Altmuhl cycle path

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
gordonyoung

Altmuhl cycle path

Post by gordonyoung »

HI

Had two great cycle tours this year - Lake Constance in Sep and then Andalucía in October and looking now for next year. The Altmuhl looks interesting from Rothenberg to Regensburg - Germany is such good value. Anyone cycled it?

Thanks Gordon
foxyrider

Re: Altmuhl cycle path

Post by foxyrider »

Only little bits of it. Personally I wouldn't bother sticking to it and you'll miss some great towns with a lot more to see and do than along the Altmuhl. For me I'd go south via Nördlingen to Donauworth then head east along the Danube to Regensburg. You could do that in five days or if you want to look at stuff add in extra time.

That route would allow you to visit the Ries crater, Harburg castle, the museums in Ingolstadt, various Roman things along the Donau, the the Donau gorge and finally arrive in Regensburg. You will need a day in Rothenburg to see everything. Depending on your timetable you could ride to Rothenburg from Frankfurt in two days or catch the Romantische Straße bus from the Hbf. Fly into Frankfurt, it's a very easy airport for cyclists to use.

This part of Germany is not the most scenic, the Altmuhle meanders through low hills with not a great deal to see. If you do decide to hit this area I can offer some visit ideas, museums etc, I was there in 2014.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Galloper

Post by Galloper »

I've cycled several chunks of it around Rothenburg o d Tauber and Eichstatt. Rothenburg is quite stunning and, as mentioned above, well worth a day's exploration. One of the main attractions in that part of the world is the Romantische Strasse, a medieval trade route which links some lovely small towns. You can follow this using several of the local cycle routes. The Altmuhl links to the Main and Tauber cycle routes and I find the whole area very attractive. Creglingen is a pleasant town and a good base to explore, I can recommend the Youth Hostel there and there are plenty of good hotels and B&Bs along the various routes. I agree it is not the most scenic but it is very pleasant. Have a look at:

http://www.germany.travel/en/news/disco ... 51107.html
robing

Post by robing »

gordonyoung wrote:HI

Had two great cycle tours this year - Lake Constance in Sep and then Andalucía in October and looking now for next year. The Altmuhl looks interesting from Rothenberg to Regensburg - Germany is such good value. Anyone cycled it?

Thanks Gordon

How did you find Andalucia in October? I did it in June/July and it was a bit too hot, over 40 degrees most days.
gordonyoung

Post by gordonyoung »

Andalucía in October was perfect for temperature. Between 20 and 26 C and sunny most of the time (rained when we were in Ronda). We stayed in Montecorto with Andalucía Cycling Experience using the Leisure Ride holiday.
Dean

Post by Dean »

I think I preferred the Tauber.

http://aroundtheworldbyaccident.blogspo ... el/Germany

I rode from Frankfurt, along the Main, down the Tauber and then the Altmühl to Landshut and across to the Danube. It was mainly for an easy route, rather than for the scenery, though Bavaria's a decent place to ride your bike anyhow.

I got the impression the Altmühl is of most interest to paleontologists (that spelling doesn't look right) and geologists, as it's the home of archaeopteryx, and it was the original source of the Danube, way back when.