Touring in Ireland

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bikergirl

Re: Touring in Ireland

Post by bikergirl »

I find the thought of getting my bike anywhere by plane a bit daunting. would love to haul it to the USA, but as you say, these things cost money, and it's hardly worth going all that way for a short tour I wouldn't think. I'll have to save the pennies and just bite the bullet one day I think.

Thanks for all your advice everyone, might see you all in Ireland next year.
Peter Molog

Post by Peter Molog »

Maybe this is interesting: http://www.cyclingeurope.nl/routes/ierland/

The site is in Dutch, the guide is in Dutch, the writer of this guide is Dutch.

But Googletranslate is your friend (At least most of it is more or less understandeble).
Maps are more or less international.
And there is a GPS-track available.
Peter

Please, excuse my English. I'm Dutch.
bikergirl

Post by bikergirl »

Thank you Peter, for the link. According to the website, the guide is now available in English, Looks really interesting.
Peter Molog

Post by Peter Molog »

Here is the English translation

Have fun.
Peter

Please, excuse my English. I'm Dutch.
bikergirl

Post by bikergirl »

Just bought one, thank you.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

I have a copy of that book, it was a Christmas present last year. It contains a wealth of useful information with very detailed mapping. I've toured quite extensively in Ireland and I might question his choice of route. Such things are very subjective, I know, and it's impossible to see all that Ireland has to offer on a single tour, but he does miss out some especially fine areas. The coastline of West Cork, the peninsulas in the south west, and the Antrim coast, in particular, are notable omissions. His stated aim, in the introduction, to avoid as many hills as possible, may explain his choice of route.

Having said that the book would serve as a useful starting point for planning your own route incorporating detours to visit some of the sites that others have suggested. I can also recommend the OS Ireland Road Atlas

Also OS 1:50k mapping is available from Mapyx
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Programme coming on Beeb2 22/11 i think they said, about Ireland.. might well be worth watching to see some of this wonderful country.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
stedlocks

Post by stedlocks »

I had to sort out a bit of my father's business last year, and thought I'd take in a bit of the country by bike.....why not? :D
I went via 'sail rail', which involves buying a one ticket does it all kind of affair....£42 one way. You can get a train from any station in the UK to Dublin.
The only dodgy bit was coming out of Dublin port (get the ferry to dun Laoghaire instead, different place), where the lorries thundering past can get a bit hairy....as soon as you are clear of the port though, it's all good.
I went down the east coast to Wicklow first, which was very picturesque and peaceful, before darting about to all the various relatives throughout the South east and other places I can't spell!
There are loads of quiet roads with breathtaking views to enjoy!
It's also amazing to queue up with the cars, before cycling up the big gangplank!
Generally I found the drivers to be much more cycle friendly than over here....and obviously, if you stop anywhere for a pint or pie, you won't be without interesting conversation for long!
I plan to do another short tour in the summer....
jags

Post by jags »

ah but then she will miss out on dublin as far as i know theres a cycle path most of the way from dublin port to city centre but not certain on that :roll:
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

I did a tour down the West Coast of Ireland and back a couple of years ago, starting at my Aunts house just outside of Galway. It was my first solo-tour and I wasn't quite in shape for it but - a few things I learned:

1. Ireland is beautiful, even in the rain. Very rugged landscape in places, but riding the Gap of Dunloe and Molls Gap in a misty rain was probably the highlight of the tour (sans breaking my sunglasses at the top of the Gap of Dunloe...wind blew them off of where I had placed them to take some pictures and I must have stepped on them).

2. The roads in Ireland, well, they're pretty rough in a lot of places. My Surly Disc Trucker as a spare-spoke holder, but I did not hear mine fall off due to the constant rumbling. You notice when you hit a freshly paved part of road due to the sudden silence/smoothness. Lots of large chipseal and potholes in places. I was expecting more of the same on my tour of Wales this year, but was pleasantly surprised how well the roads in Wales were (minus the near vertical pitch of the 25% gradients encountered). Nonetheless, not every road is that bad and the places I was riding were relatively traffic free!

3. Rain gear is a must. Acts as a windbreaker too.

I would recommend the Sheeps Head Peninsula - some great views from its end. I did not make it out along the Beara Way (the next Peninsula to the North of Sheeps Head) as that was the lowest point of my trip, but I did do the Ring of Kerry (the next one up) which was pleasant too.

Trains/Buses mean that if you need a day-off, its easy to keep on track.
wheel71

Post by wheel71 »

Re. the sheeps head.
When I first got here last year I thought it'd ba great idea to go all the way around the sheeps head peninsula. We were living with the mother in law in Durrus. I knew the south side but not the north. I thought it would be similar (ie. pretty level). It's not bad up as far as the "goats path", over to Kilcrohane but if like me you decide to go past there up the small lanes on the north side you'll find yourself on a mental hard bit of a ride. It's an experience but not for the faint hearted. And take a good map. :D

Mizen head.
The coast road from Barley cove up the north side of the Mizen head is lovely. You have a long gentle climb either way but it's not bad and well worth it. Most people seem to ride east-west but I think it's nicer coming back up.
mcallaghan

Post by mcallaghan »

I basically followed the main road along the North shore (did a counter-clockwise loop on the Sheeps Head) and had to choose between the goats path and one that seemed to follow the shore a little more before turning bag and zigzagging up the hill. I took the more direct Goats Path, which does as the Welsh do - goes straight up the steepest point. I remember being happy that since this was a day excursion for me, I left the panniers at the B&B I was staying at - otherwise I may have started to roll back down!
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

I did a ten day tour of Donegal. 500km of the Wild Atlantic Way. Quiet lanes, national cycle routes that take you across a strand and fabulous people.
The route I rode is on my site and can be downloaded as a GPX for your use. Some trip reports as well and lots of pics. Would give you a flavour of cycling in that part of Ireland. It was sunny most of the time.

http://www.farawayvisions.com/bikepacking/bikepacking-ireland-wild-atlantic-way/

The route is here
http://www.farawayvisions.com/bikepacking-route-wild-atlantic-way/

It doesn't really matter where you go I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip.
bikergirl

Post by bikergirl »

Sorry guys and gals, not looked at the post for a week. Lots more good info, thanks to all for tips and links. The book certainly looks good Norman H, and I note your point about the missed sections. I am actually spoilt for choice as to where to go now. I take it from what some of you have said, that it is easy enough to get public transport with bikes should we run out of time and need to get back quickly. I'm actually debating whether to get transport straight across to the West coast and then cycle back on a southern route, taking in the peninsulas, then across to Cork and back to Dublin or Dun Laoghaire. We intend doing more than one trip to Ireland, but I think I would like to cycle at least part of the Wild Atlantic Route on this first trip.

Haven't looked at your site yet Farawayvisions, but I will do, thank you.
BE1

Post by BE1 »

I have used the Tim Cooper cycling in Ireland book as a source of inspiration, and well planned routes, on numerous occasions

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cycle-Touring-I ... in+Ireland

There are also a great many local routes which can be found with a bit of googling

Enjoy the trip