Trouble deciding on a tent upgrade

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
Jimstar79

Trouble deciding on a tent upgrade

Post by Jimstar79 »

Hi guys,

I am in the market for a new tent but after spending a good part of my spare time over the last 3 weeks looking at tents I am in need of some help/advice. I simply can't keep on finishing work to spend the evening staring at tents on the internet! Haha!

I've been using a Coleman Cobra 2 for a few years now and I don't think I can face camping with that tent for more than a couple of nights again - there are just too many design flaws with it, it's quite heavy, it turns into a sauna in warm weather, and it is near impossible to enjoy when the weather is bad outside as the vestibule area and flysheet design is rubbish. I have never been able to understand why the people who designed the Cobra left so many things wrong with it - do something like that where I work and the manager will soon be over having a word! I've always regretted buying the Cobra instead of the Vango Banshee, but, hey, I've slept in some incredible places in the Cobra so I am not going to begrudge it.

I've been looking at Wild Country Zephyros 2 and Terra Nova Laser Competition 2 - which seem very similar to each other, except the WC weighs some 600g more than the TN and is over £100 more expensive. Still, these tents will be similar in size and shape to the Cobra that I already own. I'd like a tent that I can sit up in without having to bow my head or or have my head constantly hitting the tent ceiling. I'd really like a tent that also cooks my meals and gives foot and back massages after a long days riding but I can't seem to find any on the internet!! :lol:

I wild camped with a couple of German's that I met on Skye during the summer and one of them had an MSR dome tent and I was amazed at how much space he had inside. My hang up with MSR dome's is that they are to be light grey - which won't help much when wild camping! I was in touch with Cascade Designs last week to simply ask them why they decided to go with a colour that doesn't blend in with the natural environment but the guy I chatted with didn't seem to understand what I was getting at. A white/grey tent can be seen some 5 miles away. He did tell me that all newer models of the Hubba NX were going to be grey and that I should try and find one with a green flysheet soon as they were being discontinued.

I am umming and arring between a tunnel tent and a dome tent. Like all bike packers I want lightweight, space, and a tent that offers protection from the weather. I am prepared to spend quite a lot on a very good tent but I am finding the decision very difficult. Should I really be getting so concerned about a sub 2kg tent? I'm very happy in the evenings when I just need a place to crash but I was getting very frustrated inside the Cobra when I was forced inside by awful weather.

I'm really interested to hear about which tents you are using and how content you are with them whilst undertaking 1-3 month tours.

Anyway, I am full of cold right now so I hope my writing is OK.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."
H. G. Wells quotes
hamster

Re: Trouble deciding on a tent upgrade

Post by hamster »

You will get a shedload of contradictory advice. The trade-off between weight, price, robustness and space is up to you and there is no single right answer. Some are happy to sleep in a bin bag to save weight, others want a collapsible palace.

In the end it's best to visit a few shops and try things out.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

There is another thread running that may give you some information.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
honesty

Post by honesty »

hamster wrote:You will get a shedload of contradictory advice. The trade-off between weight, price, robustness and space is up to you and there is no single right answer. Some are happy to sleep in a bin bag to save weight, others want a collapsible palace.

Pretty spot on. There will be a sweet spot where price, weight and size all are at the optimal trade offs for you, but this does differ again between people.

What would be helpful though is some idea of budget.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

I used a Terra Nova Laser for years, and while it did everything it needed to, I never really learned to love it. Not quite high enough to sit up in (I'm 5'6"), and with a high middle, and low ends, when you lie down the roof's very close to your face. Very quick to put up & take down though.
I now use a Big Agnes Seedhouse 2, and I'm very happy with it. The only downside, in principle, is that it pitches inner-first (seems to be an American thing?), which could be an issue if you're pitching in heavy rain. Never caused me more than a tiny problem though.
Which isn't to say, of course, that I wouldn't like to buy yet another tent (I've got four already). Ah the endless wheel of desire...
Jimstar79

Post by Jimstar79 »

honesty wrote:
hamster wrote:You will get a shedload of contradictory advice. The trade-off between weight, price, robustness and space is up to you and there is no single right answer. Some are happy to sleep in a bin bag to save weight, others want a collapsible palace.

Pretty spot on. There will be a sweet spot where price, weight and size all are at the optimal trade offs for you, but this does differ again between people.

What would be helpful though is some idea of budget.

Both good replies. I have considered that this is a very tricky topic and have spent a lot of time visiting sites and reading review and watching vids on Youtube.

I think I am prepared to spend up to £300 or thereabouts on a tent. Considering that a tent is an integral part of cycle touring and I have spent over a grand on my bike and a further £200 on panniers, handlebar bag and front rack, I think a tent should be given viewed with parallel importance, also with sleeping bag and cooking equipment. Believe me, I am not someone who is too hung up about luxury though.

I guess I am looking for that 'sweet spot' you refer to!
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race."
H. G. Wells quotes
Jimstar79

Post by Jimstar79 »

nirakaro wrote:I used a Terra Nova Laser for years, and while it did everything it needed to, I never really learned to love it. Not quite high enough to sit up in (I'm 5'6"), and with a high middle, and low ends, when you lie down the roof's very close to your face. Very quick to put up & take down though.
I now use a Big Agnes Seedhouse 2, and I'm very happy with it. The only downside, in principle, is that it pitches inner-first (seems to be an American thing?), which could be an issue if you're pitching in heavy rain. Never caused me more than a tiny problem though.
Which isn't to say, of course, that I wouldn't like to buy yet another tent (I've got four already). Ah the endless wheel of desire...

