waterproof (over) trousers

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
malverncyclist

waterproof (over) trousers

Post by malverncyclist »

HI everyone, I assume this may have been covered elsewhere but I gave up after trawling the multitude of posts ... I need some waterproof trousers (overtrousers?) mostly for commuting but also for longer rides. There are obviously TONS out there and not all are covered with reviews. I've come across these here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Showers-Pass-St ... owers+pass and there are obviously other Showers Pass trousers at a far higher price (but they are not overtrousers). Any ideas/suggestions?

thanks

Martin
Richard Fairhurst

Re: waterproof (over) trousers

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

I have those exact overtrousers (bought them in Portland a few years back before SP were common in the UK!) and am very happy with them. I wouldn't wear them if I was expecting a day of solid rain, but as something to go in the panniers in case of rain they're ideal.
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
nomm

Post by nomm »

Bought some Tenn Outdoors 5k waterproof cycling trousers £27

They haven't let me down yet, cut very well for riding. Wear them both as over trousers/trousers.
hamster

Post by hamster »

Bought Sprayway Gore Paclite ones 10 years ago, thoroughly recommended as they have long side zips which allow them to be donned in a hurry and removed easily. If it's drizzling then riding without is generally better as the accumulated dampness is no worse than condensation.
RickH

Post by RickH »

I don't often wear waterproof trousres on the bike but I got some of these Marmot overtrousers with full side zips (i.e. they undo completely at the sides like a jacket). I got them primarily for walking but they are quite a slim fit & work OK on the bike. Only the biggest couple of sizes still available for £30 on the link but they are available in a wider range of sizes elsewhere (but for prices around £70-75 :( )

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
nmnm

Post by nmnm »

Short commute? Rainlegs (like modern chaps) are much easier to put on and keep thighs warm and dry. I hardly ever use my gore tex overtrousers anymore.
soton

Post by soton »

Froggstogs' DriDucks. Probably the lightest there are; US$22. And you get the jacket as well for that. Very comfortable and waterproof. Easy to tear - wear with care. No pocket or pants access except through the waist.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Ex-RAF waterproof trousers from eBay - just check the sizing. I paid £18 for mine, and have a second set cut down as 3/4 length shorts.

They're not advertised as (because service gear can't be branded as such) but they are Goretex.
martin113

Post by martin113 »

Rainlegs every time. Keep you cool and well ventilated and warm and dry where it's needed. I find it impossible to ride in over trousers.
syklist

Post by syklist »

martin113 wrote:Rainlegs every time. Keep you cool and well ventilated and warm and dry where it's needed. I find it impossible to ride in over trousers.

+1 They also help keep your legs and feet warm despite only covering the upper part of your thighs. You don't need to take your shoes off to get them on or off which is important if you, like me, have large feet for your given body size. The zips at the bottom of the full waterproof I have tried on in the past never went up far enough for me to be able to get my feet through with shoes on.
So long and thanks for all the fish...
millimole

Post by millimole »

I wore my Rainlegs yesterday for the first time in oooooo ages - and you're right they do make your lower legs feel a lot warmer. I just feel a bit weird playing with all those straps and buckles in a public place!
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

millimole wrote:I wore my Rainlegs yesterday for the first time in oooooo ages - and you're right they do make your lower legs feel a lot warmer. I just feel a bit weird playing with all those straps and buckles in a public place!

My interest in Rainlegs has peaked. Normally I just wear waterproof work trousers. Not ideal. Too hot. Too flappy. Footwear/zip problems.

I like the idea of Rainlegs but all those straps look cumbersome and as though you can end up snarled onto your saddle. I like simple.

What do you think millimole?
freiston

Post by freiston »

I use Eager Spats when it's wet and a pair of cheapish Peter Storm waterproof trousers with very generous zipped flairs for getting over boots/shoes - a doddle with the Eager Spats on.

I am now wondering as to the effectiveness of using Rainlegs with the Eager Spats - has anyone any experience of this?
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
millimole

Post by millimole »

I've never been snarled up, and, yes, initially the straps are cumbersome and confusing, but once you've put them on a couple of times (and dealt with the weirdness of them) they work extremely well.
I run very hot normally, and just can't ride in waterproof trousers (not at a price I'm prepared to risk) and the Rainlegs work for me.
I wouldn't want to try them over shorts!
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

millimole wrote:I've never been snarled up, and, yes, initially the straps are cumbersome and confusing, but once you've put them on a couple of times (and dealt with the weirdness of them) they work extremely well.
I run very hot normally, and just can't ride in waterproof trousers (not at a price I'm prepared to risk) and the Rainlegs work for me.
I wouldn't want to try them over shorts!

Thanks for this. Why not shorts? Do they just look weird or would they chafe?...b