Belgium rail strike 9 oct (affects UK & France)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Vorpal

Belgium rail strike 9 oct (affects UK & France)

Post by Vorpal »

I received the following today in email:
Belgium, France, UK: Expect disruption to rail services due to strike on 9 October
Members should expect significant disruption to rail services between France, Belgium and the UK due to a planned 24-hour strike from 22.00 (local time) on 8 October by workers of Belgian national rail operator SNCB affiliated to the CGSP-Cheminots union. Further strikes are tentatively planned for 19 and 20 October.
The work stoppage is expected to severely disrupt Belgium's national rail operations on 9 October, as well as services of the international Thalys trains, which will be almost entirely suspended. Eurostar services on the Brussels route will only be able to operate to and from the Lille Europe station (France), while services between Lille Europe and London St Pancras (UK) will run to a modified schedule.
Travel Advice
• If intending to undertake rail travel between Brussels or Lille Europe and London via Eurostar, check the status of trains prior to travel and readjust itineraries if required. We do not hold information on train schedules.
• Contact Eurostar directly to amend or cancel your bookings should you make alternative travel arrangements.
• If scheduled to travel on Thalys services on 9 October, make alternative arrangements. Those with bookings on 8 or 10 October should enquire about the status of the relevant service.

I guess most people who are travelling in this period will have received noification.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
iviehoff

Re: Belgium rail strike 9 oct (affects UK & France)

Post by iviehoff »

Eurostar is informing of no modification to London-Paris timetable. I'm due to travel to Paris on Eurostar, for the first time, on that day and am somewhat relieved.
http://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/travel-in ... ice-update
chocjohn9

Re: Belgium rail strike 9 oct (affects UK & France)

Post by chocjohn9 »

Yesterday some train drivers went to court to argue that blocking the tracks for the workers who wanted to work today, was a GOOD thing.
They won!

On Wednesday the buses, trams and underground were on strike.

It's like living in the UK during the 70s at times. (They are on the street, picketing with barrel fires etc today)

Thankfully, it's a relatively small country and car drivers do acknowledge the existence of cyclists :D
(But it is a pity that with such a reputation, the cycle path construction and maintenance is shocking :shock: and who ever thought that pavé was an excellent road surface, I hope was shot....they are still building cycle paths and roads with the stuff)