Woah, I've just checked out the Big Agnes, it looks like a great tent - pretty much what I am looking for in many ways. I'll look around a bit more... It seems like it retails in the USA but there may be a retailer in the UK. I've also read a lot of good things about REI tents and considered importing one only to be deterred by trade barriers like import taxes, VAT and duty.
H. G. Wells quotes
Jimstar79

Post by Jimstar79 »

Big Agnes Seedhouse on Ebay US:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Big-Agnes-TSH ... SwAYtWLkSi

Price: £204
Shipping: £25
Import Tax: approx £75 (what a joke!)

Great looking tent, though!
H. G. Wells quotes
Jimstar79

Post by Jimstar79 »

Haha - check out this Chinese version for only £67 at only 1.5kg!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Naturehike-2- ... 1729234793

Might be worth a try?
H. G. Wells quotes
hamster

Post by hamster »

Jimstar79 wrote:Haha - check out this Chinese version for only £67 at only 1.5kg!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Naturehike-2- ... 1729234793

Might be worth a try?

You cannot break the light, strong, cheap: pick two... wisdom. The cloth looks terribly light and it appears to be a triumph of specmanship over utility.

I've used a Terra Nova Voyager for years, just replaced with another one. For light / fast / short trips I use a Jack Wolfskin Gossamer.

The latest Voyager is noticeably lighter-built than the old one, if a little bigger.
The Gossamer achieves its lightness by being tiny, but is built like a brick outhouse and is great for wild camping as it's tiny and shrugs off brambles. I shudder at having to live in it for a week, but it's OK for overnight shelter.

There was a great article in TGO a year or two ago about how people obsess about numbers and weight specs and undervalue comfort and reliability. I think we are all generally guilty.
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

hamster wrote:
You cannot break the light, strong, cheap: pick two... wisdom.

Hamster may well be right, though my Seedhouse looks almost as flimsy as that, and isn't. It's almost disposable at that price, anyway.

If you prefer light, strong, and pricey, ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk do similar Big Agnes tents - though not apparently that one.
Jimstar79

Post by Jimstar79 »

You cannot break the light, strong, cheap: pick two... wisdom. The cloth looks terribly light and it appears to be a triumph of specmanship over utility.

I've used a Terra Nova Voyager for years, just replaced with another one. For light / fast / short trips I use a Jack Wolfskin Gossamer.

The latest Voyager is noticeably lighter-built than the old one, if a little bigger.
The Gossamer achieves its lightness by being tiny, but is built like a brick outhouse and is great for wild camping as it's tiny and shrugs off brambles. I shudder at having to live in it for a week, but it's OK for overnight shelter.

There was a great article in TGO a year or two ago about how people obsess about numbers and weight specs and undervalue comfort and reliability. I think we are all generally guilty.[/quote]

It's funny that you mention those two tents actually as they are also tents that I have been looking at quite closely - the Gossamer more for a walking tent that I could alsp take for short bike trips, whilst the Voyager does seem to tick a lot of boxes for long distance touring. In fact, I have found a Voyager (1.95kg) and a Voyager XL (2.4kg)for £266 and might just have to make either one mine! Which would you go for? Will I notice an extra 500g with the XL version?

Hmmm, I'm tempted to wrap this whole search up by buying one of these!
H. G. Wells quotes
Jimstar79

Post by Jimstar79 »

nirakaro wrote:
hamster wrote:
You cannot break the light, strong, cheap: pick two... wisdom.

Hamster may well be right, though my Seedhouse looks almost as flimsy as that, and isn't. It's almost disposable at that price, anyway.

If you prefer light, strong, and pricey, ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk do similar Big Agnes tents - though not apparently that one.

I think you're right, too. I like to go walking in the Lake District and after several hours walking the weight of the tent (2.3kg) and inflating matt (500g) on the back of the rucksack always begins to tell, especially after getting high into the fells. Even shaving off roughly 1kg in weight might make a slight difference! The Chinese Nature Hike tent claims to be 4 season! I can't see that, really. However, from the pictures it doesn't look too bad but I wonder if it would have stood up to some of the winds (40+ mph) I faced in northern Scotland this summer? Would that tent keep me warm on a cold January night in the Langdale's?

Thanks for the link, mate, I was just over at their site a while back.
H. G. Wells quotes
LSD

Post by LSD »

Jimstar79 wrote:I wonder if it would have stood up to some of the winds (40+ mph) I faced in northern Scotland this summer?

I was looking at that tent recently (my view is that, at that price, it's worth a punt) and found this video while looking for reviews https://youtu.be/Cay-yQaInc8
Barrenfluffit

Post by Barrenfluffit »

Some otherwise good designs include features that don't really do anything useful or worse inhibit the general usability of the tent. So its worth looking at these. A couple of years ago vango were making tents with alloy poles that just didn't seem to be strong enough.