South of Naples, 4 day tour,300miles in total..Ideas?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
matata

South of Naples, 4 day tour,300miles in total..Ideas?

Post by matata »

A group of ten blokes cycling to and from Naples mid may. Happy to b+b. With a few good climbs, nice scenery and a few drinks. Anyone any ideas or suggestions for routes, things to see etc. Ta Nic
jacksonz

Re: South of Naples, 4 day tour,300miles in total..Ideas?

Post by jacksonz »

I was looking at this myself. Maybe the Eurovelo 5 or 7 routes in Italy will give a clue to a safe path: http://www.eurovelo.com/en/eurovelos

Next thing would be to check on the cycling infrastructure in Naples. There is so much to see. I was keen to see the Palace in Caserta (on the way) and visit Herculaneum. I've ridden a lot in Northern Italy where there are quite a few decent cycle paths but south of Rome looks a little bit difficult. I think a nice path makes all the difference, especially in Italy.. Please publish your route!
honesty

Post by honesty »

I have not cycled round there but have been a few time by car as my aunty used to have a flat down that way.

South of Naples you've got the Amalfi coast, which can be beautiful and can be rammed depending on what time of year you go. Further south is Paestum, a world heritage site. Finally you'll get to the cilentan coast, its like the Amalfi but only visited by Italians. Palinuro is lovely and where I used to say. The beaches and coast line are very impressive as are the grottos. Seeing the sea lit by sunlight from underneath is beautiful. The inland park region of there is very nice as well and you can by the looks of it link it back round to Naples through other regional parks.
ubert767

Post by ubert767 »

Can't help with south of Naples but may I suggest the eastern coast (Puglia) which we did in April/May last. A loop around Bari, flying from Gatwick. Perfect time of year with lots of springtime new growth particularly through the Alta Murgia National Park, very few tourists (or other cyclists for that matter) and empty roads. Very impressed with the standard of B&Bs and hotels and good value for money, it being off the major tourist trail. Extremely friendly locals and lots to see, especially Matera and Ostuni.
Rob
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Only been to Naples once.
I was in the RN and we called in there for a few days - spring 1989 - and as usual, I took my bike.

I tried cycling on the Saturday afternoon but it was impossible through the traffic. They clogged the roads, drove on the pavements, paid no attention to any highway codes, and I gave up.

Following day - Sunday - the roads were deserted, and I set off round the city and found my way south to the foothills of Vesuvius.
I rode up the zig zag lanes and through the quiet housing areas, and worked my way up and up and up and up ................

Highly recommended! :D
Mick F. Cornwall