Steed Advice: 2017 California to Maine

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
CafeSprinter

Steed Advice: 2017 California to Maine

Post by CafeSprinter »

I am planning to do a cross country trip here in the US from California to Maine, about 3,300 mi / 5250 km total, in 2017. I have already started my training regimen and I'm now ready to start investing in the proper equipment.

The first thing is, of course, the bike. I used to have a vintage Peugeot that I loved but it got stolen a few years back. I replaced it with a Gravity Liberty disc-equipped cyclocross of BikesDirect fame. I've actually been VERY happy with this bike. I'm a grad student, and in the US that means I am struggling under crippling debt, so I don't have a ton of money and a $500 bicycle was perfect for my needs.

But with this trip, my needs have changed. I can't depend on a $500 bike to get me 3300 miles in 60 days. So I turn to you guys. I've already looked at a ton of bikes (Trek 520, Surly Trucker Disc, etc.) and had a brief love-affair with the Louis Garneau LGS-GMT before being set straight by a few of your gents on the build quality.

So I am asking for recommendations. I am having trouble finding a bike that meets my preferences. Every bike I look at is missing one of the key features that I really would like to have for such a long trip. I should also mention that I am 5' 8" (173cm) and I take a 54cm frame on a road or CX comfortably.

The features I would prefer to have:
-Drop bars
-STI shifters
-Disc Brakes
-24 speed or higher
-700c wheels
-Light in color, preferably white.

There are other things of course, but I am too new to the touring scene to list anything other than things that I have personal experience with and have liked having. I do know that having an ultegra set would be nice... and I wouldn't mind going titanium instead of steel... but alas, that brings me to the final and certainly most important caveat... budget.

I will be buying this bike with a maximum of $1,500 (€1,400 or £1,000... roughly.)

I'll be happy to listen to any suggestions, recommendations, or advice you guys have. I'm rather green when it comes to cycling. I've only been doing it seriously for about two years.

Thanks in advance.
irc

Re: Steed Advice: 2017 California to Maine

Post by irc »

You may be asking in the wrong place as most users here are UK based. The bike models on sale are a bit different here than the USA though some are common to both markets. Worth asking on Crazyguyonabike or another US forum.

Before answering it would be useful to know what weight you are and what style of tour you are planning. The amount of gear you are carrying and your weight affects the choice of bike.

That said assuming you are going for something like a traditional tourers I'd suggest a Disc Trucker would meet your needs. I think it's bar end shifters though but you would soon get used to them. I've done a far bit of touring on a V brake Trucker and found the handling good loaded or unloaded. You wouldn't go far wrong with the Trek 520 either. Or what about the Marin $ Corners. Looks to tick all the boxes.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

CafeSprinter wrote:But with this trip, my needs have changed. I can't depend on a $500 bike to get me 3300 miles in 60 days.

Are you sure about that? What's wrong with the bike that you can't depend on it? I can understand if you want a new bike, but if there are a some components that need replacing, maybe you are better off upgrading your current bike?

I would trust a $500 bike as long components were in good condition.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Zimba

Post by Zimba »

Having looked at your wish list I would definitely recommend the Surly lht. It can be bought in the UK for £934 from Tredz.co.uk and I would imagine that it will be significantly cheaper on the US. It's got a huge, well deserved following and a fairly bullet proof reliability record. The Trek 520 pales in comparison.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Are you sure about white? I bought my son a Dawes Audax SE that is mainly white and it shows the dirt like no other bike we have had.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

irc wrote:Or what about the Marin $ Corners. Looks to tick all the boxes.

On assuming that IRC means '4' Corners, it does indeed look interesting. Some here doubt it's values, but I have been tempted by these. I started a thread regarding them. Good price.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=96533

Otherwise, as mentioned in your other thread, the Novara bikes from REI look good, and seem to be well regarded, and the Soma Saga Disc looks essentially identical to the Surly Disc Trucker, so both those could work well. Looking at REI's site the Traitor Wander looks like another DT/SSD cousin. All these though, I think are bar-end (which many here like), while I think only the 4 Corners mentioned above is STI.
Graham O

Post by Graham O »

The Surly Straggler is a disc braked version of the Surly Cross Check and I would suggest that as an option. If it rides the same as the Cross Check (and I don't know of any reason why it shouldn't) then it should be super comfortable. It also comes in a light colour, albeit mint, rather than white. http://surlybikes.com/bikes/straggler.
If the standard spec. isn't suitable, you can always get a frame and build it with the components you want.
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Graham O wrote:The Surly Straggler is a disc braked version of the Surly Cross Check and I would suggest that as an option. If it rides the same as the Cross Check (and I don't know of any reason why it shouldn't) then it should be super comfortable. It also comes in a light colour, albeit mint, rather than white. http://surlybikes.com/bikes/straggler

Watch out if you've got big feet when loaded. Short chainstays could lead to you hitting the luggage with your heels. And small frame size is awkward for toe overlap, but I suppose that's true of all 700c frames.

In order to get mudguards on Mme's tiny one, the wheels are in the farthest rear position in the slot, and tyres need to be deflated to get in and out. I guess bigger sizes should be fine.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

a fairly bullet proof reliability record.

Thats just a description of the frame though surely. All the rest is something that could be attached to any bike. I thought most of them were bought frame only. A guy in our club has recently bought a black one and built it up. Looks very nice. I always think they are a bit overkill for normal touring. I tour with a guy who rides one and he finds it heavy. Comfy though.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Surly DT or Salsa Marrakesh would probably be my choice if I were in the US. Over here I'd probably add a Dawes to the mix (they do a few models, some with disc) or a Thorn Club Tour. The Club Tour can be specified with discs and comes with STIs.

EDIT: also the Specialized AWOL Evo. not a model that will be making it over here unfortunately, but if you can get one in the US it's a fantastic bike with dyno hubs etc. and it's red.
CafeSprinter

Post by CafeSprinter »

Ran across this beauty. My only concern is that it's a 2x10. I'm used to keeping three up front, and while I wouldn't mind switching for road riding, the US can be a pretty hilly place so I worry that I might get stuck in the Rockys.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/ ... lite#specs
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

CafeSprinter wrote:Ran across this beauty. My only concern is that it's a 2x10. I'm used to keeping three up front, and while I wouldn't mind switching for road riding, the US can be a pretty hilly place so I worry that I might get stuck in the Rockys.

How do you get stuck? You just get off and push.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

CafeSprinter wrote:Ran across this beauty. My only concern is that it's a 2x10. I'm used to keeping three up front, and while I wouldn't mind switching for road riding, the US can be a pretty hilly place so I worry that I might get stuck in the Rockys.

I don't think having 2 X 10 is a problem, but the lowest gear might be. That's somewhat higher geared than I would want for loaded touring, though there are folks around who would tour comfortably on that.

The lowest gear on the Elite is 27 gear inches. The lowest gear on the similar (but more expensive) Evo is 24.4 gear inches, which falls better into the range of gearing for touring. Though, I have to admit that if I were planning a tour that included the Rockies, I would look for something with a bottom gear of closer to 21 gear inches, not everyone finds that necessary. It also somewhat depends on what you carry and what you are used to.

You can compare gearing using one of the online gear calculators. I usually use Sheldon Brown's http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

On the other hand, if you do get something that is geared too high, the worst that happens is you walk up some hills.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom