A19 Doncaster to Thirsk - safe?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
thebedfordfox

A19 Doncaster to Thirsk - safe?

Post by thebedfordfox »

I am looking to ride from Doncaster to Thirsk as quickly as possible, but - obviously - safely.
The most direct route is the A19 for much of the way. My memory of this road from driving it is somewhat sketchy - busy (negative) but single track (positive).
If you're more familiar with this road than I am (not difficult), I'd be most grateful to have a share of your local knowledge.
I'm not looking to have a roadside picnic or stop to pick flowers - I just want to take a safe, direct route.
TIA
MockCyclist

Re: A19 Doncaster to Thirsk - safe?

Post by MockCyclist »

I've done the A19 from Doncaster to York but not in one go, and I've only done it to link up routes of less busy roads. It's not my kind of cycling route but it's certainly tolerable and safe enough I feel. From Barlby or Riccall, you could pick up the surfaced TPT to York. North of York, I don't know.
thebedfordfox

Post by thebedfordfox »

Thanks MC.
An example of a busy but safe road I'm thinking of is the A38 north of Bristol. If they're single-carriageway, I tend to think they're OK.
pwa

Post by pwa »

I'd Google Map it and have a look at images along the road to get an idea.
thebedfordfox

Post by thebedfordfox »

Great idea. Thanks very much.
gottogetfit

Post by gottogetfit »

I live near the A19 at Selby. I wouldn't cycle on it.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I don't know Doncaster or Thirsk but I do know the A38 north of Bristol and agree with thebedfordfox above, it's fine for cycling, certainly as far as Upton. But having a look in streetview at the A19 at a random point between Thirsk and York, while it has similarities to the A38 in being a straight and level single carriageway, it is not as wide and it seems to be a trunk road, which often indicates busier and faster traffic, more lorries and junctions designed with speed in mind. As for judging traffic levels from streetview, I don't think it's reliable because often the googlecar goes out very early in the morning. In other words, local knowledge is still trumps (and might even come up with a preferable route for all I know!)
Dean

Post by Dean »

I've ridden it a few times - notably last month from York to Thirsk, as the bridge over the railway at Shipton was closed.

http://wayoftheroses.info/news/story/br ... _near_york

Monday morning, heavy rain, it wasn't much fun. It's usually OK at 6 am onna Sunday.

It's important to get off at Thirsk (take the left for Sowerby and in through Sowerby village) as north of Thirsk it becomes a horrible dual carriageway, which I assume you know.

Between York and Thirsk you can nip into the lanes pretty easily (bridge closures allowing), but yeah, the A19 is the direct route. I wouldn't fancy it with a camping load, but it's doable if you're pretty brisk. Not recommended at rat-run times, though.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

It's a major single carriageway A-road. I personally would avoid it like the plague.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

try something like cycle travel and see if there is an alternative route on quite roads
http://cycle.travel/
That is still direct enough to suit your needs. It not the best of roads for cycling and I haven't been near it in 30 years
NUKe

Post by Ben@Forest »

I wouldn't choose the A19 York - Thirsk but as Dean said you don't have to. After Skelton go Tollerton - Flawith - Helperby - Cundall - Topcliffe - Carlton Miniott and you're there. I think it adds about six miles. I'd especially avoid the A19 as it bypasses Easingwold - it's fast and where a lot of frustrated drivers finally get a chance to crank up to 70+ and overtake something only doing 60.
Timuk

Post by Timuk »

North of York I would defo not use the a19 and from Selby to York there is a dedicated cycleway in any case which is lovely. The bridge at Shipton says closed but actually it's only closed to vehicles. Pedestrians and bikes are fine. Use sustrans 65 from York as far as Alne cross then go to helperby and then Dalton, Sessay and on to Thirsk. Quicker and very pleasant, I ride it all the time. Selby to Thirsk the a19 is just not the best route and the alternative just as quick by bike.

Shout up if you want to know the best cafe stops etc. :-)

Cheers