200km the aftermath and advice wanted

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
dakari-mane

Re: 200km the aftermath and advice wanted

Post by dakari-mane »

pwa wrote:Part of the solution is to get off and have a stroll every so often.

I definitely find that stopping for a brew now & then really helps.
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

tatanab wrote:
samsbike wrote:It was the longest I have been on a bike in one sitting, approximately 5 and 4.5hrs.
131 miles in 5.75 hours, that's 24mph, a good racing effort. Several mph faster than I ever managed at that sort of distance back in the 70s. Even when racing I would spend a fair time on the tops and hoods. It was some years later that I had a spell of neck pain, and I can certainly recall hunched shoulders as mentioned above. This was always brought on by riding harder and longer than I was accustomed to at that time.

No,no sorry it was roughly 9.5hrs for the whole lot. Average around 14mph and rolling landscape which actually meant going up and down a lot!

The neck thing is an issue as its a bit sore now, other than having a big head lol. I may try this again but only when its warmer, as my feet froze as it was around 2.5c in the morning.

However, the whole thing was fun in retrospect, there were times towards the end where I wished I had an engine especially when it was getting dark etc.

A big up for Reohn2 flapjack recipe worked a treat but should have taken a lot more!
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

HarryD wrote:1. Happens to us all. If the saddle is the right fit then as you do more long rides you will adapt and the soreness should lessen. Alternatively try Vaseline or chamois cream on the 'sore' spots before you set off

HarryD

Some people refer to saddle sore(ness) which basically means an aching rear end Vaseline or Chamois cream will have no effect on this what so ever. Although the motion of rubbing it in may help. Saddle sores are a different mater. These are liaison to the skin and if not treated properly may become infected. if you suffer from these then an application of Vaseline or chamois cream may help. but in this case if you Know you are prone them prevention is better than cure and it should be added to the area before riding.
NUKe

Post by bainbridge »

Well done!

Were you pedalling while standing at regular intervals? I've found if I sit for too long without standing every so often I get a sore bum on a long ride.

Regarding your neck I found that dumbell exercises helped eliminate my neck ache. Just did the exercises listed on the enclosed poster which came with the weights, started with very little weight and built up slowly to about 5ķģ per dumbell, 20 reps of each exercise.

I've no idea why this helped because I wasn't doing neck exercises!
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

bainbridge wrote:I've no idea why this helped because I wasn't doing neck exercises!

Trapezius and Deltoid muscles tend to be the best developed muscles in the upper body. If you have done work to strengthen and tone other upper body muscles, it takes some of the load off the trapezius and deltoid muscles. Also, trapezius muscles tend to be a place where we tense up when tired or stressed, and this often leads to headaches. Improving posture will reduce the tension in the trapezius muscles. Good tone in the muscles of the upper middle back supports good posture.

In general, doing yoga or pilates, stretching regularly, and exercising other upper body muscles will help to prevent sore shoulder muscles and headaches.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

I did stand up in the beginning but not after lunch. I need to get back into yoga and do some upper body exercises. It was more my sit bones that were hurting.

Not sure what the whole neck thing is as I get it when I commute as well - after about 1.5hours.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

A nice achievement, I couldn't do it.

BUT.........this is a touring forum, so can you do it again tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow!
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

simonhill wrote:so can you do it again tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow!

Why would anyone want to? thats not touring thats masochism!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
glasgowjim

Post by glasgowjim »

yes it is :)
ossie

Post by ossie »

simonhill wrote:

BUT.........this is a touring forum, so can you do it again tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow!

fully loaded with 4 panniers and a tent :wink:
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

I know this is a touring section; but since I can't get away as often as is like, I cycle 116 miles from Inverness to my home in Aberdeen.
I take the bus upmon a Sunday afternoon.
No charge for me or the bike for us oldies.
£14 Youth Hostel.
Up at 5.15 am
Away by 5.55 am
Through Tomintoul, highest village in Highlands.
Over the Letch ski resort and home by 6 pm.

Quite a mini adventure.
No saddle sores. Leather Brooks saddle and ' commando'.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

Hopefully not wearing a kilt?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
9.5 hrs start to finish is impressive, well done.

How did your eating go :?:
Were you hungry.
Did you eat at all on the bike :?:
Pains will disappear as you get fitter.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
LWaB

Post by LWaB »

There is a little confusion here. About 9.5 hours moving but somewhat longer start to finish. The Blue Egg lunch stop was about an hour.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

rfryer wrote:Hopefully not wearing a kilt?

Only at the weekends
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.