Will this fit?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bainbridge

Will this fit?

Post by bainbridge »

Hi tourers

Just looking at front panniers and I was wondering if an Ortleib front roller pannier will be able to accommodate a Vango Ultralite 900 sleeping bag?

According to Wiggle the panniers are 30 x 25 x 14cm. Roughly measured the compressed my bag is 39 x 20 x 20cm.

I'm inclined to say no, but do you think one might take one if it were crammed in?

The bag weighs 1.5kg so on the other side I could have the sleeping mat and waterproofs, that's a 3kg payload on the front which isn't too bad (probably about 5kg including the bags) and this'll free up some much needed space in the rear.

I've never used front panniers before and fear that buying ones that don't say 'Front pannier' will be too big for my Tubus lowrider rack and scrape the ground.

Thanks
22camels

Re: Will this fit?

Post by 22camels »

My guess would be yes - I have that pannier but not that sleeping bag. But if it doesn't you can always return it to Wiggle as long as you keep the packaging intact. Ortliebs usually allow for extra stuff to be squeezed in (though you have to make sure you can roll the tops 2-3 times to keep water out). They are not rigid boxes, the volume is fixed but the dimensions can change a bit to accommodate the stuff inside. Neither is your bag. How much further can it compress? According to your measurements it takes up 15 litres but on the go outdoors website it says the compressed size is 23cm long by 17cm diameter = 5.2 litres! The pannier is supposed to be 12.5 L though if you multiply the given dimensions you get only 10.5L.

I am pretty sure I've heard of people using full size panniers on Tubus lowrider racks though I prefer to keep the volume down as it means I won't be tempted to take as much.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I put sleeping bags in Front Rollers with lots of room for other stuff.
RobinS

Post by RobinS »

If your sleeping bag will not fit in an Ortlieb front pannier it is far too bulky! I can fit my Vango Venom sleeping bag, Thermarest Evolite mat, and an OEX self inflating pillow in one front pannier, and still have a bit space to spare!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

RobinS wrote:If your sleeping bag will not fit in an Ortlieb front pannier it is far too bulky!

I would certainly be looking at a different bag if it took up that volume! Even quite cheap bags will package to less than 10 litres, pay a bit more and i've got a Sea to Summit Spark SP1 that weighs 350grams and compresses to 1.5litres! In fact its small enough that i could get sleeping bag, sleep mat and tent in a single Ortlieb front roller bag but it would weigh @ 4kg! (one bag weighs @ 800grams, 1560g is for a pair).
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Send them back and get some decent panniers. :D
Super C front are bigger all round by almost an inch on each dimension.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
horizon

Post by horizon »

We touched on various aspects of this in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=85708

The OP mentions 36L front panniers (or at least used on the front) which at 18L each should easily accommodate a sleeping bag.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

22camels wrote:My guess would be yes - I have that pannier but not that sleeping bag. But if it doesn't you can always return it to Wiggle as long as you keep the packaging intact. Ortliebs usually allow for extra stuff to be squeezed in (though you have to make sure you can roll the tops 2-3 times to keep water out). They are not rigid boxes, the volume is fixed but the dimensions can change a bit to accommodate the stuff inside. Neither is your bag. How much further can it compress? According to your measurements it takes up 15 litres but on the go outdoors website it says the compressed size is 23cm long by 17cm diameter = 5.2 litres! The pannier is supposed to be 12.5 L though if you multiply the given dimensions you get only 10.5L.

I am pretty sure I've heard of people using full size panniers on Tubus lowrider racks though I prefer to keep the volume down as it means I won't be tempted to take as much.

Thanks for your response. The go outdoors (where the bag was purchased incidentally) site dimensions are a bit optimistic, it's definitely larger than that and even when compressed like a dinosaur it's still about 35cm long and becomes a solid lump.

Stood beside a 5 litre mineral water bottle it's about 35 - 40% larger, so about 10 litres will comfortably accommodate it. With the pannier being 12 litres I guess the way forward is to stuff it in there in an uncompressed state so it fills the bag and doesn't deform it too much.

Thanks again.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

bainbridge wrote:Hi tourers

Just looking at front panniers and I was wondering if an Ortleib front roller pannier will be able to accommodate a Vango Ultralite 900 sleeping bag?

According to Wiggle the panniers are 30 x 25 x 14cm. Roughly measured the compressed my bag is 39 x 20 x 20cm.

I'm inclined to say no, but do you think one might take one if it were crammed in?

The bag weighs 1.5kg so on the other side I could have the sleeping mat and waterproofs, that's a 3kg payload on the front which isn't too bad (probably about 5kg including the bags) and this'll free up some much needed space in the rear.

I've never used front panniers before and fear that buying ones that don't say 'Front pannier' will be too big for my Tubus lowrider rack and scrape the ground.

Thanks

I'm probably too late, but I've got the Ortlieb front panniers and the Vango UL 900 (from GoOutdoors) I have mine in the back pannier though as that's just my system. It will go up front but you'll have to stuff the bag in alone without the compression sack.

If you need me to physically trial it, please let me know...b
robing

Post by robing »

I've got city front rollers and all my camping stuff fits. Robens Caucasus 300 sleeping bag, self inflating mat, Vango pillow, silk liner plus loads of other stuff.
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

Heltor Chasca wrote:
bainbridge wrote:Hi tourers

Thanks

I'm probably too late, but I've got the Ortlieb front panniers and the Vango UL 900 (from GoOutdoors) I have mine in the back pannier though as that's just my system. It will go up front but you'll have to stuff the bag in alone without the compression sack.

If you need me to physically trial it, please let me know...b

Thanks for the offer Heltor, that's a beautifully simple idea of just putting the bag in loose which will also save me having to stuff it in the stuff sack :-)

Think I'm going to get some.

Cheers