All very easy.

I should have said before, but almost every road direction sign was also in English.

The main thing I miss by not having the language is conversations, but you need a pretty good level to make it more than a collection of inane questions and answers.

My advice is if you want to go, go. Don't worry about the language.