In an heavy raining day

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)

During a multi stage cycling trip, in a heavy raining day, what do you do?

continue riding
91%
go to the closest station to take first train
9%

Total votes: 35

bikepacker

Re: In an heavy raining day

Post by bikepacker »

whoof wrote:On this years summer tour I rode 60 miles besides the river Doubs towards Bescancon and it rained all day. It was lovely as I saw more water voles (2) than people (1). I had a water proof jacket and over-trousers so was warm, dry and comfortable.

Three weeks ago we ate lunch as we sheltered under the bridge by Baume les Dames in a thunder storm. By the time we got to Besancon it was a beautiful sunny day.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
ossie

Post by ossie »

bikepacker wrote:
whoof wrote:On this years summer tour I rode 60 miles besides the river Doubs towards Bescancon and it rained all day. It was lovely as I saw more water voles (2) than people (1). I had a water proof jacket and over-trousers so was warm, dry and comfortable.

Three weeks ago we ate lunch as we sheltered under the bridge by Baume les Dames in a thunder storm. By the time we got to Besancon it was a beautiful sunny day.

ha ha, a couple of weeks ago I was sheltering in the tunnel in Besancon as it tipped down..the days leg started in Clerval (massive overnight thunderstorms)..ended in Dole..mixed weather to say the least
Bigdummysteve

Post by Bigdummysteve »

andrew_s wrote:
mjr wrote:Does anyone make cycling-friendly shoes with rain channels or a quick way to dry them off?

Sandals.
Skin's waterproof, and the sandal itself dries fairly quickly.
Contrary to what you might think, they aren't particularly cold, but if you want extra warmth sealskin socks, or ordinary socks with waterproof oversocks, works well, and socks are a lot easier to dry than shoes.
I use the (old model) Exustar SS502 SPD sandals

Exactly my setup, Spd sandals are great, I have weathered 10 hours of heavy rain and still had dry comfortable feet. Neoprene over shoes extend for cold weather and your covered.
Nigelrojo

Post by Nigelrojo »

Had a couple of days last summer when I rode all day in the rain (albeit not too heavy). I found that a decent waterproof jacket, Madison waterproof cycling shorts, goretex gloves, and a pair of waterproof overshoes / galoshes did the trick. The galoshes looked decidedly uncool but they kept my feet toasty and dry. I never felt the need for full waterproof overtrousers.