Bikes on train Lancaster/Carlisle - Kirkby-In-Furness

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

Information required
Note the train journey I am taking below, I am able to book a place for a non folding bike but not on the last leg, .
On the northern website it states there are only 2 bike places and they can’t be booked .
Question what is the situation on the ground will I have any trouble getting on these trains?
Journey 1: LONDON EUSTON to KIRKBY-IN-FURNESS

Travel on Friday 23 October 2015
Departs Arrives By
12:30 - London Euston 14:54 - Lancaster TRAIN (Virgin Trains)
15:33 - Lancaster 16:57 - Kirkby-In-Furness TRAIN (Northern Rail)

Journey 2: KIRKBY-IN-FURNESS to LONDON EUSTON

Travel on Tuesday 27 October 2015
Departs Arrives By
11:56 - Kirkby-In-Furness 14:28 - Carlisle TRAIN (Northern Rail)
14:49 - Carlisle 18:10 - London Euston TRAIN (Virgin Trains)
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I would imagine you'd have no trouble at all. It's Cumbria in late October. 3:30 on the Friday should see you on before any commuters later on.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
RickH

Re: Bikes on train Lancaster/Carlisle - Kirkby-In-Furness

Post by RickH »

Paulatic wrote:I would imagine you'd have no trouble at all. It's Cumbria in late October. 3:30 on the Friday should see you on before any commuters later on.

I've never known Northern Rail train staff to be at all bothered (apart from one time trying to get a tandem on busy service out of Liverpool that was particularly crowded due to the previous train being cancelled & the guy's concern was more about me being physically able to get it on past the people - which I did without any bother) - I've travelled on their trains with 6-10 bikes in the nominal 2 spaces on several occasions.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
pal

Re: Bikes on train Lancaster/Carlisle - Kirkby-In-Furness

Post by pal »

Yes: I'd be astonished if there were a problem with Northern. If there's physical space on the train, then they let you on (in my experience), no matter how many bikes are on the train in total. Their rolling stock is very mixed, so it's hard to predict the exact make-up of the train, but generally there's 'official' space for about 4 bikes; but it's possible to squeeze bikes in other places too (like RickH, I've been on Northern trains with about 10 bikes on). The platform staff at Lancaster are generally very helpful/bike-friendly too.