Tyre recommendations

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mullinsm

Tyre recommendations

Post by mullinsm »

I'm going to be touring New Zealand next year and may well be venturing off-road on gravel tracks. I've currently got Marathon Supreme tyres fitted but have found these to be a bit delicate on rough surfaces, having damaged one badly on a canal towpath earlier this year.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a tough touring tyre in 700 x 35 that will take more punishment but still roll nicely on the road?
al_yrpal

Re: Tyre recommendations

Post by al_yrpal »

Schwalbe Land Cruisers. Did about 500 miles around the Outer Hebrides on and off road on them. There is a continuous centre bead and decent knobbles either side. I still fit them on my MTB in summer and tourer in winter.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Bigdummysteve

Post by Bigdummysteve »

Schwalbe allmotion tyres are great, I did about 300 miles on a loaded big dummy on gravel towpaths and hardpack off-road stuff. They are great on road and gave surprising good grip on loose stuff. Strangely you don't hear much about this tyre, I've found them much better all round than the big apples or kojacks. If you have the clearance for. 2" tyre they might be worth a try.

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/components-c9/tyres-c125/schwalbe-marathon-almotion-700c-tyre-p11044

They can be had MUCH cheaper by buying from Germany, I got mine front bike 24 at around half the UK price
garibeet

Post by garibeet »

I have a set fo Conti cyclocross speeds which are a good tyre for on/off road IME. Also have a look at the new "gravel" range of tyres by Clement, MSO and USH Explorers come in wired and folding, are very/pretty lightweight dependant on which you buy, and have been designed to work on mixed surfaces as you intend to ride. I also have a set of Marathon Mondials, in 50mm, and would not hesitate to recomend them, available in narrower sizes too.
mullinsm

Post by mullinsm »

garibeet wrote:I have a set fo Conti cyclocross speeds which are a good tyre for on/off road IME. Also have a look at the new "gravel" range of tyres by Clement, MSO and USH Explorers come in wired and folding, are very/pretty lightweight dependant on which you buy, and have been designed to work on mixed surfaces as you intend to ride. I also have a set of Marathon Mondials, in 50mm, and would not hesitate to recomend them, available in narrower sizes too.

Thanks for this, I'll give these a look.