Trip report - Faro to Porto

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
bohrsatom

Re: Trip report - Faro to Porto

Post by bohrsatom »

Thanks for the inspiration iviehoff/boris. Useful advice for anyone planning a trip to the country.

@bigjim - I read your report before going away. We definitely ended up on a better route than you as really only had to deal with HGVs for a few miles on just one day. At other times I found the roads to be quiet and as a result the truck drivers generally overtook giving us lots of space.
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

Am thinking of going in January or February, southwards as it seems to be with the prevailing wind. any Thoughts, CTCtouring-peeps?
borisface

Post by borisface »

MartinBrice wrote:Am thinking of going in January or February, southwards as it seems to be with the prevailing wind. any Thoughts, CTCtouring-peeps?

Weather could be the main issue. It could be very wet or you maybe lucky and get some nice sunny and crisp days. Generally, it won't be as cold as the UK, although if its clear nights can be chilly. Serra da Estrela and maybe some other higher areas over say 1500m will probably have snow. One benefit is that Portugal has an hour extra daylight compared to the UK at that time of year. Whereabouts are you thinking if going?
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

Thanks for the blog. Got me thinking...
BeeKeeper

Post by BeeKeeper »

I can fly to Faro from Exeter with FlyBe but Porto is a deadend for me. Then I found there is a train linking Porto to Faro. :D
cycling-rayb

Post by cycling-rayb »

I've just done a very similar route to that. After getting to Porto I just went east into Spain around Zamora. Gets pretty hilly over that way. Felt like the gradients were generally pleasant but in some cases had some seriously steep parts.

Didn't realise it was so hilly, had a 17.5 mile climb, but it was like 4% average, so not that difficult.

Really enjoyed the cork lined roads in the south, shame that most of it is all fenced off, some great wild camping spots to be had.

Also, I think they have a problem with stray dogs, they are more than up for chasing a cyclist. Generally, will sit near your back wheel and bark. Didn't seem like they were likely to bite. Gets the heart pumping though and can get a good race out of them.

The police caught me camping one night, just said be careful about your belongings and left me to it.

It was slightly marred by 3 days of rain, put a downer on things.

Overall, cheap country with some delightful scenery.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

BeeKeeper wrote:Then I found there is a train linking Porto to Faro. :D

But what are you going to do with the bike? Although it is theoretically permitted to take bicycles on long distance trains, you will probably in practice find it impossible. There are aeroplanes from Porto to Faro, which may be more feasible.

On the Alfa Pendular trains, which includes the direct Porto-Faro train, the rule is:

Bikes can be transported so long as they are disassembled and properly packed as luggage that is no larger than fits in the luggage rack or under the seats, the space corresponding to the seats you have the right to, maximum one piece of luggage per person. - See more at: https://www.cp.pt/passageiros/en/passen ... 9l4NK.dpuf

The Portuguese are evidently a people who know how to say "no" while appearing to say "yes".

On the Intercidade trains, which includes some occasional slower trains from Porto to Lisboa, and many of the Lisboa to Algarve trains, we have the slightly more promising general rule

Bike transport is limited to the availability of the spaces - seats 15 and 17 in the 2nd class carriages. If these seats are not available only bikes that are disassembled and packed as luggage - See more at: https://www.cp.pt/passageiros/en/passen ... 9l4NK.dpuf

But then when we look at some specific intercidade trains, including the Lisboa to Algarve trains, it's as bad as the Alfa pendular

Beira Alta, Alentejo and Southern line Intercidades - Bikes can be transported so long as they are disassembled and properly packed as luggage that is no larger than fits in the luggage rack or under the seats, the space corresponding to the seats you ave the right to, maximum one piece of luggage per person - See more at: https://www.cp.pt/passageiros/en/passen ... 9l4NK.dpuf

It is straightforward and easy to take your bicycle on local commuter services around Porto and Lisboa, (which can go as far as 100km from town) and on some slow local trains here and there. But basically if you assume it is close to impossible on the long distance services, then you aren't far wrong. Long distance buses won't take your bikes either, unless you similarly disassemble and box them so that it is just unidentifiable luggage, and even then you might find that they just won't take you if you have a lot of luggage - it's the kind of country where someone might try to take a fridge home on the bus, and they clearly have to prevent that, resulting in some rather strict rules on luggage.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Last October we just wheeled our bikes onto trains ond nobody said a thing. We also took them on the Metro in Porto and Lisbon. For the bus we wrapped them in clingfilm and the driver took them on problem. At Lisbon bus station the ticket clerk said we could not take them. We went to inquiries and asked. We were told it was no problem. She phoned the driver and told him to expect the bikes. We just then went back to the ticket counter and bought two tickets not mentioning the bikes.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

bigjim wrote:Last October we just wheeled our bikes onto trains ond nobody said a thing. We also took them on the Metro in Porto and Lisbon. For the bus we wrapped them in clingfilm and the driver took them on problem. At Lisbon bus station the ticket clerk said we could not take them. We went to inquiries and asked. We were told it was no problem. She phoned the driver and told him to expect the bikes. We just then went back to the ticket counter and bought two tickets not mentioning the bikes.

Onto an Alfa Pendular or Intercidade? That would be interesting.

You can indeed just wheel your bikes onto the metro in Porto and Lisbon, and all rail services other than AP and IC. Though, at least last time I was there, there can be a charge, and I have been fined for not paying it when I decided to risk it as the queue was too long to pay it the proper way and the train was leaving.

Useful information about the bus services. I got no further than the ticket office saying "no".
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I really can't say which train company they were. One was a very long slow journey, about 6 hours in a stop everywhere old train. The other was a very modern train that took us into Lisbon main station. We did not pay on that one and got caught out. Details in my blog.
I never paid for the bikes on the Metro.
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

bigjim wrote:I really can't say which train company they were. One was a very long slow journey, about 6 hours in a stop everywhere old train. The other was a very modern train that took us into Lisbon main station. We did not pay on that one and got caught out. Details in my blog.
I never paid for the bikes on the Metro.

The terms I am using are classes of service, not companies. They are all operated by CP, but under a variety of brand names for the class of service.

I've just looked at your blog. You first used a Regional service, which is generally no probs with bikes, and then you used a Lisbon Commuter service, which is also no probs with bikes, but you should have a bike ticket. You got done for not having a bike ticket on the commuter train, as I did once.

The problematic trains for bikes are the Alfa Pendular = Pendolino services and Intercidade = Intercity which are generally semi-fast long distance mainline services. There is a train from Lisbon to Evora, but you didn't take it because you can't, it's one of those Intercidades that won't, unless you pack it into a matchbox. It was in Evora, trying to go the other way, that I had my last transport problem, because both trains and buses said no to me. But we got up early and managed to cycle from Evora to a place where you get a ferry for Lisbon by about 2pm, be it nearly 100 miles, as conditions were good, its very flat, and being a Sunday morning the road was quiet too.
jacksonz

Post by jacksonz »

The worst HGV and Bus drivers I've ever come across though.

Well Portugal really is fabulous, but the drivers are terrible. Coastal regions seem to be the worst. Yes, the truck driving is diabolical... It's interesting that the Spanish make jokes about Portuguese driving habits. All very strange because the Portuguese people are so friendly.

Nevertheless, that blog really brought back some wonderful memories. Thanks.