Rhine mini-tour - What have I missed?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
F70100

Rhine mini-tour - What have I missed?

Post by F70100 »

Mrs F70100 has been enjoying her e-bike this year and has agreed that a (very) mini tour along the Rhine next spring/summer ought to be achievable.

Our plan then is to drive from home (Suffolk) to Cologne with the bikes on the back of the car, leave the car in the Cologne airport long stay car park for a week, overnight in Cologne, 4 x 30 miles up the Rhine to Mainz with time for beer & skittles along the way, day over in Mainz, train back to Cologne, collect car and drive home. It seems almost too easy.

Apart from needing reservations (as well as tickets) for the bikes on the intercity train [how late can one make a reservation?] what could possibly go wrong to create a bad experience for Mrs F70100? Is there some arcane German rule that says you can only park at the airport if you're flying?
Last edited by Graham on 8 Nov 2015, 12:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title
foxyrider

Re: Rhine mini-tour - What have I missed?

Post by foxyrider »

Okay lets start at the top.

Koln airport is actually closer to Bonn than Koln and its certainly not a pleasant ride into Koln from the airport. You can however get the U bahn into Koln. You don't need reservations for the train back north although you should have a ticket before getting on the train! Any of the northbound trains will take you, you will need a day fahrradkarte for each bike, some journeys change at Koblenz. There are various ticket options that can save you a fortune and unlike the UK DB staff and ticket machines are keen to promote these. If you go onto www.Bahn.com you can check out the timings/through trains and fares so for example I put in 2 persons from Mainz to Koln next Saturday and got this

Mainz Hbf
Sa, 14.11.15 dep 09:05 2:00 0 IC 38,00 EUR   IC 2216 Intercity Direction: Stralsund Hbf
Bicycles conveyed - subject to reservation , Number of bicycles conveyed limited , Bordbistro
Köln Hbf Sa, 14.11.15 arr 11:05 5

If you call DB in the UK they are very helpful and can book your journey for you or for flexibility buy at Mainz or any other station - counter staff generally have a working understanding of English.

The stretch from Koln to Bonn isn't very pleasant or picturesque but you might want to cross the river on the numerous ferries to make the most of your trip. The east bank tends to be busier than the west with bike traffic but there are some nice towns etc on the west that are often overlooked, Konigswinter with Drachenfels and Linz for example and you might find accommodation is cheaper that side too!

Hope you both enjoy it
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
F70100

Post by F70100 »

Thanks for posting Foxy. I might well drop off Mrs F70100 and her bike at the Cologne hotel and do the ride back to the hotel from the airport on my own if it's just a utility ride.

Anyone know if it's possible to make bike reservations for the Intercity trains at the last minute? Hoping that might bring a little more flexibility of we need it.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

F70100 wrote:
Anyone know if it's possible to make bike reservations for the Intercity trains at the last minute?

It is - subject to space. The normal RB (regiobahn) trains don't have the same restrictions, it can be a bit of a free for all but no one will complain about making space! On the Rheinbahn routes you shouldn't have any issues with access either (some of the smaller lines/stations can have access issues, I once had to literally climb from ground level into the bike carriage through a narrow doorway - thankfully the bike wasn't loaded!)
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
robgul

Post by robgul »

Don't want to put a dampener on the idea ... but from experience on a cycle tour this year and past motor trips in the area the section of the Rhine that you are contemplating, as suggested up-thread, is pretty boring and industrial - big wide, greyish-brown river with enormous barges going up and down. That said, the cycle path/towpath is excellent for most of it.

If you are set on Koln as the start to go south to Koblenz and along the Moselle for a bit is much better (strictly speaking with the flow of the rivers it's uphill that way!)

Rob
Last edited by robgul on 9 Nov 2015, 1:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

robgul wrote:Don't want to put a damper on the idea ... but from experience on a cycle tour this year and past motor trips in the area the section of the Rhine that you are contemplating, as suggested up-thread, is pretty boring and industrial - big wide, greyish-brown river with enormous barges going up and down. That said, the cycle path/towpath is excellent for most of it.

If you are set on Koln as the start to go south to Koblenz and along the Moselle for a bit is much better (strictly speaking with the flow of the rivers it's uphill that way!)

Rob

we taslking the same river? from Koblenz south - for most of the distance to Mainz you are in the Rhein gorge - Boppard, Loreley, Rudesheim etc - yes there are one or two industrial sites but it is only a couple. Koln to Bonn is the most industrial leg to be sure but to suggest the rest of it is all factories is a blatant lie.
F70100

Post by F70100 »

Thanks Rob; Cologne is included as Mrs F70100 would like to see the Dom and the city, and for being able to leave the car somewhere (relatively) safe for a week. It does appear that the Rhine is prettier south from Koblenz - it would be nice to combine that with the Mosel to Trier but I can't fit it into small enough distances that would be acceptable all the tour participants :wink: Hopefully we can do that next time when the concept has been proven.
nez

Post by nez »

Maybe your wife's ebike is lighter than my wife's. Lugging it up and down steps and on and off trains is very low on my list of must do activities. With luggage too?
F70100

Post by F70100 »

It's only going to be one train but thanks for the reminder that we'll need to plan for this. The e-bike is indeed a tank, returning to its country of birth...
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

I've done Koblenz to Cologne twice, the second time partly on the eastern side which is nice, but so's the West. Around Bonn is a bit boring.
I've done Koblenz to Bingen several times, maybe five times. All on the Western side. Bacharach is a small town well worth looking at and there are a couple of castles you can visit here and there.
I've done Bingen to Mainz once. Mainz is a nice town with a lovely square which had a Croatian restaurant which was brilliant (About 8 years ago). Between Bingen and Mainz it's pretty rustic but you may like that.
I've also cycled the Mosel from Trier to Koblenz several times. It's fab.
You could do the Mosel OR the Lahn valley on the other side of the river. I've done that three times. It's lovely..

Choices, choices!
nez

Post by nez »

F70100 wrote:It's only going to be one train but thanks for the reminder that we'll need to plan for this. The e-bike is indeed a tank, returning to its country of birth...

Same as ours. But it makes her smile when I'm sweating up hills and she passes all serene
F70100

Post by F70100 »

nez dans le guidon wrote:Same as ours. But it makes her smile when I'm sweating up hills and she passes all serene

Serene ?? Mrs F70100 laughs like a drain :)
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

[quote="F70100]. The e-bike is indeed a tank..[/quote]
Forgetting the UK to euro plug adaptor might put her off for a year or ten :?
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I recommend the section between Basel and Mainz or Koblenz, rather than Cologne to Mainz. The nicest part of Cologne to Mainz is the gorge after Koblenz.

Given your wife's desire for a 'mini' tour, maybe you could combine cycling with river cruises? There are a number of cruise boats that take bicycles. Google Rhine river cruise boats and call the companies and ask about arrangements to combine cycling and cruise boats.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Oh, and it may be worth asking your starting hotel about parking. You may be able to leave your car there, rather than at the airport, especially if you arrange to stay there on both ends of the cycling trip.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom