Agadir to Fes over Christmass

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
hostnation

Agadir to Fes over Christmass

Post by hostnation »

Hi there. I'm new to this forum...hopefully this is the right place to discuss upcoming tours.

Has anybody done this ride? At 470 miles Im hoping it shouldn't take more than 10 days. Does anybody have any tips (I've read food can be a bit scarce in places). Thinking about bivying for most of the time.

Does anybody fancy joining me? :)

Ed
b1ke

Re: Agadir to Fes over Christmass

Post by b1ke »

Hi
Which route are you taking? North along the coast and then inland at Casablanca/Rabat, or via Marrakech?

If it's the former, prevailing winds in Winter tend to come from the north and the coastline north of Essaouira is a bit pedestrian. On the upside, it's fairly flat.

If going via Marrakech, it would be a shame not to go over the High Atlas via Taroudant. This is a beautiful route and would take you over the Tizi n Test pass (2,200 metres), assuming the weather conditions are favourable.

Regarding food, there are small shops in most places where at very least you'll get bread and Laughing Cow cheese. In towns you can buy whatever food you want.

I'm going to be in Morocco from early November, but don't know if I'll still be there at Christmas. Feel free to pm me your email address and I'll keep you informed.
http://www.farewellburt.wordpress.com - Europe on a Tandem....
http://www.thespokeandwords.wordpress.com - West Africa on a Tandem....
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

I've cycled in Morocco twice, both times in December. I've started from Marrakech and from Agadir, though I didn't go to Fez, instead opting for the High and Anti atlas mountains. I've bivvied and used cheap hotels (about 5 -7 euros a night) I tend to stay off road and have found that due to the hospitality of Moroccans, you will not starve. There are many tiny shops selling bread, triangle cheese and hard boiled eggs and you can always ask for food from a truck carrying supplies (if you are sticking to the roads) Expect to pay the same rate you would pay in a shop though food will often be gifted. Return the favour when you have spare food. Stock up on dried fruit and nuts before you leave the towns. I hope you have a fab time. This Christmas I'm going elsewhere, so won't bump into you.
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Does that fare price include the ferry to Tangiers?
Of so, its a bargin. Last time I looked the ferry was £45.
May be more now.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.