Route planning app?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
nirakaro

Route planning app?

Post by nirakaro »

I use BikeHike if I'm planning a route at home, and I'd like to have a similar resource for my Android tablet when I'm away. The particular features I like and would be looking for would include -

Being able to plan a route from somewhere other than here
Building a route bit by bit rather than just a start point and a destination
Drag editing
Height profile

I've tried CycleStreets, CycleMap, Osmand, GoogleMaps, and one or two others, without getting anywhere near. Is there anything that good out there? Yet?
wirral_cyclist

Re: Route planning app?

Post by wirral_cyclist »

cycle.travel is superb on PC and works OK on my hudl.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

nirakaro wrote:I use BikeHike if I'm planning a route at home, and I'd like to have a similar resource for my Android tablet when I'm away. The particular features I like and would be looking for would include -

Being able to plan a route from somewhere other than here
Building a route bit by bit rather than just a start point and a destination
Drag editing
Height profile

I've tried CycleStreets, CycleMap, Osmand, GoogleMaps, and one or two others, without getting anywhere near. Is there anything that good out there? Yet?

Why not use bike hike then. If it works in a browser on your PC it will work in a browser on your tablet.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Bernard

Post by Bernard »

Geoportail is a good advice, you have also, http://www.openrunner.com/
Then choose IGN maps, draws your tour and then it gives you the total height of your tour.
In cyclo veritas
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I like cycle.travel a lot, beats the rest by a mile. You can drag the route to easily alter it to suit yourself after its decided the most traffic free route. It gives you a height profile, nearby accomodation, pdfs you can print out, turn by turn instructions and .gpx files. Its way ahead. Use it on my laptop, Hudl and Android phone. I plug the .gpx into Osmand on my Moto E Android phone which then gives screen and voice navigation for 6 hours without a battery top up.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

I use Ridewith GPS http://ridewithgps.com/
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

On route planning I have some routes already generated but what does everyone download the Gpx Files it produces too. I have an iPhone and iPad that aren't interested in Gpx or is it GPs downloads. The laptop can see them and download them to save but can't open them.

How do I get the route from saved on my lap top to open in something like my iPhone on a suitable app (and which apps do you use?).
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I put GPs files into my Dropbox then on iPhone. you can then choose open with your app. In my case I use mapout
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

MrsHJ wrote:.....How do I get the route from saved on my lap top to open in something like my iPhone on a suitable app (and which apps do you use?).

I'm not an iPad/iPhone user so I can't help you on specifics, but in general terms you could email the gpx file on your laptop to yourself and then download it from your iPhone email app couldn't you?

Is Bluetooth file transfer possible between the iPad/iPhone?
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

MrsHJ wrote:On route planning I have some routes already generated but what does everyone download the Gpx Files it produces too. I have an iPhone and iPad that aren't interested in Gpx or is it GPs downloads. The laptop can see them and download them to save but can't open them.

How do I get the route from saved on my lap top to open in something like my iPhone on a suitable app (and which apps do you use?).

On your laptop depends what applications you have installed that will open .gpx files. On my Mac I tend to use GoogleEarth (hate it but can't find anything better yet). I would assume GoogleEarth on windows would have similar functionality.

As to getting it onto your iPhone, it depends on what app you use as different apps support different methods (normally several different methods). On my iPhone I use MapOut http://mapoutapp.com/en/ (payed for but pretty cheap). And it is excellent. You download OpenStreet Map mapping for offline use (and it uses vector mapping so has massive resolution and much lower storage that the other tile based apps). It includes cycle paths layers and is very good at showing altitude plots. To get your .gpx laptop to iPhone using MapOut on iPhone, easiest way is to free register with MapOut choosing a name and then you e-mail your .gpx to <chosen_name>@mapout.me and it will appear on your iPhone in the mapping app (showing as a route line over the map). Or you can send the .gpx using AirDrop or DropBox or iCloud Drive, etc. (though not OneDrive - Microsoft!).

Ian