Bikes on Megabus Europe

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
foxyrider

Re: Bikes on Megabus Europe

Post by foxyrider »

tyreon wrote:Very pleased your trip went well. Nice to hear it. Now,how have you returned? Or,are planning to return? Can you just turn up at the bus depot(with bike)and say,I want to go home,price please? Why I ask is that I find I am 'happy' to get out by air(cheap price,can pack my bike at home,catch taxi to airport)the return trip is more complex ie I never know when I wish to return home(weather,terrain,ability)and am inept or wary about booking stuff on a 'tablet computer'(would rather turn up at bus/airport/train terminal) Of course,taking 'the next' plane/train/bus mode of transport means price increases.

You have to book Megabus on line, the drivers aren't allowed to take payment and the 'offices' are just to herd you on board!
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

My failure is to trust booking on line on a 'tablet'. I/we feel okay about booking online because we have an antivirus thingamebob here at home,but feel exposed when putting credit/debit card details whilst travelling abroad with a tablet computer. Is my 'fear' OTT? And,should I book abroad from my tablet,how do you get a paper authentication/ticket from a paperless machine? Apologies for my reticence. Our reticence has impeded our travel choices when thinking of returning home.
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

I book a lot on my tablet, at home and abroad.

I feel safer using it than a public computer where there can be software to copy keystrokes, etc.

Many tickets come as email or PDF, so you just show your tablet. If you need to print go to public internet place eg library or hotel.

As long as you don't misuse your card, you are not liable for anyone who gets hold of the details and uses it.
b1ke

Post by b1ke »

foxyrider wrote:how did you pack the bike?

I'm carrying a reasonably lightweight bike bag. Not ideal but it means I can use Megabus on the way back as well.

In response to the post asking if I'm back, the answer is no. I'm catching the ferry to Tangier Med in a couple of days and will spend a couple of months touring/lazing about in Morocco. Then I'll head back very slowly, hopefully just in time for the Spring flowers :-)

I'm about 70 miles north of Barcelona at the moment on the French coast in Banyuls-sur-Mer, spending an extra night on a campsite with the best showers in the world for 7 euros a night. It seemed rude not to stick around.
http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....
mjr

Post by mjr »

tyreon wrote:My failure is to trust booking on line on a 'tablet'. I/we feel okay about booking online because we have an antivirus thingamebob here at home,but feel exposed when putting credit/debit card details whilst travelling abroad with a tablet computer. Is my 'fear' OTT?

Yes, completely OTT. As long as you check the site security details (click the padlock) match who you think you're trading with, it's probably as safe as most shops. Even so, I'm very very cautious about using a debit card linked to any account with substantial sums of money available - online or in shops. Credit cards are a bit safer as you get to read the bill and query anything before you pay them off.

You should check your credit card bills each time anyway, even if you never use your card online. I've had various small fraud attempts over the 20 or so years of using payment cards and the bank's never expected me to pay for any of them yet. My worst fraud attempt came after I paid by card in a tool hire shop - and I'm fairly certain it was connected to there because I hadn't used that card much around that time (I was working on the house, not spending much money) and the speed/diversity of extra charges was quite impressive. The bank called me after someone tried to buy flight tickets in somewhere like Saudi Arabia... :lol:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

b1ke wrote:
foxyrider wrote:how did you pack the bike?

I'm carrying a reasonably lightweight bike bag. Not ideal but it means I can use Megabus on the way back as well.

In response to the post asking if I'm back, the answer is no. I'm catching the ferry to Tangier Med in a couple of days and will spend a couple of months touring/lazing about in Morocco. Then I'll head back very slowly, hopefully just in time for the Spring flowers :-)

I'm about 70 miles north of Barcelona at the moment on the French coast in Banyuls-sur-Mer, spending an extra night on a campsite with the best showers in the world for 7 euros a night. It seemed rude not to stick around.

Sounds like my kind of 2 months.
I haven't been in Morocco for 40 years.
May I ask your estimated daily budget?
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
tyreon

Post by tyreon »

Thanks simonhill,mjr and others. You know what,next time I'm gonna try it. On techno wizadry am always behind the curve. Ta :)
b1ke

Post by b1ke »

Regarding the question on budget, I like to aim for around £10 per day. Not always possible, but with some wild camping and using campsites most of the rest of the time, it shouldn't be far off.

There are currently just short of 15 dirham to the pound which helps.
http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....
RickH

Post by RickH »

tyreon wrote:My failure is to trust booking on line on a 'tablet'. I/we feel okay about booking online because we have an antivirus thingamebob here at home,but feel exposed when putting credit/debit card details whilst travelling abroad with a tablet computer. Is my 'fear' OTT?

There are equivalent apps, often free, from most of the major sources for tablets & phones. I'm running the Avast Mobile Security app on my Android phablet.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.