Crossing the Alps in Autumn?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
welfy09

Crossing the Alps in Autumn?

Post by welfy09 »

Hi, has anyone got any recommendations or experiences of crossing the Alps at this time of year? We are currently close to Strasbourg and are heading for the Croatian coast. We are up for a challenge but not willing to risk our safety.... It is hard to find any information on the Internet from people who have tried any cycling routes in October. Brenner seems low-ish but is there still risk of snow? Is it just pot luck?!

Any help gratefully appreciated!
hamster

Re: Crossing the Alps in Autumn?

Post by hamster »

You can get snow and sub-zero conditions on alpine cols even in July - look at some coverage for the Tour de France.

Keep a close eye on the weather forecasts and be prepared to be flexible!
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

I've been told that it's very rare for the Brenner to be closed even in the depth of winter: I imagine it would be fine through the autumn.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Whether it's pleasant cycling or not is another question.
Last traffic cam pic.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (60.61 KiB) Viewed 774 times
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

PDQ Mobile wrote:Whether it's pleasant cycling or not is another question.
Last traffic cam pic.

On a bike you'll be on the old road which may well be more pleasant than the autobahn as its more sheltered.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

There's always a bit of pot luck with the weather in mountains. But the Brenner is only 1370m; currently all the alpine passes in France - further west, where I suspect they get more snow - are open (except the Galibier), including the Agnel at 2740m, so I think you can be fairly relaxed about it.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

What I would worry about the most is ice or slippery conditions on the upper descent.
However, even if conditions are poor at the top, it's probably not a huge distance to walk down far enough to ride again, so, I'd probably chance it, but with a bail-out plan, like a phone number for a taxi, and plenty of warm clothes, in case I had to wait outside for the taxi.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mnichols

Post by mnichols »

There is a cycle path at the top of the Brenner Pass which goes south, branches out in a few directions, but I used it all the way to Garda a few years ago in September - weather was great. My memories of the Brenner Pass is that it was barely a hill let alone a mountain

I travelled the Alps, Pyrennes and Dolomites in early September and seen snow on the mountain roads, but it tended to be above 7,000 or 8,000 feet. Also seen roads closed to snow in the Alps in mid September, but you may be lucky - the weather forecast should tell you all you need to know.