Dog Trailer

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
sam86ni

Dog Trailer

Post by sam86ni »

Hello all,

I want to visit the Orkney Islands next year with my dog, using a dog trailer - attached to my custom surly long haul trucker.

My dog is a border collie crossed with a kelpie, she will be a tiny bit smaller than a border collie.

I am looking for one that has:

Must come with a comfi bed, preferably waterproofed for mucky paws; and the inner dimensions must be able
to hold her comfortably.
Good quality hubs and bearings on the wheels; and the bearings are easily purchased.
It has to be completely waterproof, or an accessory that waterproofs it, without hindering the rear lights.
The chassis and frame must be constructed of good quality material, preferably cromoly steel.
Suspension would be a plus.
The tubes and tyres for the wheels must be easily purchased.
The company that sells it, must have good customer service - and preferably a UK company.

I have done a bit of research. I have seen two major brands, one called the doggyhut and one called the doggyride. I have managed to contact
doggyride and ask questions, however their response was vague and didn't answer the technical questions; I sent another email and have yet to hear
a response - so that is doggyride out of the question. I cannot find an official site for doggyhut.

This is a niche market, especially for a trailer that needs to be able to withstand long journeys, not a jaunt around the park. Maintenance parts is also
critical, no point in having a trailer, only to have the bearings, hub, tube, or tyre to need replaced; to find you cannot source the parts.

Any advise and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sam
Heltor Chasca

Re: Dog Trailer

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Hi Sam. Welcome. My springer perches on the back of my Surly Big Dummy so I haven't got experience of dog trailers although I see many people have used kiddy trailers for dogs. I would even make the excuse of getting a Bob Yak trailer. Your dog may prefer the wind in it's ears. Mine doesn't like to be closed in. Image
Tacascarow

Post by Tacascarow »

I've a carry freedom Y (small) & I've just had a good engineering friend construct an aluminium box to fit for my two terriers.
It wasn't cheap but anything bespoke isn't going to be. But you might find a suitable off the shelf pet carrier that you could bolt to a trailer. Or a similar box that can be modified.
Most of the dog trailers I've seen for sale have been cheap, steel framed & looked pretty poor quality running gear.
Plus the tops where just nylon canvas & mesh.
I can strap luggage on mine & it's completely weather proof other than the weldmesh door at the back.
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

I bought a Carry-Freedom small dog-crate conversion off another of the forumites, via eBay. Details here, if you want an idea of what can very simply be achieved by bolting a dog crate onto the supplied frame.

I'd recommend going for the large trailer for your size of dog; we've got a terrier, and wouldn't really want anything smaller.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Just a pic. No idea about credentials https://www.flickr.com/photos/click-sta ... 304355888/
sam86ni

Post by sam86ni »

Thanks for the ideas. I believe the crate and trailer idea would suit us best, for the type of travelling we will be doing. Be far easier to get spares or replace parts on demand, as the market is slightly bigger for cargo trailers.
sam86ni

Post by sam86ni »

Tacascarow, what size of nuts and bolts and how many did your friend use to secure the carrier to the trailer? Could I bother you to take detailed pictures of your trailer, so I can get a better visual grasp.

Much appreciated :)
Last edited by sam86ni on 6 Nov 2015, 9:26pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

No experience of such things but, is your dog happy in such things. Is it worth trying him/her is a crate and then e.g. put the crate in a wheel barrow and wheel it around a bit (simulate movement). Or anything to check that your dog is not terrified of such things (before spending loads on the trailer).

I remember one of mine (Border Collie) used to lie in a corner in the car whining/crying. But I did some training and after a bit she start enjoying chasing oncoming vehicles (she has the back of the car down so she'd wait up behind the passenger seat watching for oncoming vehicles then as they passed there would be a woof as she leapt to the back of the car "chasing" the passing vehicle. We then gradually moderated that and ended-up with acceptable behaviour and she loves the car. But it could have gone differently so maybe worth doing what checks you can with your dog first.

Ian
Tacascarow

Post by Tacascarow »

sam86ni wrote:Tacascarow, what size of nuts and bolts and how many did your friend use to secure the carrier to the trailer? Could I bother you to take detailed pictures of your trailer, so I can get a better visual grasp.

Much appreciated :)

If it's not too wet tomorrow I will happily do so.
I'd fully intended taking a load & posting them here anyway.
:)
Tacascarow

Post by Tacascarow »

rfryer wrote:I bought a Carry-Freedom small dog-crate conversion off another of the forumites, via eBay. Details here, if you want an idea of what can very simply be achieved by bolting a dog crate onto the supplied frame.
:wink:
I'd recommend going for the large trailer for your size of dog; we've got a terrier, and wouldn't really want anything smaller.
You where lucky I almost bid on that one myself.
Got called away from the computer at the inopportune moment.
The trailer was worth more than that alone.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I think Burley do one to as another option.
Graham

Post by Graham »

Tacascarow wrote:
rfryer wrote:I bought a Carry-Freedom small dog-crate conversion off another of the forumites, via eBay. Details here, if you want an idea of what can very simply be achieved by bolting a dog crate onto the supplied frame.
:wink:
You where lucky I almost bid on that one myself.
Got called away from the computer at the inopportune moment.
The trailer was worth more than that alone.

I was watching that one too . .. and I don't even have a dog.
It is an impressive solution and a super bargain for rfryer.
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

Graham wrote:I was watching that one too . .. and I don't even have a dog.
It is an impressive solution and a super bargain for rfryer.

Yes, I was surprised to end up as the sole bidder - maybe there's so much competition from cheap imported trailers that good quality appears overpriced.

Anyway, I'm enjoying getting our Patterdale Terrier, Mac, used to his new accommodation. Good exercise for me, too :lol: :lol:
Graham

Post by Graham »

rfryer wrote:Anyway, I'm enjoying getting our Patterdale Terrier, Mac, used to his new accommodation. Good exercise for me, too :lol: :lol:

Good excuse for a photoshoot ?
Elizabeth_S

Post by Elizabeth_S »

Just remember that Orkney is very windy even in summer, and that is on a 'normal' day, so you will have to take care in cross winds. We were there in July and it was dry and I won't say warm, but it was windy all the time. Plus the main island is mostly cattle farming with wire and post or electric fencing and there are very few trees, so it can gust. The western edge was nice for walking, but lots of cliffs. We did paddle, with jackets and fleeces on! We chose to leave our dog at home and I didn't regret it as we would have had to compromise on where we walked (she's a new rescue, so not much control then, much better now). We were there to mainly see the neolithic stuff and that was brill.