Good fix for a little tiny hole in 'waterproof' fabric?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
pete75

Re: Good fix for a little tiny hole in 'waterproof' fabric?

Post by pete75 »

simonineaston wrote:At 2mm, my only concern would be to take steps to make sure the tear didn't get any bigger. Cyanoacrylate has been used for this purpose.
I quote:
Stopping Runs / Pulls in Sweaters
(super-glue) is a great accessory to stash in case your nylon garments run or your sweater catches. By dabbing a bit of super-glue on the start of the run or pull, the super-glue seals the nylon fibres and they no longer continue to run... The same is true for a frayed or unraveling edge on a sweater. By dabbing a bit of super-glue on the fibres, they will be held in place, preventing further damage.

This advice comes with the usual health warnings - don't blame me if it all goes belly-up... or else you stick you fingers together, or worse, your fingers to your Paramo! ;-)

Just don't try this with anything made of cotton....
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
beardy

Post by beardy »

I didnt have a clue what you meant by this, so I googled it.

What Fun! :D :mrgreen:
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Just to be specific about the cotton / super-glue thing:
Reaction with cotton
Applying cyanoacrylate to some natural materials such as cotton, leather or wool (cotton swabs, cotton balls, and certain yarns or fabrics) results in a powerful, rapid exothermic reaction. The heat released may cause serious burns,[20] ignite the cotton product, or release irritating white smoke. Material Safety Data Sheets for cyanoacrylate instruct users not to wear cotton or wool clothing, especially cotton gloves, when applying or handling cyanoacrylates.
from Wikipedia
You'll be OK on a Paramo garment - no cotton there!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
hufty

Post by hufty »

NUKe wrote:...a small square of Duck or Gorilla tape would probably do the trick...

Not needed for this job as mentioned in many posts above, but for future fabric repairs can I recommend ripstop nylon tape aka Spinnaker Tape
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
Flite

Post by Flite »

Love my Paramo jacket and trousers (used for walking, gardening etc, rather than cycling).
As already said, just sew up a small hole.
I managed to completely jam a pocket zip in the trousers. Returned to Paramo who put in a new zip, and did another small repair to the leg which I hadn't actually noticed, for their minimum charge of about £30. Included washing and reproofing - came back like new. Well pleased.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

meic wrote:Mine is still new enough that water bounces off it, I thought that if it started wetting out extensively (mine does a bit around the wrists) it was time for a wash.

If it's wetting out "extensively" then it's quite possibly time for a re-proof. Washing (as long as it's in pure soap, Dripak Liquid Soap Flakes much the same as TechWash only a fraction of the price) generally good too. Cool iron or tumble dry afterwards tends to jizz up the water repellency.
If you re-proof, the new DWR "grabs" the original one, so don't wait until it's completely hopeless.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
loch eck steve

Post by loch eck steve »

got a tiny hole in my waterproof jacket a while back ( and my tent ) I used a patch from a puncture repair kit on both , seems to have done the trick and is certainly waterproof !
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

NUKe wrote:Your right you wont get much water through a hole of that size, but what you will need to stop is the hole enlarging. Depends on how neat you want. But a small square of Duck or Gorilla tape would probably do the trick. You could find a nice badge and glue it over for a neater solution

Yes, i fixed a tear in a pertex top with duct tape on the inside. It was fine, even after several washes. Truly amazing stuff.
Sweep
Bigdummysteve

Post by Bigdummysteve »

Apologies for the thread hijacking but how you rate your paramo? I've just brought a pasco and I've never seen any kit with such different user opinions. To me it seems very well made, I've not actually worn it in anger yet so I'm curious.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Bigdummysteve wrote:Apologies for the thread hijacking but how you rate your paramo? I've just brought a pasco and I've never seen any kit with such different user opinions. To me it seems very well made, I've not actually worn it in anger yet so I'm curious.

I'm very happy with mine. It does the job really well.

I see a few negative comments about Paramo at the start of this thread (if I am reading them correctly and they are not some complex tongue in cheek comments that are unfathomable without the subtle nuances of actually looking at the person who is speaking...?) But not sure why based on my experiences.

The only thing I would say is, they seem very expensive from new, but if you can find second hand items then I felt it was reasonable enough. Also, I do truly believe that the price of a quality of an Aldi special buy can't really be the expected price for all items we buy.

So in short, I don't expect top quality at bargain prices. Paramo seems like it will last for ages.
Flite

Post by Flite »

Paramo stuff lasts for decades.
My OH was shocked at the price I paid about 20 years ago, but my paramo kit is still going strong and he has spent far more on a succession of less expensive (but not "cheap") jackets and overtrousers that cannot take the wear.