National Cycle Route 7.

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
MiniMalts

National Cycle Route 7.

Post by MiniMalts »

Hello. :D

I've read of couple of threads on here regarding NCR 7 and noticed they are quite old.

Has anyone cycled any of this route recently that give some general advice or what to watch out for.

Any rivers/fords to cross?

Ideally I'd like to do going from north to south but are the hills steeper, are the headwinds worse going that way etc?
khain

Re: National Cycle Route 7.

Post by khain »

The headwinds will probably be worse north to south. I would go the other way for that reason. Possibly less hilly south to north too - the climb out of Inverness is a bit of a pain. I cycled some parts recently and don't remember any major difficulties but I'm sure there will be a few. The Drumochter pass section along the A9 was in decent condition but getting into winter it may become impassible. Even in October there might be snow and ice.
MiniMalts

Post by MiniMalts »

khain wrote:The headwinds will probably be worse north to south. I would go the other way for that reason. Possibly less hilly south to north too - the climb out of Inverness is a bit of a pain. I cycled some parts recently and don't remember any major difficulties but I'm sure there will be a few. The Drumochter pass section along the A9 was in decent condition but getting into winter it may become impassible. Even in October there might be snow and ice.

My reasoning for going from north to south is to then head across to Edinburgh then on to NCR 1? to head down to visit family in Yorkshire. I was also thinking of Spring time.

Has anyone done any of the route from Glasgow going south?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

From Glasgow it's a long way round to get to Gretna [emoji3]
There are some bits out on the West I've been on we're a bit rough and the usual unnecessary detour.

Coming home from the Birthday Rides this year I followed it from Penrith to Carlisle for the first time. Took me down some lovely lanes I've never used before and only added a few miles to my normal route.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
khain

Post by khain »

MiniMalts wrote:
khain wrote:The headwinds will probably be worse north to south. I would go the other way for that reason. Possibly less hilly south to north too - the climb out of Inverness is a bit of a pain. I cycled some parts recently and don't remember any major difficulties but I'm sure there will be a few. The Drumochter pass section along the A9 was in decent condition but getting into winter it may become impassible. Even in October there might be snow and ice.

My reasoning for going from north to south is to then head across to Edinburgh then on to NCR 1? to head down to visit family in Yorkshire. I was also thinking of Spring time.

Has anyone done any of the route from Glasgow going south?

Prevailing winds in Scotland are from the south-west and Scotland is a windy place at any time of year. You may get lucky though, or not. There could be snow and ice on the Drumochter pass in spring but probably not.

I wouldn't worry too much about taking NCR routes. They're fairly dreadful usually. I often go out of my way to avoid them.
MiniMalts

Post by MiniMalts »

Great, I'll leave it until late Spring then.

I'm not too fond of wild camping. Does anyone have any recommendations on cheap B&B's?
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Looking at climate data for Scotland, April/May/June seem to be the driest months. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/regional-climates/ws. Last June I did most of NCN7 from Ardrossan to Newton Stewart; the first part was somewhat industrial (although they have found a nice enough way through); the second (hilly) part was fabulous, lovely empty roads. I stayed in the YH at Newton Stewart.
Chris F, Cornwall
granville2

Post by granville2 »

I did a JOGLE via a round about route in August 2013 nearly all on NCN routes. I followed NCN 7 from Inverness to Pitlochery, then NCN 77 and 775 almost due south until I crossed the Forth road bridge. After Edinburgh I stuck to the east coast following NCN 76 to Berwick then NCN 1 to Middlesbrough. I was on a heavy bike with kit for all eventualities, weighing nearly 30 kg. Overall the route was very good and I would do it again if I was travelling that way.

It did start of with some hard climbing near Inverness, getting over the passes alongside the A9 was fine. I only hill I did not cycle up was at Pease Bay south of Torness where I could not get going after letting a car pass. The NCN 1 for about 5 miles south of Berwick is definitely one of the worse section especially considering is supposed to be a national route, for a distance it is little more than a two tractor tracks across a field that petter out into a single muddy groove. This section was closed recently according to some friends cycling south.

Sunderland had loads of the narrow gaps, at the start and end of urban sections, some of which involved a complete unloading to get the bike through. I would avoid Stockton and Middlesbrough if I was doing it again, I went through some real derelict industrial areas in Stockton, I thought I had lost the route but I had not.

All the river crossings were by bridge, the wind were OK when I did this section but I had a horrible day a bit further north, between Durness and Lairg, both wet and windy. There were enough campsites to do 50 mile a day sections, Berwick was the only place I did not camp as the camp-site only had pods available. Even thought it was August I found it quite cold at night, I only had a 2 season sleeping bag and ended up wearing extra cloths at night to keep warm.
MiniMalts

Post by MiniMalts »

Thanks guys. :)