Touring luxuries

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Cycling UK Publicity

Touring luxuries

Post by Cycling UK Publicity »

Hello all,

CTC is looking to write an article for the website which highlights a small selection of those little luxuries which can make a tour all the more pleasant. We've already asked around the office and had a few tips like corkscrews (which some might see as an essential!), an mkettle http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/wood-burning-stoves/RD102.html , ebook, nice outfit for the evening, cosy hotel room and a pre-booked train ticket with bike space but we also wanted to dip into the wider knowledge base of the forum members too.

We're looking to feature a top 5 from the forum (as chosen and selected by Cycle Clips' Julie Rand) and contributors will receive full recognition for their suggestions. If you could also please provide any links which you think might be useful and give reasons for your choice that would be really helpful for the writing of the article.

Thank you in advance!

CTC publicity team
al_yrpal

Re: Touring luxuries

Post by al_yrpal »

Lightweight hip flask full of an amber liquid. Dont confuse it with shower gel. :D

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

My luxury vote is for my library (on a Kindle, with a battery life that exceeds every tour duration so far, and a gentle backlight for after-dark reading).
Before I go, I use the excellent Calibre ebook library manager to load it up with my current fave fiction, travel and reference books and documents.
http://calibre-ebook.com/
In the years BK (Before Kindle), I used to struggle to ration my paper-load to the relevant maps, one fiction and one other book. Now, liberated, I can take as many as I want. Paper is always heavier than I think it possibly can be - a fact I am reminded of, every time I go over to our main building to pick up another box of printer paper... the Kindle weighs the same svelte 200-odd grammes, regardless of how many books are inside!
Last edited by simonineaston on 18 Nov 2015, 12:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
pwa

Post by pwa »

I always take a real book. I love to get away from electronic technology and screens. A proper paperback book and a head torch do the job very nicely for me. I usually choose a good old fashioned detective story. Clues in the library, and all that sort of stuff. I know it isn't high literature, but it's good to relax with.
whizzzz

Post by whizzzz »

Although I haven't toured on my bike yet, I have travelled and camped a lot and on my last big trip skiing across Greenland's icecap, I really wished I had the thing that converts a sleeping mat into a seat, such as the Therm-a-Rest Trekker. And as it is light and packs down well, its on my list of things to take next trip.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

An electric kettle!

In fact I bought one only yesterday from Tesco Lotus, Thailand's version of Tescos. A mere 229 baht (just over 4 quid). Small, lightweight and low powered enough not to knock out the local electricity supply.

I tour mainly in Asia where many countries provides kettle, water boiler or jugs of hot water. In countries that don't, I like to have my own kettle.

Check into hotel and mak a cup of tea, ideal if a bit dehydrated. Maybe one before bed. Certainly two or three in the morning. Also the odd cup of coffee.

Can be used for instant noodles if no nearby restaurant and instant porridge in the morning for breakfast. Purifies water so saves on bottled stuff, I reckon it saved me $75 in 2 months in Cuba.

The more I write, the more I realise not a luxury, but an essential.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

a bag of Haribo or similar to munch on as i peruse the maps/guide books after i've returned to my accomodation/tent for the evening :D
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

toothbrush - for ones companion. Nothing worse than foul breath in yr face
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

When camping the luxury is an inflatable pillow.

General touring, hotel/b&b/camping a Kindle has been a boon in recent years. Several books to read in a compact size and I put copies of all my travel and insurance documents on it as well.

Another luxury --- getting away from computers, and the associated constant contact with other people. I've switched off, I'm on holiday.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

My luxury is a percolater 8) It makes good coffee, but it can also be used as kettle, steamer, soup pot, extra cooking pot, etc. It can be filled with things, so it doesn't take up so much room in panniers.

p.s. +1 for the Kindle. I love mine.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
JBB

Post by JBB »

Alite Mayfly chair when I'm camping...
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

I seem to remember someone on here recommending a stainless steel cafettiere possibly available through the demon amazon, until i get that my favourite luxury ( i lie, a necessity) is a bialetti espresso maker.
Sweep
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Thanks to someone on here I learnt about the aeropress.
I bought one and love it. Not too heavy to carry and takes up little space.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

My Lippy! :lol: A book, Cross stitch.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Dudley Manlove

Post by Dudley Manlove »

In my first tours my kit included stuff like: pair of doc martens for the evening, medium sized ghettoblaster, folding chair. I've taken a weber BBQ on a 4 day tour before but can't really say that's part of my regular kit. Nowadays, I'd say civvie clothes for the evening (at least a regular shirt, maybe a pair of jeans), a small portable DAB radio, and ofc drinkies for the evening picked up as and when.