In an heavy raining day

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)

During a multi stage cycling trip, in a heavy raining day, what do you do?

continue riding
91%
go to the closest station to take first train
9%

Total votes: 35

pwa

Re: In an heavy raining day

Post by pwa »

This summer, in Provence, we had a day with heavy rain showers that eventually joined together in the afternoon and became torrential rain with lightning. We had seen the forecast and knew the day would be that way but we decided to ride through it. It was fine, and we even laughed at the way we continued when the rain was bouncing up off the road. When the lightning started we were about 10 miles from our destination (Orpierre) and upped our effort to 90% to minimise any danger. That was fun. When we reached Orpierre we still had a few miles to go to get to the camp site. My wife speaks French fluently, and she went into the tourist information place to ask them to contact our camp site and ask about any available caravans or chalets. We didn't fancy putting the tent up in the downpour. The result was a clean and odour-free ancient caravan that the laid back campsite owner provided for a small extra charge. Perfect. If we had ducked out of that day we would have missed out.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I've never quit because of the rain, it can actually be quite fun riding in the rain from time to time. Memories are usually made up of the days that are exceptional for one reason or another rather than the mundane days. I recall riding from Blackpool to Chester through the remnants of Hurricane Bill in 2009, it was torrential as I passed through Warrington, but the evening sun was enough to dry me off by the time I arrived.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I have had two occasions--once when cycling, and once when walking long distance--where I would have taken the train or the bus if it had been an option. I was cold, wet, miserable, and other things were going wrong, like punctures on the bike or blisters on my feet.

In both circumstances, there was little option except carrying on, at least that day (no public transport available). The next day, though, things looked better. The walking tour was B&B, so I at least had a hot meal and comfortable bed after a miserable day.

Otherwise, the only thing that will get me onto a bus or train is a mechanical that I cannot sort out by the side of the road.

It's got to be really bad before I'd rather be somewhere else than out on my bike.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

I can't narrow it down to one of those options. It depends on so many factors: camping or staying in some sort of 'solid' accommodation (hotel, b&b, yha, ... )? What's the temperature? Wind? Terrain? How far to the next place? Is there a set next place? And so on...
mjr

Post by mjr »

tyreon wrote:To carry on cycling in heavy rain = depression,anger,divorce...wet feet,no matter what you wear+++(excepting full waterproof trousers etc)

Both military boots with rain channels and wellies(!) work quite well for avoiding wet feet, but aren't ideal for cycling (especially the wellies, which flop back and forth quite a bit) and are quite big to carry when not cycling. Does anyone make cycling-friendly shoes with rain channels or a quick way to dry them off? Or are waterproof trousers onto waterproof overshoes and hope the rain doesn't get in from beneath as good as it gets?

tyreon wrote:I salute and endorse VC's to those who continue to cycle thru the deluge: not sure of your reasoning!

What are VC's?

psmiffy wrote:And sometimes just riding in wild weather fully togged up and immune to the elements can be exhilarating in itself

This, although I've not yet done a multi-day tour, so I've not had to deal with the problem of trying to dry things off for the next day's riding.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
pwa

Post by pwa »

VC = Victoria Cross, awarded for valour in battle.
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

mjr wrote:Both military boots with rain channels and wellies(!) work quite well for avoiding wet feet,

I'm well-versed in the virtues of wellies —they were standard wear for springtime when I were a lad. But what are "military boots with rain channels"?
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

As usual, the answer is "it depends".

Elements of dependency are convenience of alternatives, ambient temperature, how hard it's raining, if there's sleet in there too, how far I have to go, etc. etc. Which boils down to whether the overcoming of the adversity will leave me with a greater glow than just saying to hell with it and getting out before it gets any worse.

Most of my hobbies involve human-powered travel (as well as cycling, there's ski, foot, canoe and kayak touring), and across the board it's the case that just because I love them most of the time doesn't mean I can't have a bad day at any of them. There's the old saying that there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad equipment, but over the years I've discovered there can be a time limit on that.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Go in the dry season. Unfortunately this rules out much of Europe and all of UK.

I agree, a third option needed. I usually take a rest day(s) until its over. Typhoons usually only last a day or two and time it right and you can have a wonderful tail wind!
mjr

Post by mjr »

Mistik-ka wrote:I'm well-versed in the virtues of wellies —they were standard wear for springtime when I were a lad. But what are "military boots with rain channels"?

The sides of the bottom half (or more?) of the tongue join the back of the laceholes, forming a sort of leather gutter which lets the rain flow down and off the sides of the boot. This is very helpful when you're moving forwards and air flow is effectively pushing some of the rain that lands on the tongue sideways before it can trickle down.

I guess the army doesn't like to march with wet feet any more than it must! :lol:
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Mistik-ka

Post by Mistik-ka »

mjr wrote:
Mistik-ka wrote:I'm well-versed in the virtues of wellies —they were standard wear for springtime when I were a lad. But what are "military boots with rain channels"?

The sides of the bottom half (or more?) of the tongue join the back of the laceholes, forming a sort of leather gutter which lets the rain flow down and off the sides of the boot.

Thanks mjr. These are what I know as "good hiking boots." :wink:
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

mjr wrote:Does anyone make cycling-friendly shoes with rain channels or a quick way to dry them off?

Sandals.
Skin's waterproof, and the sandal itself dries fairly quickly.
Contrary to what you might think, they aren't particularly cold, but if you want extra warmth sealskin socks, or ordinary socks with waterproof oversocks, works well, and socks are a lot easier to dry than shoes.
I use the (old model) Exustar SS502 SPD sandals
cyclingovereurope

Post by cyclingovereurope »

mjr wrote: Does anyone make cycling-friendly shoes with rain channels or a quick way to dry them off? Or are waterproof trousers onto waterproof overshoes and hope the rain doesn't get in from beneath as good as it gets?

I tried to put waterproof trousers with a small overshoes over the overshoes, but troubles come from underneath. Instead, I think best cover for the helmet is the shower cap (easy to find at the hotel room)!!!!
horizon

Post by horizon »

TBH I was quite surprised at the OP. Cycling in the rain in the UK or anywhere warm is (for me at any rate) very pleasant: the rain reduces fumes and dust and clears the air. It's also refreshing and, as most people will attest, vastly better than cycling into a headwind. Modern clothing is pretty amazing so you should be able to keep warm and dry on your body area. The real problem IMV is getting cold. If that has come about as the consequence of rain, then yes, it might be time to find place to warm up and/or dry out or put on an extra layer (panniers anyone?).

I'm just wondering if, as time goes by, an entire generation of children having spent their time in the back of cars will have grown up not having learnt the pleasures of being out in the rain.

PS The OP mentioned heavy rain and that might make cycling impractical (flooding etc) but otherwise is also OK. The other point to make is that rain usually comes with a warm front or tropical clouds. So warm and rain usually go together (not always I accept).
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Gaiters worn over waterproof trousers will keep feet dry as long as the shoes are waterproof.