Old A30

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Old A30

Post by Mick F »

Yes, great idea! :D

The Old A30 between west of Okehampton and east of Launceston down at this end, isn't even a B road.
Old A30.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
drossall

Post by drossall »

You can always look up roads, including former routes, on SABRE :D
Jon Lucas

Post by Jon Lucas »

JamesE wrote:
Jon Lucas wrote:I've had it in the back of my head to write a short book on these, so any other recommendations would be much appreciated. I may start a separate thread, but in the On the Road section.

Please do! I would never have heard of the Old A30 or Old A1 if not for this forum, and it seems like the kind of knowledge that’s hard to stumble on if you don’t already know it exists.

Have started the thread in the On the Road section.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

Jon Lucas wrote:As Mick and others have said, some of the best cycling in the country is on old trunk roads that have been by-passed by motorways or 'improved' roads that run parallel. I've had it in the back of my head to write a short book on these, so any other recommendations would be much appreciated. I may start a separate thread, but in the On the Road section.
There's a similar phenomenon in the US. For some reason, I've no idea what, these roads are referred to as 'frontage' roads, they often run parallel to the freeway and sometimes you get to see the traffic in the distance and hear the distant rumble that is the roaring din on the freeway itself while you have a traffic free two-lane all to yourself. But mind you don't run into a cow or deer.
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West