Russia in January advice

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
marcj

Russia in January advice

Post by marcj »

Hi,

I plan on going through Russia going in from Georgia at the start on January. It's set to be as low as minus 10 degrees Celsius. Do you think it will be possible to cycle to Kazakhstan using the tyres: Schwalbe Marathon Winter 26 X 1.75 Wired Tyre with Kevlar Guard 200 Spikes Reflex, on a fully loaded bike?

Does anyone have any advice for this?

Regards
Therealsouthstander

Re: Russia in January advice

Post by Therealsouthstander »

-10 ?? Think you may be in for a shock....
marcj

Post by marcj »

-10 isn't that cold. But I would like some advice if you have any
james01

Post by james01 »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... emperature

-10 seems like an understatement when you look at these figures. Apart from the extreme cold and vodka-fuelled drivers you should be OK :? . Seriously, this trip needs careful research, hopefully someone on the forum will be able to advise.
marcj

Post by marcj »

I'll be staying fairly south so it could be slightly colder at times but I picked the northern most point of my trip to see what the maximum cold would be. Yes I was hoping there might be someone on here that may have done some Russian winter cycling. It'll be tough but not impossible I think
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Have a search through posts by shane, who's posted about winter touring, or by Helen Lloyd (calls herself takeonafrica), who toured Siberia in winter a while back.
greyingbeard

Post by greyingbeard »

Going to get a lot colder at night.
You might want studded tyres, lots of warm clothes, and 3 sleeping bags to wrap you up like a russian doll
No I havent done it and I down want to

Great adventure, be prepared
marcj

Post by marcj »

Thanks for the advice guys. Yes I have studded tyres. I'll look up those winter touring posts too
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

nirakaro wrote:Helen Lloyd (calls herself takeonafrica), who toured Siberia in winter a while back.

http://helenstakeon.com/
Bivvying out in -50, daytime cycling -40 :shock:
molzor

Post by molzor »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cycling-Home-Fr ... 0340979860 read this!

it wont give you much in terms of advice, but its a gooden.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

The first time I landed in Almaty the temperature was -25C. I stayed there for 4 weeks and the temperature was rarely above freezing during the day, and was generally between -10 and -20 at night. But that was an unusually cold spell. The second time I went there in midwinter, for a rather shorter visit, the conditions were not materially different from London.

But if you are proceeding on to China via the Ili valley you will at first travel into colder areas when you first enter China, you have to go over a low pass which is, I forget exactly what, something like 1250m, and the mountains around bring some cold too. Further east, at fairly similar latitudes, in Mongolia, -40 is nothing unusual.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

molzor wrote:http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cycling-Home-From-Siberia-Lilwall/dp/0340979860 read this!

it wont give you much in terms of advice, but its a gooden.

Beat me to it, but i was going to reference that book also.... great read.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Brrr. I was in Russia a couple of weeks ago and it was cold most nights. I can't offer any practical advice, but I can say that Georgian food is lovely and I'd love to cycle there. I asked some Russians about cycle touring and they recommended late Spring. But if January's when you have the time...
Sounds like a fabulous trip. How long are you out there for?
shane

Post by shane »

Helen's got more recent experience in Russia, but here's some general winter tips and the blogs from my winter trips.

http://www.shanecycles.com/category/win ... e-touring/

-10 is fine if you have the right gear and stay sharp, -10 is beter than anything up to zero degree's in a lot of respects but thats another story. In January your biggest enemy will be the lack of daylight.

Have a blast!!
ukpacker

Post by ukpacker »

Test water bottles for ability to hold boiling water, use insulation sleeves on them and use as hot water bottles. Petrol works best for cooking sub zero, gas can be used if the cannister can be turned upside down but the gas must be lit first with cannister upright and only then inverted ( other wise liquid gas can condense on the surface of the canister and conbust in a huge fireball when you try to light!) If you carry gas cannisters keep one in a jacket pocket so it is warm and ready for emergency warming, your fingers may not work. Obviously feet and hands will be very difficult to keep warm, plastic pedals and toe straps may help to keep feet warmer. Might be an idea to make something like motorcycle handlebar hoods.
The only time I have cycled in snow I had quite wide tyres but my companion used narrower road tyres, she actually found it easier and thought that her narrower tyres cut down to clear ground underneath whereas my wide tyres slithered around on a compacted snow surface, but temperature changes the crystal structure of snow, dry snow (where the temperature does not rise above -5 during the day ) is not slippery, it does not compact and fuse into ice in the way we experience in this country. Below -20 warm the air before it enters your lungs.
Post some pics when you get back and try to post a report with whatever fingers remain.
ukpacker